• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost City of Gaxmoor

THE LOST CITY OF GAXMOOR
by Ernie and Luke Gygax

The sun sinks slowly into the west over the desolation of the once-grand ancient Empire. As it does so it outlines the ancient ruins of what was once a thriving metropolis. It is a great city long since fallen to the ravages of time and beast. This was once a shining doorway to the East, allowing rest and restocking of provisions before the long trek into the wild lands of the barbaric frontier of the Western Empire. This ruin is the Lost City of Gaxmoor.

Gaxmoor is a complete adventure setting for character level 1-6. Playable in the TLG World of Erde campaign setting or easily placed in any existing campaign, Gaxmoor will fill many nights of gaming with high adventure and mounds of fun.

Upon the broken slopes of the Nordell Mountains, in the heart of Erde the suns fading brilliance outlines the ancient ruins of what was once a thriving metropolis. Now, long since fallen to the ravages of time and beast.

Simon Collins

Explorer
Beware! This review contains major spoilers.
This is not a playtest review.

The Lost City of Gaxmoor is a 136-page city adventure by Ernie & Luke Gygax, sons of Gary. It is set in the world of Erde, Troll Lord Games' campaign setting, but is transferrable to most fantasy campaign settings. The adventure is designed to take PCs from level 1 to 10.

In terms of value for money, $20.95 is fairly average for its size, with average text density, margins and space usage. The internal art is generally good, as are the maps (though they use a 1 square = 10 foot scale). The style of writing is pretty basic, more the fault of clunky grammar and poor editing than anything else.

The basic set-up is that the city of Gaxmoor was threatened many centuries ago, so the patron god of the city translocated it to a pocket plane where time ran slow, to protect it. Evil servants of a demonic entity discovered the key to bring the city back to the Material Plane. They did so, immediately invading it with their prepared armies of evil humanoids. The humanoid armies have now split up into factions within the city, fighting amongst themselves for control. Meanwhile, some of the more powerful leaders search for a powerful magical staff that is rumoured to be hidden somewhere in the depths of the city.

Four adventure hooks are given for the PCs to investigate the reappearance of the ancient city, including discovering a band of humanoids with Gaxmoor coinage - 1000 year old coins that look brand new.

There are also some amendments to standard rules recommended for the adventure, such as replacing the 'death at -10 hit points' rule with a 'death at a number of hit points equal to Con + Character Level' and doubling costs for creating magical items. There are also a couple of new feats - Weapon Mastery (+1 to attack and damage rolls) and Rapid Attacks (extra melee attack when using Full Attack action).

The adventure begins with the PCs journey to Gaxmoor, with five encounter areas described. After an overview of the main factions within the city, the adventure continues with a location-by-location description of first the Outer City (those locations outside the city walls) including the graveyard and tannery, then locations in the Inner City, and the Palace of the Citadel, the climactic location, including the labyrinths beneath, with finally a listing with brief detail of the various statues and pools within Gaxmoor.

Eight new monsters are detailed from the adventure in the appendices, as well as 13 new spells, and 12 new magic items (including the aforementioned staff, which is an artifact). The remaining pages give a range of indoor maps for various locations described in the text and there is a two-tone rip-out map of the city and its environs well attached into the back of the book.

Conclusion:
There are a number of major issues I had with the adventure. Probably the biggest one of these was the challenges and treasure of the adventure, both of which were too high for 1st-level characters (the first three encounters are EL 5, 4 and 6 respectively; in these encounters the PCs can pick up two +1 arrows, antitoxin, a +1 Mace, spyglass, flask of alchemists fire, helm of comprehend languages and read magic, spell book, 18 masterwork crossbow bolts, and possibly a pelt worth up to 2400 gp, amongst many other items). This theme continues, with a vast array of evil monsters and characters in most buildings, magic nearly everywhere you look (including highly powerful magic items), and enemies up to CR 21 later in the adventure. I also found a number of mistakes and missing information in the stat blocks and text. There were no ELs listed and no information for scaling the adventure for parties of different levels or numbers.

However, if you can amend things, either to introduce higher level PCs to the adventure (I'd recommend starting level about 5th, moving up to 15th) or amending all the encounters in terms of creatures and treasure, there are many positive qualities to the adventure - apart from the first few encounters, the adventure is non-linear and gives good background information for the motivations (political or otherwise) of the main factions vying for control of the city. The feel is very much 1st Edition, quite combat-orientated and rich in reward, but also manages to keep the situation logical within its unusual precepts. Creatures and characters within buildings have a reason for being there, and there is tension due to the various factions being located near to each other. The city is well-detailed with plenty of information on the many locations described. The adventure bulds up to a significant and exciting climax and there are plenty of new creatures and items that could be used outside the adventure. In addition, the adventure itself is fairly generic so could be translocated to another campaign setting.

All in all, this adventure is spoiled by the mistakes in ELs, treasure and stats. I am not a great fan of very combat-orientated adventures and my rating includes this bias. However, it may appeal to those who enjoy plenty of combat and treasure, as long as they make some compromises in terms of the level of PCs they introduce to this adventure.

simon

First Post
The Lost City of Gaxmoor: nice '1e' atmosphere, its millenia-lost Roman-style city fits well in my campaign, & it has a nice glossy city map. But the editing is appalling, the floorplans have no keys AT ALL - it requires a lot of work for the GM. More of a campaign pack than a scenario, really. Good once you work out how to approach it - I settled on PCs as commando team running hit & run missions into the ruins. As a standard 'dungeon crawl' it doesn't logically work - the angry hordes will squelch any party that tries to camp out in the city for any length of time.

EDIT: Here's my complete, rewritten Gaxmoor review...

After a thousand years, Gaxmoor, shining jewel of the ancient empire, has returned to the world. But the city, once a beacon of civilisation, now swarms with evil forces led by an unholy half-demon who seeks the ancient artifact that is the source of the city’s vanishing a millenium ago…

‘The Lost City of Gaxmoor’ by Ernie Gygax, Luke Gygaxis and David Moore a scenario/campaign pack, it has 134 pp of text and maps, perfect-bound, plus a pull-out glossy map of the city that’s nicely drawn and definitely one of the highlights.

The sections are as follows:

Cover: The slightly amateurish, wraparound cover of adventurers hacking through humanoid hordes, aided by some faceless helmeted soldiery (probably Gaxmoorite city guards, I’d guess) gives a good idea of what’s inside, and the authors’ cheerful determination to ignore all 3e DMG advice about suitable encounter sizes - and in fact, pretty much every other bit of advice in the DMG. Despite this, I found Gaxmoor’s 1e feel and relentless chirpiness to be a lot of fun.

Dungeon Master’s Intro - lots of good ideas for tying in the time-shifted city, relic of a lost Roman-style empire, to your home campaign.

Player’s Introduction - nice atmospheric read-aloud text to start the scenario. I use it on my campaign web page to set the feel.

Encounters Before Reaching the City: These EL5+ encounters immediately give the lie to the book’s claim that it’s suitable for 1st level PCs! Apparently according to Luke Gygax it was playtested with a party of 8, including his dad, some guy called Gary. The adventure seems to assume PC deaths at almost every encounter. If you don’t want this 1e-style ‘feature’, I suggest starting with PCs around 5th level, maybe a strong 4th. They will need to be around 15th to complete the scenario as written, not the 10th suggested - given that some of the encounters are ca EL 22, 10th isn’t even on the XP chart!

Outdoor Encounter Matrix: One of several handy wandering monster tables, plus 3 useful NPCs with which to help or hinder your PC group - I’ve used 2 (the cleric Hugh Burke and Nirjan) so far, and the players have found them quite memorable. The editing problems rampant in the scenario start here - eg Hugh Burke is apparently both 5th level and 4th level, a human and a gnome…

Persons & Groups of Note Within the City - a vital reference, this brief section covers the politics and motivations of the many disparate factions competing for power within Gaxmoor. Far from a monolithic evil, the city is seething with humanoid hordes, most of whose leaders are jockeying for power while their armies disintegrate under the influence of vast quantities of cheap beer! Added to this are the surviving enclaves of surviving human and other native citizenry and the evil forces from the undercity, and you have a rich brew of turmoil to keep players entertained and DMs hard at work bringing the city’s many groups to life. With most of the factions mutually opposed.the players have largely a free hand in who they help, who they fight - and a little diplomacy could work wonders.

Note: All the above are available in a free .pdf download from Troll Lord Games (www.trollord.com I think), a great ‘try before you buy’ feature.

Gaxmoor: Environs of the Lost City
The heart of the adventure, pp 15-101, this section attempts to detail the entire city as much as space constraints allow. It’s generally well done, despite poor editing and read-aloud text that has a condescending Hackmasterish tone that’s sometimes amusing but occasionally annoying. There are many detailed NPCs and quite a few interesting encounters, as well as many of the ‘240 goblins live here’ variety. The main problem is that there are almost no keyed-in floorplans here, they’re all banished to an appendix at the end. The evil occupying Gaxmoor grows steadily more powerful as you approach the Citadel at the heart of the city, giving smart PCs the chance to grow in power as they battle on the outer fringes. My PC group headed straight for the citadel - and met the CR 20 big bad guy at its heart. He will kill at least one character per combat round - use with caution!

Finding the Staff of Urnus Gregaria: A small extra-dimensional dungeon around the artifact that is Gaxmoor’s heart. Contains the only keyed floorplan in the scenario! The open-endedness of the scenario is apparent here - the PCs are free to do whatever they want with the staff, whether using it to return Gaxmoor to the mini-dimension from which it recently came, or (more likely?) take it for themselves. Dedicated to Gaxmoor’s god of travel, he’s not a million miles from Fharlanghan of Greyhawk & PHB fame, making adaptation easy.

Statues and Pools Within the City Walls: Whimsy strikes with a vengeance here, as the designers allowed their dad to detail Gaxmoor’s magically-mutated statuary (courtesy of ‘Zagig’, natch). Personally I enjoyed EGG’s work here, and it’s entirely optional - if you don’t want statues of voluptuous noblewomen that turn into hideous monsters when embraced, you can ignore this bit. You can still use the descriptions, and they give a nice feel for Gaxmoor’s pompous, prideful Romanesque culture.

History of Gaxmoor on Erde: An explanation on how the lost city fits into Troll Lord’s house campaign world. An interesting read, of limited use if you don’t use Erde.

New Monsters: Several new creatures to be found within Gaxmoor. Nothing remarkable here, they’re perfectly usable outside the scenario. It’s worth noting that Gaxmoor uses a lot of Creature Collection 1 critters and it’s advisable to have this hardback available to get the most out of several encounters.

New Spells: A variety of new spells, mildly interesting they don’t seem particularly balanced - many are rather weak - I’d use with caution.

Magic Items: This section summarises the variant magic items to be found in the scenario, mostly repeated from the main section.

The OGL: ‘nuff said.

House & Villa floorplans: The last and arguably weakest section, this gives plans both for generic buildings (Gaxmoor is a big place) and for important locations like the Royal Palace. The problem here is that there are no map keys at all, the DM is left in the dark about what goes where! Considerable preparation is therefore needed if you’re going to run the city to its full potential. You will probably need to improvise your own interior layouts for the buildings as the PCs explore, the ones given seem to have been taken straight from ‘Daily Life in the Roman Empire’ or somesuch, and don’t really provide much help at all.

Conclusions: I’ve enjoyed using Gaxmoor as the centre for my own ‘Borderlands’ campaign, it has both a unique, memorable pseudo-Romanesque flavour (the authors have no idea how Roman naming conventions work, but are always cheerfully ready to give it a try!), and the potential to be easily inserted into most campaign worlds. Since it only reappeared a few months ago, any world with a fallen Roman-style empire can use it with very little modification at all. It has big problems - the poor editing, the lack of integrated maps, the relentless disregarding of standard 3e norms - the treasure, for instance, is generally distinctly under DMG stipulated norms, which fits my low magic campaign fine, but a more generous DM might wish to add additional treasure such as magic in the hands of the humanoid leaders. While the authors are clearly novices at writing, it’s not suitable for novice DMs - it’s a far cry from story-path hand-holding and needs an experienced DM to do the work required to get the most from it. That said, it has a great brashness and freshness about it, a relentless enthusiasm that I found quite infectious.
As a dungeon crawl, it doesn’t work well- PCs who try to camp out in the inner city are unlikely to last long, unless you play the monsters as even lazier than they’re presented. Treat it as a campaign sourcepack around which you and the players can create your own scenarios - seek the Governor beneath the Palace, searc for the Staff of Urnus Gregaria, try to assassinate the bugbear warlord Panchmo or conspire with Grond the orc chieftain - and it can be a lot of fun. In all conscience, and given the work required, I can’t rate it higher than 3*, but I don’t regret buying it and a DM willing to put in some work will find dozens of hours of enjoyable playing time, and a chance for players to make their own decisions and succeed or fail not just by their firepower, but by the choices they make and the enemies (and allies) they create.

Might be a bit small but it contains real information on the product. I have seen longer reviews that merely contained lots of fluff filler to make them look large enough to be a decent review. In the end those reviews had as much or less real information on the product than this review does.

2WS-Steve

First Post
I agree with DocM here. The review's short but does contain some actual info and he supports his opinion. I liked his comment on the Monster Manual that it should have included Encounter Tables; even without them though I'd give the MM better than a 3 ;)

I hope Simon expands a bit on these reviews and continues to write more of them.

Krug

Newshound
I don't agree as it'll encourage short, incomplete reviews. There's still a lot of info I want to know about the product, and it doesn't give me an idea of the contents like Psion's reviews.

The thing is why doesn't Simon Collins just use his ID to post these reviews?

simon

First Post
Um, my name is Simon Newman, S'mon on the boards! Please don't think I'm Simon Collins; he writes great, lengthy & comprehensive 'professional' type reviews, I'm just giving my opinions restated from Forum posts and expanded upon a bit.

To restate:
If I was going to be the first to review a product, I'd be sure to do a 'proper' review. The staff reviewer has already done a fine job on that score, I see no need to repeat their good work.

Remove ads