• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotBS Lots of questions about running WOTBS 4e...

UHF

First Post
I want to start running WOTBS 4e soon, but I have a few questions...

First, digital character creation. Character Generator doesn't support any WOTBS setting mods (backgrounds, feats, equipment, paragon paths). Has anyone found a way to do get character generator to do this? i.e. 4e Power Tools, or something? I really want to include as much of it as possible.

Has anyone used Hero Lab 4e to put custom WOTBS material into their game? If so, how well does it work?
4th Edition - Hero Lab - Lone Wolf Development

Second, has anything been errata'd for WOTBS? It seems that many of the FEATs described in the Player's Guide are a bit overpowered.

Initiate of the East Wind dealing an extra D6 damage for all melee attacks, and effectively available to all classes. I mean... I could see an entire party of Initiates at this rate. (It would speed up fights though... Level 1 rogue.. 3D6 backstab.)

Counter Spell, seems to make a spell caster quite immune to a single spell per encounter by 10th level, and utterly immune by 20th. (Was that the intent? Has anyone had any problems with this.)

I have been running a 4e version of the game, and due to the DDI influence, haven't used any of the setting specific material. That hasn't impacted on the entertainment value of the game.

The version of counterspell I have been using for the Inquisitors has been very nice, forcing re-rolls. Regretfully the last encounter I forced a reroll and ended up with a critical hit!

:(

mgehl

First Post
If you wanted to see what entering custom material into HL was like, please give HL a try in demo mode (the download is available from the link you posted). The integrated editor is fully functional in demo mode (to get to the editor, go to the first option in the Tools menu within HL) (the only things restricted in demo mode are printing and saving characters, and print preview is available so you can see what the printed sheet will look like)

I'm happy to help with any questions you have or problems you run into.

Mathias Gehl

OnlineDM

Adventurer
My players had access to the backgrounds, etc. but didn't use them (they all like Character Builder too much).

I don't think there's been any errata, but for what it's worth I highly recommend customizing the adventures to your heart's content. We're partway into the second adventure at the moment, and the most fun we've had has always come when I've been comfortable straying from the written material. You can check out my other threads in case you're looking for any inspiration.

UHF

First Post
One of the biggest barriers to using a custom setting like War Of The Burning Sky is getting (a little) help making characters, and of course Power Cards.

I found a semi automated character sheet that I liked, and even better I found templates for making my own power cards.
4E Fan Publishing

There are other templates for cards as well as databases of complete cards here;
The Dungeon Crawl - Power Cards

I hope other 4e players find this useful.

Remove ads