• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost 1/19/05

WizarDru

Adventurer
arnwyn said:
I thought Locke provided that. (Shannon, shortly after being rescued (paraphrasing): "What the heck did you say to Locke, to make him...?!")

That would the hallucination, not Locke.

arnywyn said:
A decent episode. Like fett, I was hoping to see more about the hatch. Further, I'm surprised that Jack and Sayid are still burbling about "finding out more about the possible power source" (when looking at the maps). There's a bloody cord coming out of the ocean, leading right to Rosseau's place! Which had power! *sheesh*

Yeah, but there's also a crazy woman with a rifle guarding it. More importantly, the cable itself isn't nearly as useful as finding where it terminates. Finding the power station and the installation it feeds is much more useful to survival than trying to jerry-rig something from the cable...assuming they have the right tools to rip it open AND they don't kill themselves in the process of doing it. That all assumes that one of them has the ability to even do the electrical work necessary...and right now the only two likely candidates are Michael (who MAY have some experience from construction work...or may not) who wasn't interested and Sayid (who MAY have some experience from his communications training...or may not), who seems very reluctant to confront Rosseau again. So it doesn't strike me as that suprising at all.

Arnwyn

First Post
WizarDru said:
That would the hallucination, not Locke.
Oh, yeah. Duh me.
More importantly, the cable itself isn't nearly as useful as finding where it terminates.
And that's exactly what I'm talking about. This stupid cable is right there (and the crazy woman isn't right beside it - Sayid still seemed to have to hike a bit) and is, IMO, clearly the best clue and starting point to finding any related power source.
So it doesn't strike me as that suprising at all.
It sure does to me.

fett527

First Post
I commented last week that I find it highly out of sorts that they wouldn't try harder to pursue Rosseau and the power source. They even have more firearms available. (Of course Jack is proably trying to keep those a secret). This is one of the few problems I have with the way the show is progressing though.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Everyone is fixated on the Polar Bear in the comic. Each time a bear shows up it was first foreshadowed by showing it in the comic. What has not been mentioned though is in this episode right before the bear was shown in the comic the camera focused for several seconds on the preceding page with the monster on it (It looked like a cross between an Aliens creature and a human). I can?t help but think that this was shown for a reason.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I think it is of note that so many so far has found a 'treasure', Micheal and his letters, Charlie and his guitar, Kate and her plane, Locke and his knives or is it his legs, Jack and his coffin, Huley and the goft clubs, Walt and his dog. While not everyone is is enough to make you go mmmmm!

Zuoken

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
Everyone is fixated on the Polar Bear in the comic. Each time a bear shows up it was first foreshadowed by showing it in the comic. What has not been mentioned though is in this episode right before the bear was shown in the comic the camera focused for several seconds on the preceding page with the monster on it (It looked like a cross between an Aliens creature and a human). I can?t help but think that this was shown for a reason.

Don't forget that on yet another page of the comic book they showed what looked like a self-enclosed domed space station, drifting in the middle of space. To me at least, it seems like a clue that the island is actually closed off from the rest of the world, in it's own bubble of reality.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Zuoken said:
Don't forget that on yet another page of the comic book they showed what looked like a self-enclosed domed space station, drifting in the middle of space. To me at least, it seems like a clue that the island is actually closed off from the rest of the world, in it's own bubble of reality.

Not to mention that the comic has the Flash and Green Lantern in it. Remember what Hurley said once about being sort of a warrior back in the real world? Could he be a retired Green Lantern? ;)

The_lurkeR

First Post
Banshee16 said:
What did the psychic warn Claire? That's one episode I never saw.

Banshee

The psychic at first was very disturbed when talking with Claire and refuses to talk about.

Later she goes back to him and convinces him to proceed and tell her about the baby and her future. He again is upset by what he sees and tells her that she alone must raise her baby, that her goodness is essential in it's future. Beyond that he is vague.

She is planning on giving the baby up for adoption, and the psychic is extremely persistant over a long period of time in trying to convince her that she must not do that, and must raise the baby herself.

At the end she backs out of her adoption meeting after several pens malfunction and she can't sign the paperwork.

Then the psychic appears to trick her to take the flight that he books for her, telling her he found someone in California that will be ok to raise the baby for her. It is implied that there really is no one in California, but rather that he picked the flight because he knew what was going to happen. He foresaw the crash, or maybe something more...? :confused:

Steverooo

First Post
Here's an Idea: Walt

Locke has Walt throwing knives. Walt misses, and says "Aw! I suck!" Locke tells Walt to visualize, and try again. Walt does, and succeeds...

Walt is looking at a book on birds. One of them appears, headed straight for him, and smashes into a window.

The plane crashes. Walt finds a comic book. He looks in it, and sees a polar bear. Elsewhere, one appears (apparently headed the other way) and is shot by Sawyer.

In the last episode, Walt is again reading the comic book (en Espanol), sees the bear, again, wanders off into the jungle, and encounters one...

It seems that Walt needs pictures, to make his "power" work. Right now, it is usually pictures in a book. Locke is training him to make pictures in his mind...

Questions: Is his "power" limited to animals? (That's all we've seen, so far!) And what (if anything) was Walt reading, on the plane? (We still don't know why it went down, or landed safely, in pieces!)

And if the island is giving them what they need most, then Rose will be seeing Bernard, again!

As for Locke and Boone, I don't see Locke as sinister, as some do, nor Boone as his lackey... I see Locke as (Duh!) "The General", training his "soldiers" to fight "the others". These others may be "the Others" Rouseau talked about (probably, since they're repeating that episode right before we learn about them from Claire), or they may be something else. In any case, we now have at least six guns (the one Sayer got from the Marshal, the four Jack got from his suitcase, and - maybe! - the rifle Rouseau had).

Handsome is as handsome does, and Locke's actions have always been to try to free people from whatever binds them. Charlie from drug addiction, Jack from the bad advice of his dad, Boone from the clutches of his manipulative sister. Possibly Michael from his anger and pain, as well...

And the others? If Locke's "soldiers" are free, what binds the others? We don't know, we haven't seen that, yet, but probably... the same things! There's probably some facet of each of the survivors in one or more of the others. Since the survivors have already overcome their own bindings, they will probably find that they can also overcome those still bound by those old chains...

Steverooo

First Post
Psychic Warrior said:
Has anyone else noticed that the survivors always seem to find what they need most on the island? It always seems that when someone is really looking for something (conciously or not) they find it.

Nope! Remember when the Marshal had the big piece of metal embedded in him? Jack has Hurley (IIRC) looking through all the luggage for "...anything ending in '-mycin'", and he finds nothing. No antibiotics. Likewise, I could make a case for Charlie and his drugs, when Locke had them.

Here's another thing to think about... What books are on the island? Besides the comic book, Sawyer had one, which I believe Kate or Claire said she had read... Can anyone remember what it was? Watership Down? Sawyer took Claire's diary, and mentioned that "good reading material is limited on the island", or somesuch. Did Rose have a bible, when she was sitting on the beach?

There was an old Sci-Fi story, "Perpetual Reader", about an intelligent planet. It "communicated" with the crew of a spaceship landed there through recreating the books that one of the crew members had brought along...

Remove ads