Lord of the Rings TV Show Reboot

Now here's a thought ... Steampunk Middle Earth, but use a WWI-era Europe with some kingdom changes..

Frodo & Co. accompanied by Magitech Engineer Gandalf cross a war-torn Europe during the period of the first Magitech War to cast the Lord of Time's watch of power back into the fires of the factory in the Ruhr from whence it came.

Start in London (the Shire), by steam train and boat to France where they pause in Paris before having to attempt tunnels through the Alps to avoid the Western Front, pausing in Bern for a respite before moving on (Gandalf having fallen to a steam Golem). The part splits; Merry & Pippin captured by Austrian orcs and taken east while Frodo & Sam continue north toward the Ruhr. The Nine Pilots are abroad; having been defeated in their cars by the channel crossings, they are now in magitech aircraft, while the Zepplin assault on Muenchen is forming up in the Rhineland. Aragorn rescues the hobbits while taking Austria out of the picture, and raising the Bohemians come to the aid of a beseiged Muenchen whilst Frodo and Sam reach the outskirts of Berlin ...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not sure that's much of a change from what Middle Earth actually was.

Except the Shire isn't the early 1900s industrial capital of the world; London's the exact opposite of the Shire. Its probably some West Country village. Or Wales.

Ryujin

Legend
That sounds like exactly the sort of remake that I dislike. If you change something that much, then you might as well just make something new.

I'm not sure that's much of a change from what Middle Earth actually was.

Except the Shire isn't the early 1900s industrial capital of the world; London's the exact opposite of the Shire. Its probably some West Country village. Or Wales.

Fair enough ... a village. London can stand in for Bree.

Part of the point being, it needs to be familiar, yet different enough to be worth rebooting with a different artistic take. Just rebooting into a variation of Jackson's Middle Earth is kind of pointless, IMO.

well we got some info about it :

Set in Middle Earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines preceding “The Fellowship of the Ring.” The deal also includes a potential additional spin-off series. The series will be produced by Amazon Studios in cooperation with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line Cinema, a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/lord-rings-series-moving-forward-180729545.html

My memories of reading the books will now be ruined forever....:p

EDIT: *sigh* now I want a steampunk anime based on middle earth....

Remove ads