• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Los Angeles Gaming Store

garyh

First Post
Hi! Some of you may remember me from long ago (or, perhaps, wonder where a "new" person with 3K+ posts came from). Since my last EN World activity, I've moved to LA, gotten married, and honeymooned in Europe for a month.

It's that part about LA that leads me to ask for help here. I've been trying to find local gaming stores, and neither Google nor the phone book has been any help. I know of two SoCal options:

1) Games Workshop locations, which is good for Warhammer minis I can "borrow" for D&D, the closest of which is in Glendale, but has no actual D&D stuff, or other company minis (and I love them Reaper minis).

2) Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove (as I used to live in Orange County). This is quite a drive from where I am now.

So, any advice out there from my fellow Angelenos? There are 10 million people in LA County, there have to be some RPG stores somewhere! :)

Last edited:

lambdaZUG

First Post
The Last Grenadier is still in Burbank, though it keeps moving.

The most recent address is: 820 N Hollywood Way Burbank, CA 91505

I also vaguely remember a store called "Flights of Fantasy" in Santa Monica. It's been a while since I've been there, so it might not be there anymore.

If you need help finding other players, you might try the SOCAL_RPG yahoo group. Another good resource is the RPGA. The area here is Nyrond, and they have a mailing list too.

garyh

First Post
2WS-Steve said:
What part of L.A.?

If you're near Glendale there (at least used to be) The Last Grenadier in Burbank.

I'm in Silverlake, so a couple miles west Dodger Stadium. My in-laws live in Glendale, so I head that direction quite a bit. I'll have to check out tLG. Thanks!

Keep 'em coming, folks!

garyh

First Post
lambdaZUG said:
If you need help finding other players, you might try the SOCAL_RPG yahoo group. Another good resource is the RPGA. The area here is Nyrond, and they have a mailing list too.

Thanks, but I'm good on players. My wife and four buddies from Orange County make a good sized group. Unfortunately, they're all new to the hobby (I'm DMing), so they don't know anywhere to shop (other than getting the PHB at Borders :) ).

Last edited:

Pagan priest

First Post
Last Gren is good, that is where I do most of my shopping.

Over the hill, on Santa Monica blvd in Soviet Monica is Aerohobbies. Do not go in there if you are experiencing any penalties on your balance check... much of the product is on the floor. Don't expect too much in the way of help either, but there are a lot of older things there and things that I can't find elsewhere.

Continuing east from Glendale, on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena (or is that East Pas?) there is The Game Zone. Most things are stacked up lieing on their side, so good luck getting something from the bottom of the stack without knocking everything else over. The staff doesn't know much about what they sell, but most of the old minis are half price.

In the north end of the San Fernando Valley, on Devonshire in Chatsworth, there is All Ways Gaming. It is recently under new management, so they don't really know what they are doing yet and they don't know what they have, nor do they have anything printed in the last year (yet, they are working on it). They do try to be helpful.

DM_Matt

First Post
garyh said:
Thanks, but I'm good on players. My wife and four buddies from Orange County make a good sized group. Unfortunately, they're all new to the hobby (I'm DMing), so they don't know anywhere to shop (other than getting the PHB at Borders :) ).

Welcome back, GH, and welcome to LA! If you'd ever like to be a player, please feel free to give to our group in West LA a try.

We all shop at Aero Hobbies, so another vote for them, although most local Borders stores have nearly all recent WOTC releases and some majot d20s. The Last Grenadier, however, is generally regarded as quite the sketchy place.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
garyh said:
Hi! Some of you may remember me from long ago (or, perhaps, wonder where a "new" person with 3K+ posts came from). Since my last EN World activity, I've moved to LA, gotten married, and honeymooned in Europe for a month.

:) Welcome back and congrats! :)

garyh

First Post
Thanks for the help and the welcome back! Sorry for the late relpy... I have this thread set on Instant E-Mail notification, but never got any e-mail (maybe that feature's changed since I was last on here).

I'll be sure to check out some of the other stores you guys have mentioned. You know one thing the place I went in Sacramento (Great Escape) had that I wish I could find down here? A big ol' wall o' miniatures! GE had a 15 foot wall covered in minis (this is in addition to their Warhammer room), featuring darn near every Reaper mini made, plus other stuff, too. And I love me some Reaper minis. :) Worse comes to worse, Amazon works fine for books, but the best way to find minis, given the sheer number and variety of them, is to look at 'em, I find.

Gizzard

First Post
A big ol' wall o' miniatures!

Brookhurst had the best selection of miniatures last time I was down there. They had Confrontation back when that stuff was hard to get for instance; they had all kinds of second tier manufactuers with quirky sculpts too.

Diamond Bar is probably just as bad for you driving-wise, but there is a shop called All-Star Games there that has just everything in the world RPG-wise. I saw a couple of copies of Everway last time I was there!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads