• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lords of Oblivion? [Possible Spoilers]

ltclnlbrain

First Post
This is a question for those of you who have received Dungeon #111 already. Can any of you give me a general idea of what happens in "Lords of Oblivion," the latest installment of the Shackled City Adventure Path? As a subscriber, I haven't received the issue yet, and I don't know anything about the adventure besides the title. I'm dying to know what happens in it. If anybody can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. :D

Last edited:

Simplicity

Explorer
Okay, spoilers below, so don't read this if you don't want to know what's going to happen...

In Lords of Oblivion, the players rescue a spy who works for the Striders from a Last Laugh hideout. In so doing, the players must face Jil as well as a Jester, on the the leaders of the Last Laugh.

The spy reveals that Thirifane (Vhalantru's wizard helper from Life's Bazaar) is having a big meeting of various baddies. During this meeting, Thirifane reveals the Cagewrights plans and explains a little about the Ritual of Planar Junction.

The players disrupt the meeting, and follow the lead to Vhalantru's lair (Oblivion). Vhalantru meanwhile has joined himself with a Demodand spirit, and has become even more powerful. The adventure ends with Vhalantru's destruction.

So this is obviously a big event in the Adventure Path series. My only question is: what were the Secrets of the Soul Pillars again? I never did
figure that out from the last adventure...

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Wow, thanks a lot Simplicity! Unfortunately, now this only heightens my anticipation until I receive the magazine.

Simplicity said:
So this is obviously a big event in the Adventure Path series. My only question is: what were the Secrets of the Soul Pillars again? I never did figure that out from the last adventure...

Basically from how I understood it, the Soul Pillars were what the Cagewrights used to figure out that they needed the Shackleborn to complete their ritual. The PCs are able to use the pillars to determine this, as well as basically any other secrets your campaign might have.

I think it's great that they are starting to bring back all the NPCs from earlier adventures like Jil and Thifirane. Vhalantru joined with a Demodand spirit, though...does that mean he is a half-fiend beholder?

I wonder where the path will go from here if Vhalantru is dead...I assume there are still more Cagewrights out there, and there's the whole Adimarchus/Smoking Eye thing to deal with as well.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Ah, somehow I'd always assumed that Orbius V. would be dealt with in the final episode, but I guess it makes sense; even an enhanced beholder isn't going to be tough enough to face down an 18-19th level party.

My SH's only just starting "Demonskar Legacy," so it'll be a while till I get to that point in any case.

Simplicity

Explorer
ltclnlbrain said:
Basically from how I understood it, the Soul Pillars were what the Cagewrights used to figure out that they needed the Shackleborn to complete their ritual. The PCs are able to use the pillars to determine this, as well as basically any other secrets your campaign might have.

Well, the origins of the Shackleborn are more fleshed out in Lords of Oblivion as well, so maybe I'll integrate some of this info into the pillars in my campaign. As is, the pillars seem to have way to little useful info to be worth the trouble.

ltclnlbrain said:
I think it's great that they are starting to bring back all the NPCs from earlier adventures like Jil and Thifirane. Vhalantru joined with a Demodand spirit, though...does that mean he is a half-fiend beholder?

Nope, not half-fiend. He's infused with the spirit of a demodand. It's a whole new template. A very gooey, poisonous template.

ltclnlbrain said:
I wonder where the path will go from here if Vhalantru is dead...I assume there are still more Cagewrights out there, and there's the whole Adimarchus/Smoking Eye thing to deal with as well

Well, the Jesters of the Last Laugh are now really annoyed at the PCs, after they kill one of the Jesters. Embril Aloustani is still out there, and she must be REALLY unhappy after the last adventure (her temple got ransacked). The Shackleborn have all been kidnapped by the Cagewrights, who have started the Rite of Planar Junction, the location of which is unknown. People in Cauldron are starting to go mad (some are running around claiming to be Adimarchus... hmmm...).

Simplicity

Explorer
Lazybones said:
Ah, somehow I'd always assumed that Orbius V. would be dealt with in the final episode, but I guess it makes sense; even an enhanced beholder isn't going to be tough enough to face down an 18-19th level party.

I was wondering that too... I guess now we know. :)

The only thing about this adventure that I don't really like is the art style. The style is just so vastly different from the previous adventures... It looks
goofy to me. I dunno maybe other people will like it though.

Remove ads