• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Low INT and skill points.

Tauric

First Post
Help me clarify something, please.

If I have a character with an INT of 6, that's a -2 skill points. All characters are guaranteed at least 1 skill point. Now, if the character is a human, and they get a bonus skill point, a human with a 6 INT would have 2 skill points, right?

So a human fighter with INT of 6 would still get two skill points, am I correct?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Tauric said:
Help me clarify something, please.

If I have a character with an INT of 6, that's a -2 skill points. All characters are guaranteed at least 1 skill point. Now, if the character is a human, and they get a bonus skill point, a human with a 6 INT would have 2 skill points, right?

So a human fighter with INT of 6 would still get two skill points, am I correct?
Nope. They still get 1 skill point.

As I understand it, you apply the penalty after everything else.

So no, the human fighter would still only have 1 skill point. 3 -2 =1.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Mouseferatu said:

Yes, that's right. It doesn't matter as much when you apply the penalties or the bonuses, but you have to apply the 'minimum 1' last of all.

Iku Rex

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:

Why? Humans get "1 extra skill point" per level. If you give the character only one skill point, he didn't get "1 extra skill point" as per the rules, did he?

Not only does that match the RAW, it makes sense game mechanically and I'm fairly sure I've seen a clarification at some point (sorry - no cite) from WotC confirming it.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Iku Rex said:
Why? Humans get "1 extra skill point" per level. If you give the character only one skill point, he didn't get "1 extra skill point" as per the rules, did he?

Not only does that match the RAW, it makes sense game mechanically and I'm fairly sure I've seen a clarification at some point (sorry - no cite) from WotC confirming it.
Let's say I have 2 Constitution and I am a Wizard, level 10. Obviously, I get only 1 hit point at each level (because it is minimum 1), so I have 10 hit points. Are you saying that a Belt of Constitution +2 would give me +1 hit points at each level, giving me 20 hit points?

Wolf72

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Let's say I have 2 Constitution and I am a Wizard, level 10. Obviously, I get only 1 hit point at each level (because it is minimum 1), so I have 10 hit points. Are you saying that a Belt of Constitution +2 would give me +1 hit points at each level, giving me 20 hit points?

no, that raises your con to 4 ... nothing else.

iirc this question was answered by the Sage a ways back and that human fighter in the above example should get two skill points per level.

[edit] ... I think the example goes like this

1st lvl: (2-2=min 1) * 4= 4 skill points +4 human bonus points = 8 skill points
2nd lvl: 2+ -2= min 1 +1 bonus point = +2 skill points ...

Last edited:

Iku Rex

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
No. What makes you think that?

To use a proper analogy, I'm saying that the Improved Toughness (CW) feat grants you "one additional hit point" every level, as per the feat description, regardless of your Con.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Iku Rex said:
No. What makes you think that?

To use a proper analogy, I'm saying that the Improved Toughness (CW) feat grants you "one additional hit point" every level, as per the feat description, regardless of your Con.
The key here is on page 9 of the Player's Handbook:

Under Constitution--

*Each roll of a Hit Die (though a penalty can never drop a result below 1...)

Under Intelligence--

*The number of skill points gained each level (But your character always gets at least 1 skill point per level)

The Constitution wording makes it clear that the 1 hp per level minimum is applied after only the Con penalty, but if you read Intelligence carefully, it holistically states that you gain at least 1 period.

If this makes you ask yourself why a race's special abilities would apply abnormally in certain situations, remember that a half-orc who puts a 3 into his Intelligence score does not suffer the usual -2 racial penalty to Intelligence.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads