• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost 1/19/05

Steverooo

First Post
The Monster

And here's another hare-brained theory: If Walt's "power" is over animals (living things), then maybe Alex's (who I'm still not convinced is anything but a hallucination of Jack's) is over inanimate objects... Maybe the invisible monster really is a toy train...

Walt's power probably isn't limited to just animals, though. He seemed perfectly able to control Lock's knife, when he tried! ;)

Richards

Legend
Originally posted by Steverooo:
And what (if anything) was Walt reading, on the plane?
It would be ironic if the whole plane crash happened because Walt was reading the "what to do in an emergency" handout in the seat pocket in front of him. :)

Johnathan

Staffan

Legend
fett527 said:
I commented last week that I find it highly out of sorts that they wouldn't try harder to pursue Rosseau and the power source. They even have more firearms available. (Of course Jack is proably trying to keep those a secret). This is one of the few problems I have with the way the show is progressing though.
Remember that each episode is only something like two days long. They're probably going to get around to her eventually.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Steverooo said:
In any case, we now have at least six guns (the one Sayer got from the Marshal, the four Jack got from his suitcase, and - maybe! - the rifle Rouseau had).

I assumed the guns in the Marshall's briefcase were Kate's, not his. Why would he need that many guns? Would the clips match at all, possibly?

The interesting question is, who would be getting possession of the guns? Looking at promo pictures for upcoming weeks (which are often misleading)
you can see at least Kate, Sawyer, and Jack with guns. Locke sticks with his knife. Who got the fourth gun?

Steverooo

First Post
The Lone Gunmen

You give the guns to whoever can use them, I assume... Hurley's no good, with blood! :p Sawyer has already proved that he can use one, and stand down a charging bear (besides, he still has the one he copped off the dying marshall, although I guess Sayid still has the ammo). Both Jack and Kate can do what's needed. Sayid is a trained soldier, so of course he'll take one. The fourth? I'm guessing Boone, or one of the girls will step up (probably Claire, although, if she goes, you know Charlie will, too, and he might take the last one).

I agree that Locke will not take one. He'll stick with his knives, sure, but also use the axe to set traps. Look for deadfalls, pits, and most of all, snares...

Steverooo

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
I assumed the guns in the Marshall's briefcase were Kate's, not his. Why would he need that many guns?

Because he's an assassin?...

For what it's worth, Kate said the guns belonged to the Marshall. She could have lied, but the evidence supports her. They were not inside the "Personal Effects" envelope, as they should have been, if they were hers. Also, before she knew about the case, when she took the gun away from Sawyer, she said that she doesn't like guns (and had no motive for lying, then).

So I choose to believe Kate. "The Marshall" had way too many guns (and bullets). He took her prisoner, but I think we will later find that he was sent to kill (or at least coerce) her, and was no Marshall at all... That was just the ruse he used in order to gain custody of her.

So why was he bringing her back to the US? He could have taken her somewhere in the Outback, and killed her, there... So, obviously, she has something SOMEBODY wants...

Kate manipulates, Kate lies, but she never seems to enjoy it. Kate always does what she has to do, and moves on. I get the idea that she is really an OK sort, who was pushed too far, did what she had to, and someone died because of it. Because she can't forgive herself, she can't settle down and become part of anything. There are too many ghosts behind her... and someone sent the "Marshall" to get something from her. Someone very powerful, desperate, or both!

That's my take on it, anyway.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
fett527 said:
I commented last week that I find it highly out of sorts that they wouldn't try harder to pursue Rosseau and the power source.

I'm not sure it's a power source, despite the comment Sayid makes about the batteries. I think that a small transmitter could easily be solar powered and we've had that technology for a lot longer than 16 years. After all, something on the other end would have to be supplying power to it - I don't think underwater cables are generally that thin, and what would be out in the ocean supplying power non-stop for 16 years? I don't know of anything that does that. Even the nuclear pile from a submarine would need maintenance in that time, wouldn't it? Unless there are other people who know there are people on the island - that's one of my theories for right now, that the island is some kind of black-project testing ground for something.

[The other is that Walt just created it to have something to land on :) The quasi-mystic elements we've seen in some of the recent episodes, though, throws the door wide open. The idea that the island somehow gives you what you need (rather than what you want) is an interesting one as well.]

I think the cable is a trap she created. One of the first things new people to the island are going to do once they've given up hope of rescue is walk the perimeter to see how big the thing is (and, probably, to make sure they're really on an island). They come up on this thing. Aha! They think. Civilization! They follow it, as Sayid did, right into the obvious/inobvious double trap and get caught.

fett527

First Post
Steverooo said:
..Walt's power probably isn't limited to just animals, though. He seemed perfectly able to control Lock's knife, when he tried! ;)

Also remember Walt playing backgammon with Hurley. He couldn't lose.

mcbmagic

First Post
Hey,

Can anyone tell me what happened at the end of the episode. Lost seems to run a little past the hour and I've been losing the last minute when the machine switches over to tape West Wing. I saw up to the point where Charlie was reading the diary and abviously found something in it, and then the scene was cut. Thanks to anyone who can let me know what happened.

dravot

First Post
mcbmagic said:
Hey,

Can anyone tell me what happened at the end of the episode. Lost seems to run a little past the hour and I've been losing the last minute when the machine switches over to tape West Wing. I saw up to the point where Charlie was reading the diary and abviously found something in it, and then the scene was cut. Thanks to anyone who can let me know what happened.
Claire's diary mentioned dreams about the black rock, which was in the French woman's notes.

Locke and Boone go out looking for Walt's dog with the dog whistle, but instead find... Claire! :eek:

Who knew that dog whistles could work on pregnant women?

(Actually, it was hard to tell, but consensus is that she had the baby already)

Remove ads