Looking for input for an as of yet untitled Daunton mystery

Graf

Explorer
The idea seems great, but there is something that ,maybe with my limited understanding of English, I'm loosing:
Which could be the motivation for the search of the missing writer? I mean, sure, he has good informants, and tells the truth (as we say here, with no hair in his tong) but it's just a mysteriously sensationalist paper publisher. I think there should be someone very interested in founding him, or limited to Dauton characters who could develop some sort of emotional feeling or duty feeling about the missing guy.
That's what we're trying to establish....
Palindrome's mentor is an arcanist, he could easily
1) assume magic is involved
2) want to find out more

Woe may be connected because he has an existing relationship with Palindrome going back to something that happened 10 years ago. (I leave it up to the players to decide...)

As for other characters? It depends on what we can come up with as a rational.

KenHood

First Post
Palindrome...

Oh, I'm sure some dowager has contacted the wise and almighty Doddoddod to deal with the slurs to her reputation.

And I'm equally sure that Palindrome would love to get his hands on the paper and assume control of it...

Uh, all for the public good.

Dunamin

First Post
If Palindrome and Woe met 10 years ago, they would have been respectively 11 and 14. They could actually simply have become childhood friends, especially since they both seem to be have been troublemakers at some point.

Fun fact:
Palindrome likes to turn conversation away from himself. Woe likes to turn conversation towards himself. :D

Graf

Explorer
So can I leave you two to work up a backstory where you know each other from your respective youths. (Yuts?)

Anybody else interested or will this be a two person game?

KenHood

First Post
Probably not childhood friends...

If Palindrome and Woe met 10 years ago, they would have been respectively 11 and 14. They could actually simply have become childhood friends, especially since they both seem to be have been troublemakers at some point.

P and Dod(x3) "migrated" to Daunton to get away from something in their past. If your character knew P as a child, this would be a source of consternation for the pair.

Since your character is a mercenary with streetwise and stealth training, it makes sense the Dod(x3) would hire you for muscle on jobs. You know your way around the "bad parts" of town, and you can keep hidden, so you can tail a suspect.

If you're going with a Nero Wolfe idea...
Doddoddod is Nero Wolfe. Palindrome fits the role of Archie Goodwin. Woe would be the Saul Panzer of the group.

Nero Wolfe supporting characters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dunamin

First Post
I’m pretty unfamiliar with the Nero Wolfe series but I guess it doesn’t sound too far off.

Technically, Dod*3 would have contacted the Skyborn mercenary company and their captain Kern would have offered the job to Woe. If everything went well, Woe would be given first dibs on further such contracts with the client. I figure dealings would primarily have been about 2 to 4 years ago then, before the Dylanthas incident but after Woe have proven himself enough to his company to be offered clients as wealthy as Dod*3.

By the way, Palindrome will have noticed that his lifestyle of celibacy and abstinence will compared to Woe’s be quite… contrasting... ;)

nerdytenor

First Post
I'm interested - don't have a lot of time to post today. Tander is a naturally curious and helpful fellow, if somewhat odd. Let me know if you think he could be worked in somehow. He has his own great mystery to solve, perhaps he'd like to try his hand at something he has a decent chance of actually figuring out. Hmm...

Graf

Explorer
I'm interested - don't have a lot of time to post today. Tander is a naturally curious and helpful fellow, if somewhat odd. Let me know if you think he could be worked in somehow. He has his own great mystery to solve, perhaps he'd like to try his hand at something he has a decent chance of actually figuring out. Hmm...
We'd be glad to have you.
The simplest thing would be to say that Tander contacts Dod*3 to get help with his mystery... but he can't offer payment.

So Dod*3 offers a "you scratch my back, I scratch your back" type offer.
Work for me for a bit and I'll pay you a living wage and see if I can give you any hints about your origin type thing.​

nerdytenor

First Post
We'd be glad to have you.
The simplest thing would be to say that Tander contacts Dod*3 to get help with his mystery... but he can't offer payment.

So Dod*3 offers a "you scratch my back, I scratch your back" type offer.
Work for me for a bit and I'll pay you a living wage and see if I can give you any hints about your origin type thing.​

That works better than the idea I was about to post. Let's go with it.

Thanks,
- nt

Remove ads