Lord of the Rings TV Show Reboot

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The numbers are much worse than they appear, since usually a studio only gets 30-50% of the total (after theatres, etc.). I do believe Disney officially made use of the losses for tax purposes.

No movie had ever made a profit for tax purposes. Star Wars is still in the red...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The numbers are much worse than they appear, since usually a studio only gets 30-50% of the total (after theatres, etc.). I do believe Disney officially made use of the losses for tax purposes.

For domestic, Studios get 50-55% of box office. You can see that data in the public filings of companies like Cinemark Holdings. None of the take is anywhere close to 30%. Even overseas it averages 40% or higher, depending on the location.

The budget number is also deceptive. It often includes budget shared between different films, including a share of studio overhead.

But on-balance the point stands: the movie was nowhere near the "biggest bomb in recent box office history".

CapnZapp

Legend
Production Budget: $250 million
Worldwide Ticket Sales:$284 million

So, not an amazing success, but it was also not a total bomb and far from "biggest box-office bomb in recent history". 47 Ronin, Ben-Hur (2016), King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, The Finest Hours, Live by Night, Monster Trucks, Aloha, Blackhat, and Pan are all movies since 2015 that did substantially worse than John Carter overall.

Most people think the reason it didn't do better had to do with the name (which was a last minute change) and the marketing (which didn't have much relationship to what was actually in the movie) and the last minute loss of faith in the movie prior to release from the studio resulting in a much smaller marketing budget than had been planned.
Why are you quibbling?

I made a point, adress it!

(Or how about simply staying in silent agreement for once, eh?)

Derailing this thread into finance speculation doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Why are you quibbling?

Why are you exaggerating when there is no need to exaggerate?

I made a point, adress it!

I did. You were wrong. Address that!

Derailing this thread into finance speculation doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Then perhaps you should not have derailed the thread into finance speculation by making a claim (which was inaccurate) about how this was the biggest bomb in recent history?

You know, you COULD just admit you goofed up for once. Nothing bad will happen to you if you do that. Nobody will think less of you or pay less attention to your views if you admit to messing up something. It will just make you look more human, not less.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Why are you exaggerating when there is no need to exaggerate?

I did. You were wrong. Address that!

Then perhaps you should not have derailed the thread into finance speculation by making a claim (which was inaccurate) about how this was the biggest bomb in recent history?

You know, you COULD just admit you goofed up for once. Nothing bad will happen to you if you do that. Nobody will think less of you or pay less attention to your views if you admit to messing up something. It will just make you look more human, not less.
Well, there were two claims, one being the exaggeration which you point out, the other being that the film's financial failure is due to being PG-13. The latter claim is fairly absurd, given the history of box office performance in R vs. PG-13 movies.

CapnZapp

Legend
Calling it the biggest bomb in recent history is approximately true.

Not letting that slide reveals that you are more interested in finding faults than having a discussion.

For the second and final time, I invite you to make a post that is actually on topic.

Do you believe my theory has any merit, or not?

To repeat:
a) that John Carter performed poorly at least in part because of the discrepancy between Disney wholesomeness (American nudity moral panic) and the source material
b) that Witcher can suffer the same result for the same decision

Z

CapnZapp

Legend
For what it is worth, according to everything I can find, John Carter is one of the ten biggest flops of all time (8th biggest financial flop, specifically), with $125 million in losses for Disney:

http://www.filmsite.org/greatestflops.html
Of course.

But let's not allow Mistwell's attempt at derailing the discussion to succeed. Whether the film is a mega-bomb or just a huge flop isn't important - the question is whether it's disneyfication had anything to do with it.

What fantasy properties do you look forward to becoming TV series in this golden age of television?

Remove ads