(LOTR) A poll from the LOTR site that failed there, but might be of interest here

Fade

First Post
Sauron: He would definetly win. Probably bend it to his will.

Saruman: I'd say he'd probably lose. He was more powerful than Gandalf, but doesn't have his focus and strength of will, which was what allowed him to best the Balrog. Also his force is dissipated, in (SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER) TtT Gandalf overcomes his almost casually.

Galadriel: Iffy. If she was on her own territory I'd back her, otherwise my money is probably on the Balrog (she's probably more powerful, but it is far more destructive).

Elrond, Celeborn, Aragorn, Legolas: Smoosh

King of the Dead: Cannot defeat it, but it may have trouble doing permanent damage to him.

Treebeard: Whoosh! Aargh aargh aargh. (smoking pile of lumber)

Black Omega

First Post
tsadkiel said:
I think everyone's avoiding the real question - could Superman defeat the Balrog?
Given that Superman is very vulnerable to magic, including magic weapons and abilities, I'd have to say the Balrog would win.;)

Two thoughts come to mind.

1. Green wood burns very badly if at all. Treebeard is a living living. So no instant woosh.

2. Don't hold too much against Shelob. She was overconfident and got in a fight with Samwise while he was wielding a spider slaying dagger. Sting practically acted like it was made for killing her.

Wolfspider

Explorer
SPOILERS

The opinion that Gandalf didn't beat him seems to possibly come from only seeing the movie, or only reading the first book in the Trilogy. It later becomes clear that Gandalf destroyed the Balrog.

Ack! I hadn't even thought of that! *slams head into desk* I'm sorry if I spoiled it for anyone who hasn't read the whole trilogy.

END SPOILER

I agree about Shelob. I wouldn't discount her, especially if she knew what to expect and could prepare an ambush. She lost to Sam because she had become overconfident hunting goblins and didn't think the hobbit actually had a weapon that could touch her. Ultimately, she is the daughter of a being who was able to make the most power Valar quake in fear.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Black Omega said:

Given that Superman is very vulnerable to magic, including magic weapons and abilities, I'd have to say the Balrog would win.;)

Ah, but Supes is faster and stronger - at best for the Balrog it would be a stalemate; most likely Supes would win. Also, Superman is as vulnerable to magic as a normal human - he still gets his saves!

Last edited:

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Pfah! The rare "Gimli" with two "Axe Strike" events, followed by two exertions while carrying "Gimli's Battle Axe" and a "Lord of Moria" in your support Area would kill him, in one blow! So waht that the "Balrog" card is "Fierce".

What, no one else here plays LotR TCG? :D

Rav

Well, Galadriel would engage Balrog in magical battle and would have a pretty good chance to win, remember how her brother Finrod Felagund dueled Sauron?

"He chanted a song of wizardry,
Of piercing, opening, of treachery,
Revealing, uncovering, betraying.
Then sudden Felagund there swaying,
Sang in a song of staying,
Resisting, battling against power,
Of secrets kept, strength like a tower,
And trust unbroken, freedom, escape;
Of changing and shifting shape,
Of snares eluded, broken traps,
The prison opening, the chain that snaps.
Backwards and forwards swayed their song.
Reeling foundering, as ever more strong
The chanting swelled, Felagund fought,
And all the magic and might he brought
Of Elvenesse into his words.
Softly in the gloom they heard the birds
Singing afar in Nargothrond,
The sighting of the Sea beyond,
Beyond the western world, on sand,
On sand of pearls on Elvenland.
Then in the doom gathered; darkness growing
In Valinor, the red blood flowing
Beside the Sea, where the Noldor slew
The Foamriders, and stealing drew
Their white ships with their white sails
From lamplit havens. The wind wails,
The wolf howls. The ravens flee.
The ice mutters in the mouths of the Sea.
The captives sad in Angband mourn.
Thunder rumbles, the fires burn-
And Finrod fell before the throne"

Given the fact that Galadriel lived much longer than Finrod, was tutored by Meliana, her reputation, presence, and Balrog being weaker than Sauron I think that they either would both die or Galadriel would barely win.

What do you think of Ringwraiths versus Balrog, remember that Witch-King had the power to oppose Gandalf The White( or so he thought).

Wolfspider

Explorer
The Nazgul as a group would be able to challenge the Balrog, since they were all mighty warriors and sorcerers as well as being powerful undead. The Witch King alone would probably not be able to destroy it, however, although I'm certain that he would hurt it badly.

Remove ads