[LOTR] Aragorns Sword

Numion

First Post
In the book, didn't Aragorn get his reforged sword ("Narsil") in Rivendell, so that he had it when the fellowship departed on the journey?

My question is then this: Does Aragorn use his old sword in the movie? The pommel of the sword is shown clearly in the scene on the glacier where Frodo drops the ring, and in the end when they decide to chase the orcs to rescue Merry & Pippin. It's a very different pommel than that of Narsil, which is again shown when Boromir looks at it in Rivendell.

So:

1) When does Aragorn get Narsil reforged in the book?

2) When does Aragorn get Narsil reforged in the movie?

3) Why Ar uses his old sword in the movie?

Thanks in advance... I'm just curious, as I've seen the movie too many times (screening copy on computer ;)).

Noldor Elf

First Post
1) In the book Narsil is reforged before fellowship left from Rivendell.

2)In the movie Narsil is probably still in pieces. But that's just my opinion, I spot that pommel too.

3)Because Narsil is not reforged (althought in the book Aragorn used Narsil all the time, even before it was reforged)

HeavyG

First Post
Kid Charlemagne said:
Peter Jackson has said that "The Two Towers" begins with Narsil being reforged in Rivendell...

If Numion is right about Aragorn having taken the sword with him on the quest, it would be really weird.

Unless it's the teleporting sword or something...

[edit]
Or shown as a flashback.
[/edit]

Last edited:

Dieter

First Post
Having just seen the movie again on Saturday, I can tell you that Narsil is still in pieces when Aragorn leaves Rivendell.

Boromir spots its broken pieces and laments over not being able to be the great leader that his ancestors were, he then lobs the hilt of Narsil on the pedestal and it falls on the ground. Aragorn then comes over to the hilt, picks it up, and humbly places it back on the pedestal.

Maybe the reforging scene got left on the cutting room floor?

I guess we'll have to wait for the DVD to hear PJ's commentaries. :)

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Rashak Mani said:
Wierd... since they already left Rivendell... maybe Jackson is saving some stuff up for the 2nd Book ?

The sword Aragorn has at the end of FoTR is NOT Narsil. As PC mentions, the likeliest place for him to get it is from Arwen (probably accompanying the Rangers) after Helm's Deep.

Last edited:

Christian

Explorer
For those who haven't memorized The Lord of the Rings: in the books, Arwen makes a standard for Aragorn to display when he returns to Gondor and claims the royal throne. Her brothers carry this to Aragorn in Rohan, when they ride to join the brewing war against Sauron. In the movie, Arwen will likely make this journey herself, and bring Aragorn both the standard and the reforged sword.

Remove ads