Lord of the Rings TV Show Reboot

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Of course.

But let's not allow Mistwell's attempt at derailing the discussion to succeed. Whether the film is a mega-bomb or just a huge flop isn't important - the question is whether it's disneyfication had anything to do with it.

What fantasy properties do you look forward to becoming TV series in this golden age of television?

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

The Disney aspect didn't hurt it, the lack of proper marketing combined with a bloated budget did it in. A lower budget film making the same money would have been considered a "hit."

I'm intrigued as to the direction the Sony Wheel of Time series might take: interesting material, but frankly might be better as animation.

Gadget

Adventurer
The Disney aspect didn't hurt it, the lack of proper marketing combined with a bloated budget did it in. A lower budget film making the same money would have been considered a "hit."

I'm intrigued as to the direction the Sony Wheel of Time series might take: interesting material, but frankly might be better as animation.

I liked John Carter. It wasn't perfect, and the movie suffered from too many 'opening sequences' to set things up (rather the reverse of many of the criticisms of Return of the King), but I thought it told a cool story, even if it didn't exactly follow the book.

As for the Wheel of Time, I agree that it might be better served by Avatar:The Last Airbender style animation (or perhaps a Clone Wars Style animation), but I just don't see studios settling for that. I'm curious what company is left to stream The Wheel of Time. HBO has made it clear that it is not interested in a new Big Budget Franchise of the Fantasy genera, Amazon is laying out a King's ransom for Tolkien, Netflix has its marvel properties. Maybe AMC?

Anyways, I'm not hopeful for a tLotR series on Amazon. I just don't see them really doing the setting or storytelling method justice.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I liked John Carter. It wasn't perfect, and the movie suffered from too many 'opening sequences' to set things up (rather the reverse of many of the criticisms of Return of the King), but I thought it told a cool story, even if it didn't exactly follow the book.

As for the Wheel of Time, I agree that it might be better served by Avatar:The Last Airbender style animation (or perhaps a Clone Wars Style animation), but I just don't see studios settling for that. I'm curious what company is left to stream The Wheel of Time. HBO has made it clear that it is not interested in a new Big Budget Franchise of the Fantasy genera, Amazon is laying out a King's ransom for Tolkien, Netflix has its marvel properties. Maybe AMC?

Anyways, I'm not hopeful for a tLotR series on Amazon. I just don't see them really doing the setting or storytelling method justice.
Netflix is losing Marvel in a few years, and there is also Hulu. Time will tell what Sony is able to make of Wheel of Time.

Remove ads