D&D 5E Lore & Legends Is An Official Visual Guide to D&D 5th Edition

The sequel to Art & Arcana, this 400+ page book features art and interviews

81Z6wfCB4xL.jpg

Coming in October from the authors of Dungeons and Dragons Art & Arcana: A Visual History is a new illustrated guide--this time to D&D 5th Edition, including artwork, interviews, and more. Lore & Legends is by Michael Witwer, Kyle Newman, Jon Peterson, and Sam Witwer, and is an officially licensed D&D book.

The 400+ page book is scheduled for release on October 3rd.

An illustrated guide to Dungeons & Dragons’ beloved fifth edition told through interviews, artwork, and visual ephemera from the designers, storytellers, and artists who bring it to life.

When the reimagined fifth edition of Dungeons & Dragons debuted in the summer of 2014, tabletop roleplaying games were on the brink of obsolescence. But within a few short years, D&D found greater success than it had ever enjoyed before, even surpassing its 1980s golden age. How did an analog game nearly a half century old become a star in a digital world? For the first time, Lore & Legends reveals the incredible ongoing story of Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition from the perspective of the designers, artists, and players who bring it to life. This comprehensive visual guide illuminates contemporary D&D—its development, evolution, cultural relevance, and popularity—through exclusive interviews and more than 900 pieces of artwork, photography, and advertising curated and analyzed by the authors of the bestselling and Hugo Award–nominated Dungeons & Dragons Art & Arcana.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We'll see. A&A definitely did the equivalent. It's unsparing on the business reasons behind 3.5 and 4E, for instance.
That it was, and it was not always flattering to WotC.
I wonder if he was the source of a lot of A&A's frankness.
He is a straight shooter, and a long termer, so he probably makes a good source.
Basically, I want the version of this written by retired, unfiltered Chris Perkins 20 years from now.

"Wait, wait, this this the best part! So then I walk into Fields' office and Jeremy is sitting there like a deer in headlights and I go, I go 'what? what is it now?' and O'Hara is like 'We're gonna hire the Pinkertons to destroy the OGL.' I'm like, 'We are?' You know? You - you guys think I'm kidding, but I'm not. Ah, it was a magical time!"
Oh, man, I feel that. This will not be that, bit I think we'll get some serious history work from these writers.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The good news is that D&D is now big enough and there are enough people writing about the history of it that we're pretty much guaranteed that someone will have "unauthorized" (which is a stupid adjective to stick on journalism, which as George Orwell will tell you, is unauthorized by definition, if it's really journalism) books on the current era and its various self-inflicted crises.

I liked Art & Arcana alot. But this is a retrospective look at an edition we're...still in?

I don't think the description said "retrospective". It did say "celebration". I still read books about the making of Star Wars and Star Trek projects though their "universes" are still being built. The description also says "… the incredible ongoing story of Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition from the perspective of the designers, artists, and players who bring it to life"

Yeah, it gives me pause as well, but Penguin Random House -- a company that understands monetization -- wants to have a shiny new book on book store displays when the 50th anniversary hype train gets going.

They could either update Art & Arcana, which would be a big ask, as this would balloon the price of that book even higher, or do it as a separate volume. My guess is these two books get merged into a "special edition" with a few extra pages of art in a few years.
It would be an 800+ page book. Oof, that might kill some customers. The Wolverine Adamantium Collection is 720 pages and is 16 pounds. I'm sure you superfans have larger books, but I think I prefer smaller tomes because I have only 6 strength. Maybe in digital format…

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It would be an 800+ page book. Oof, that might kill some customers. The Wolverine Adamantium Collection is 720 pages and is 16 pounds. I'm sure you superfans have larger books, but I think I prefer smaller tomes because I have only 6 strength. Maybe in digital format…
Good point. A slipcased "special edition" with both books is probably more likely.

And I got A&A in both physical and Kindle forms in the end, because some of that text, even in a massive book, is teeny tiny. I love the physical version for ogling the art, though.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Right, they did the book they would normally do now--and it was awesome--so the focus had to switch. OK.

The 30th anniversary book is not quite A&A, but is also pretty frank--yes, there was power creep for 2e, and in fact its almost inevitable as a way to sell supplements.

20th (or 25th?) had a great boxed set with reprints of several modules and some other goodies. For 40th, we got 5e. Anything else?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads