• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking to buy a TV

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
Always a good idea to go with a name known for their electronics. If that doesn't work then do your homework and find reviews from a third party like Consumer Reports.

You want to also go to the store and compare them side by side. Also something I learned. The sets in the store are tweaked to look their best. The set you get is at factory default. Ask the salesman to show you what the default setting look like. Also check to see if they have free delivery and setup or how much it will cost.

27" HDTV for 400 seems to be a nice price.

DerianCypher

First Post
well.. that 19" is actually a widescreen model so you'll have that which is nice. The insignia is a slimfit TV which means it'll be heavy like a you-know-what but it'll be smaller in the back.. lighter than a standard tube tv.

I actually work at said retailer in the customer service dept. I'd recommend you stay away from the westinghouse.. those things do come back quite often. One the other hand though.. if memory serves, the insignia has only a 90 manf. warranty, but they do offer an in-home 4 yr warranty for something like $50.

Just let me know if you have more questions!

jonathan swift

First Post
DerianCypher said:
well.. that 19" is actually a widescreen model so you'll have that which is nice. The insignia is a slimfit TV which means it'll be heavy like a you-know-what but it'll be smaller in the back.. lighter than a standard tube tv.

I actually work at said retailer in the customer service dept. I'd recommend you stay away from the westinghouse.. those things do come back quite often. One the other hand though.. if memory serves, the insignia has only a 90 manf. warranty, but they do offer an in-home 4 yr warranty for something like $50.

Just let me know if you have more questions!

So neither company is really known for actual quality of their products? I was also looking at some of the bigger Westinghouse TVs if i can scrape up some extra money, but if they have problems then I'll want to stay away.

Ranger REG

Explorer
jonathan swift said:
I'm looking to get an HDTV soon. I was looking at two on Best Buy's website, and was wondering if anyone who understood HDTVs better than me could tell me which one of these would be a better buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...+Flat+Tube+HDTV&type=product&id=1130981881933

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...HDTV&lp=2&type=product&cp=11&id=1142288915135
Of the two choices above, I prefer the Insignia since it has a HD TV tuner built-in. It also has two AV inputs (to connect my DVD player via component and my VCR via composite), an audio output (to connect TV sound to my bookshelf stereo system), and HDMI input (to connect my PC). They even throw in a headphone jack.

Also, the remote is universal, if you have DVD or VCR devices of recognizable brand.

Of course, the fact that Insignia is an in-house brand for Best Buy (the company), I'm wary if it is as good as recognizable brands. Make sure you consult Best Buy on their service and warranty plan.

Of course, it is a standard CRT TV so like any old set, you need a pretty deep base or stand (at least 20 inches from front to back).

source: www.insignia-products.com

The Westinghouse is an HD-ready monitor, which means you'll need one of them external set-top HD TV tuners to receive digital broadcasting signals. I'd examine how many video inputs you have and what type especially if you like connecting your DVD, VCR, and whatnot -- in addition to the HD TV tuner. The only good thing about this one is saving space.

source: www.westinghousedigital.com

I wouldn't mind the 27-inch Insignia but I got a 14-inch deep shelving. I'm hoping that by Christmas, rather than March 2007, there will be smaller HD TV sets with built-in ATSC digital tuners.

Last edited:

Fiery James

First Post
Once you stray out of the top tier brands, the similarities aren't that different. There are really only a handful of LCD manufacturing plants, and you'd be surprised to see how many TVs under different names have the same panels. Of course, the difference is in what is used to run them.

Insignia is the Best Buy house brand, which means that they've either Direct Imported it from China or go throug a third-party that does so. Westinghouse is pretty much the same, except it comes to them through a vendor.

The stats on the 32" Westinghouse look good -- for that money, it will be fine for you. It has a built-in HD tuner, which is great if you're in an area that's broadcasting HD over the air (unlike Canada, which has very little HD broadcasts -- you need to get an HD box up here). Be warned that analog channels generally look crappy on HD sets. Still, the US is going all HD over the next few years, so you're ahead of the curve.

The other thing to know is that LCD prices are dropping dramatically, and there will be incredible deals over the next few months. Black Friday will be a TV giveaway period in the US; up here in Canada, I'd suggest LCD TV buyers who can wait until Boxing Week do so -- it will be crazy.

Anyway, we're straying into my work area, and I'm likely to go on and on and on, so I'll stop now, after saying -- check out the TV in the store. If you dig it, get it. It's got a one-year warranty, so unless it is DOA when you bring it home, you should be in good hands. Hold on to the original box, just in case. If there are issues, they'll likely make you send it in original packaging to a repair facility (unless they offer in-home service, but 32" is not really big enough to justify that...). So, keep the receipt and the box for the next year, but if you're good after 30 days, you probably have nothing to worry about.

- James

Ranger REG

Explorer
Fiery James said:
Still, the US is going all HD over the next few years, so you're ahead of the curve.
If you mean digital broadcasting signals, they have to by 2009. I'm kinda worried that in my neck of the wood (i.e., the many islands that make up the State of Hawaii), digital signals won't be receptive in distant and remote areas, especially with a lot of terrains -- like former and active volcano mountains.

BTW, here's something I need to know: what's 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i/p?

Ranger REG

Explorer
xmanii said:
I heard that we will be getting two $40 vouchers, to buy the new TV's, in 2007. Is this true?
Supposedly, but I just don't know how they will distribute the vouchers (or rebates) and who qualifies for them.

"They" being FCC and our US government.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads