looking to be build powerful level 12 duelist

Will

First Post
Well, I probably wouldn't. The siangham suits a monk/duelist, though. It can be used in a flurry _and_ it's a light piercing weapon, so it satisfies conditions for a duelist.

I've considered the monk/duelist a few times. It's a close call, though. I like the idea, just not sure it stacks up well next to a rogue/duelist.

Darklone

DemonAtheist said:
as a house rule, would any of you allow a monk/duelist to use flurry of blows with a rapier? id like to get a feeling before i run it by my dm.
Looking at these tai-chi swords... I would.

mhd

Adventurer
Looking at these tai-chi swords... I would.

I'm all for expanding the monk's weapon list, but a rapier-wielding monk? That would require some heavy modifications, as the core rule monk seriously evokes Shaolins...
Jumping around and flurrying just doesn't mix with swashbuckling. As my prime evidence I present the "Musketeer" movie. There they mixed hong kong choreography with Dumas heroes. It has to be seen to be believed (And hey, I love both Swashbuckling and Kung Fu movies as much as the next guy)

Hong's martial artist might be useful: http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/martialartist.htm

Last edited:

~Johnny~

First Post
I spent a while thinking about what I'd want out of a swashbuckling character, and I came up with a concept that's a very different spin; it doesn't even involve the Duelist or Swashbuckler classes. I think it meets this requirement, though:

This character would (more image stuff) be able to quickly close the distance, then be nigh untouchable in combat as he dances around, aloof and secure in his ability, getting consistent criticals (rapiers do that).

Try a Rogue 4/Fighter 2/Dervish 6. The Rogue levels give you the foundation of acrobatic and social skills, the fighter supplies the bonus feats you need for a specailized combat class like this, and the Dervish is your constantly-in-motion, nigh untouchable, flashy combat character. If you're using 25 point buy, give your 12th-level character Str 14, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 12.

Me, I'd probably do things a little differently, because when playing a swashbuckler, the social skills are as important as the combat. I'd take an extra level of rogue, and as a pure style decision, I'd use a cutlass instead of the obvious scimitar choice. My character would look something like this:

http://www.coveworld.net/eberron/dervish-swashbuckler.gif

He'd focus his rogue skills on Bluff, Diplomacy, Jump, Sense Motive, and Tumble. He'd wear leather (maybe studded). As far as roleplaying goes, he'd be your standard honorable scoundrel, though his upper-class pretentions would be a charade. As opposed to the calm and collected Dorian Gray concept, my take would be a bit more brash. He'd also turn his nose up at dungeon crawls, far more interested in the high seas or the world's greatest cities. Actually, this is one character that's a pretty natural fit for my own personality ...though in that case a 12 Charisma might be a bit low. :)

DemonAtheist

First Post
re dervish...that sounds really good. short of buying the book (or borrowing it from a friend; not a big deal really), is there a website that has the info for this PrC )or just prc's in general)?. In any case, the dervish sounds like a good idea that matches my image...ill have to check it out

Darklone

Aye... and the MiniHB perchance? Feats like Sidestep, Hurling Charge and/or Powerful Charge may help a Swashbuckler build a lot (for causing more damage with puny rapiers).

DemonAtheist

First Post
well...i wound up going barbarian 2, fighter 1, swashbuckler 3, duelist 6.

it seems to suit the character very well, as the levels represent a sort of journey from savagery to civilized, while at the same time maintaining his ability to act like...well...a barbarian. Just once in a while flying into a blind rage with a rapier...that sort of thing.

At the same time, the build doesnt have weapon specialization, but i guess insightful strike makes up for it.

I've given him a wounding +2 rapier...he should have fun come game time

thanks for the help guys

kwiqsilver

First Post
Making a character you find interesting is more important than a few damage bonuses.
If you're going to head the super crit direction, check out the Enfeebling ability (Book of Exalted Deeds p113). On a crit, you do 1d6+2 Str damage. Also check out the Sword of Life Stealing in the DMG. My DM and I agreed that it would cost 18kgp to put on a weapon.
And of course, if you haven't already, convince your DM that improved critical and keen should stack, because one is a skill bonus, and the other is a magical enhancement. When my duelist detailed above reaches 12th level (he'll be debuting at 6th level this Sunday), I hope to have a +2 (or +3) Keen, Life Stealing, Enfeebling Elven Thinblade, threatening a crit (and therefore 1d6+2 Strength Damage, and 2 negative levels) on a 12 or better. (Maybe a few levels of Weapon Master to get Ki Critical--crit on a 10?)
I might steal your barbarian idea...two levels of that would give Uncanny Dodge (a lifesaver, for somebody who's AC is all Dex/Dodge based). And +10 movement added to the Quick Trait would allow me to outpace the Dwarven Monk ;).

DemonAtheist

First Post
i actually like the not stacking criticals, as it seems more balanced to me...especially with the vorpal modifier lurking somewhere (waves). 15-20 seems more than enough to me. the other thing is make sure youre figuring the costs correctly...my +2 wounding rapier costs 22320 gp, unless im doing something wrong (caster level 10 x spell level 7 x 2000 = 14000; +8000 for +2 modifier; +320 for masterwork rapier). I'm pretty sure a level 6 character shouldnt be able to afford that, unless youre house ruling it in which case you just have a higher powered campaign than mine.

and yes thats the point of the barbarian levels...im just glad it matches my character image as well. we'll see how it goes this friday; in my party i'm competing with a pure level 12 monk...should be interesting to see who is more combat savvy (he's going unarmed grappler...oh yeah he's wearing the monk's belt...scary )

anyway, good times

Remove ads