Lord of the Rings TV Show Reboot

I'm surprised anything by Tolkein would ever see the light of day after Peter Jackson's Hobbit. Pretty sure Christopher Tolkein said, "Over my dead body." I would really like to see a good Childrin of Hurin, but it's way too Germanic a tale that wouldn't likely go over well with modern American audiences unless they Hollywoodized it. If they did that, I just might have to burn someone's house down. :/

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

For The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit specifically, Christoher Tolkien has no say - Middle-earth Enterprises (Zaentz Company) holds the rights. Chris holds the rights (I think) to everything else his father wrote though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'll move this over to the Media Lounge for you and merge it with the existing thread. :)

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
I really hope that this and the proposed Netflix witcher series feed of each other and we get good arguments over which show is better
At least one thing is (hopefully) not up for debate, that of mature content.

(Producing a PG-13 version of The Witcher makes as much sense as a PG-13 Barsoom film, ie none at all, and will meet the same fate if Netflix is foolish enough to go in Disney's footsteps)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Jhaelen

First Post
(Producing a PG-13 version of The Witcher makes as much sense as a PG-13 Barsoom film, ie none at all, and will meet the same fate if Netflix is foolish enough to go in Disney's footsteps)
*shrug* I enjoyed the Barsoom movie. Nothing to get overly excited about, but not bad, either.

Ryujin

Legend
*shrug* I enjoyed the Barsoom movie. Nothing to get overly excited about, but not bad, either.

I think that movie suffered from the chicken and the egg syndrome. A lot of people complained that it gave them nothing new without realizing that a lot of SF borrowed heavily from, or 'paid homage to', that book series.

CapnZapp

Legend
It was the biggest box-office bomb in recent history. I choose to think that was at least partially because they chose one of the properties most associated to nude (but still tasteful) artwork, and completely neutered the potential.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It was the biggest box-office bomb in recent history. I choose to think that was at least partially because they chose one of the properties most associated to nude (but still tasteful) artwork, and completely neutered the potential.

Production Budget: $250 million
Worldwide Ticket Sales:$284 million

So, not an amazing success, but it was also not a total bomb and far from "biggest box-office bomb in recent history". 47 Ronin, Ben-Hur (2016), King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, The Finest Hours, Live by Night, Monster Trucks, Aloha, Blackhat, and Pan are all movies since 2015 that did substantially worse than John Carter overall.

Most people think the reason it didn't do better had to do with the name (which was a last minute change) and the marketing (which didn't have much relationship to what was actually in the movie) and the last minute loss of faith in the movie prior to release from the studio resulting in a much smaller marketing budget than had been planned.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Production Budget: $250 million
Worldwide Ticket Sales:$284 million

So, not an amazing success, but it was also not a total bomb and far from "biggest box-office bomb in recent history". 47 Ronin, Ben-Hur (2016), King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, The Finest Hours, Live by Night, Monster Trucks, Aloha, Blackhat, and Pan are all movies since 2015 that did substantially worse than John Carter overall.

Most people think the reason it didn't do better had to do with the name (which was a last minute change) and the marketing (which didn't have much relationship to what was actually in the movie) and the last minute loss of faith in the movie prior to release from the studio resulting in a much smaller marketing budget than had been planned.
The numbers are much worse than they appear, since usually a studio only gets 30-50% of the total (after theatres, etc.). I do believe Disney officially made use of the losses for tax purposes.

Remove ads