• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Low Level Combo

sfedi

First Post
argo said:
A spell doesn't have to give a bonus/penalty to have the stacking rules apply:

<snip>

So if the target made one will save and failed one he would be frightened (the "best" effect applies) but if he made both saves he would only be shaken since identical spells don't stack.

Right.
Except when the effects are explicitly defined as cumulative:

Becoming Even More Fearful: Fear effects are cumulative. <snip>

It seems that this is a case in which there is a general rule (the one Wish stated perviously), overriden by a specific exception (the definition of Fear).

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I discovered this combo -- and other similar combos -- a while back, when I started playing my necrotheurge.

Try using it on someone a party member has Intimidated, for instance. (Or vice versa.)

reanjr

First Post
sfedi said:
If two 1st level casters, cast Cause Fear to the same target, it WILL Flee on it's next action. Even if s/he makes both saves.

Frightening, isn't it?

:p

Yeah, but it's only for one round.

sfedi

First Post
wilder_jw said:
I discovered this combo -- and other similar combos -- a while back, when I started playing my necrotheurge.

Try using it on someone a party member has Intimidated, for instance. (Or vice versa.)

This is a good one!

Finally a reason to Intimiadate someone in combat!

Any other combos you'd like to share?

sfedi

First Post
reanjr said:
Yeah, but it's only for one round.

Yeah, in the worst case scenario, and with a 100% chance!
(if under the 5 HD limit)
It may last more if the target failed at least one spell.

yoippari

First Post
After reading wall of stone it looks like if enough mages got together then they could construct a keep within a day. I havent read anything on keeps so this is just a guess but the theory still stands.

Back on topic of low level combos. Would it be possible to make a wall of stone across a chasm and later bring it down on enemies? Perhaps by using something like a disintgrate spell near the section that keeps it raised.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads