Looking to Beef Up Brain in A Jar NPC

Muaythaidaddy

First Post
I really like the imagery and the idea behind the Brain in a Jar, which was introduced in Libris Mortis. However, I'm having a hard time beefing the monster up and advancing it for a higher level party. Adding class levels becomes a probloem because, well, it's just a brain and that has obvious drawbacks when casting spells or trying to enter melee.

Any ideas for templates and or advancement schemes? Any help would be VERY appreciated.

Muaythaidaddy

First Post
See, the problem with using Still Spell and Silent Spell is that they up the caster level of the spell, which makes it even harder to use higher level spells, especially ones that will damage/challenge the PCs.

Are there any good templates, advancement schemes out there?

darthkilmor

First Post
Muaythaidaddy said:
Any ideas for templates and or advancement schemes? Any help would be VERY appreciated.

What about just adding more of them ? Like a mad wizards lab could have 10-20 on the shelfs(and probably a fair bit of normal brains/body parts in jars so as to not raise suspision)

Marchen

First Post
Can it take class levels? I don't remember off hand.

I had an idea for an adventure where an entire small village had been mentally enslaved by a brain in a jar. I thought it would be great when the party confronts the great villain, only to find some shriveled grey matter in pickle brine.

Maybe sorcerer/psion levels?

darthkilmor

First Post
Marchen said:
Can it take class levels? I don't remember off hand.

I had an idea for an adventure where an entire small village had been mentally enslaved by a brain in a jar. I thought it would be great when the party confronts the great villain, only to find some shriveled grey matter in pickle brine.

Maybe sorcerer/psion levels?

I dont have LM but does it say anything about where the brain comes from ? Perhaps it could be the brain of a mind flayer or aboleth(big jar!), and give it all their mental powers in addition to whatever it starts with. Certainly plausible plot for a mind flayer, died far away from its elder brain and others stuck it in a jar. or even as punishment for some transgression stuck it in a jar.

dvvega

Explorer
I'd take the golem idea however what I would do is give the Brain Psion or Sorcerer levels.

I would then take the Shield Guardian and make it the brain's "body". If he was a Psion I would make it a variation that is crystalline or something similar.

Now that's what I would do.

Of course if I could get Maester levels and get someone else to make my familiar for me, I would also have something that can travel next to my Shield Guardian for extra mechanical fun.

D

Remove ads