• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Low Level Cooperation help.

akbearfoot

First Post
I second the opinion that Arcane Trickster is really really NOT broken. Especially so if you actually play it from the beginning through all those sucktastic levels where you are FAR less powerful than a straight class character.

It's just like all the other dual-style progression PrCs...they LOOK really strong on paper. However like all the rest of those classes, the delayed spell progression hurts their power tremendously.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail. To the OP...it sounds like the role-playing will be much harder than the actual game-play. Using savage species plus the incarnum stuff implies the DM allows a lot of lattitude. Which is probably good because the squid-man is chaotic evil and eats brains.

Druids are good at melee(and everything else too), dont know what incarnum-a-thingies do, wizards are pretty weak until about 5th level, and the squid-man -should- be weak for several levels until he gets mind blast, then you will want to always stay behind him while he wins the game for you all.

xigbar

Explorer
First, I meant Improved Unarmed Strike, I think, otherwise I'll check on that, and a Grappler Focus could fill the melee role better. And yes, I was asking how they interact mechanically, although, I should add in the alignment, since we are quite an unusual group. My Tiefling is NG, the Incarnum in LN, the Mindflayer is LE, and the Druid is TN. My Wizard build is made mostly for roleplaying reasons, and I optimized it later, so my build is not up for debate. The Incarnum is trying to bring communism to the Eberron based world, and is training the Mindflayer to be a dictator. The Druid had to run from her village, because it was destroyed by Mindflayer, but is trying to be a counterinfluence to our group's Mindflayer, trying to see if it can be made anything but evil, not having spent much with other Mindflayers. My character is looking for a friend of her's who helped her escape from her home in a mountain village which was attacked by demons attempting to bring her to the Abyss, because her demonic ancestry is of royal lineage, and she's the current heir, even though she's not evil and knows nothing about it.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Here's the original thread for more amusement on this topic.

O_O

Never saw that thread before. Wow...

Previously, I had high opinions of certain posters and low opinions of others. After suffering through those pages.... the magnitude of my like and dislike, respectively, for said people (without revealing who is in each group) who posted in that thread grew significantly.

Empirate

First Post
Sorry for that. Back on topic:

Just second, which is what I need help with. I understand game play in theory, but most of the cool stuff I'll be able to do is later, and I was wondering how one should go about surviving at lower levels, until I don't even need to worry about it, and how this kind of group would cooperate. I know we're going in to the desert, and my wizard has 18 CON, a +1 Cloak of Res. (we have slightly higher than starting gold, as part of the campaign design) and Desert Robes, so her saves are +7 against the DC 15. I have 4 Scrolls of Endure Elements.
At that level of the game, you need to be really careful about basically everything. You're a Tiefling Wizard 1? In a desert. Whoa. What's good about this situation is that the DM is probably planning to have the environment itself constitute much of the adventure's challenge. You can hope that actual fighting won't happen as much as in an actual dungeon. You're familiar with heat dangers etc. obviously, so you'll know they'll affect you less than everybody else in the group: Fire resistance (hopefully) makes you immune to the desert environment's heat, as well.

Your spells/day are exceptionally limited at this point, so you should basically just not cast them except in an emergency. Don't waste a precious slot on Mage Armor, just try and stay away from opponents completely and plink away with that Longbow (martial weapon prof from Outsider type), it's mostly all you can do. Sleep or Grease, plus hoping for bad saving throw rolls, is your best bet when casting in combat, I guess. One of your scrolls should immediately be scribed into your spellbook, with the rest kept handy for an emergency. I'm thinking protecting one of the frontliners from heat dangers ought to be worthwhile, probably the flayer (since he can't do anything useful except go into melee yet). The Druid can protect himself, so you have two heat-protected people in the party at all times, plus yourself. In a desert, at low levels, Endure Elements can be a really nice 24 hour buff!

Long story short: at this point, just try and be of help in minor ways, and don't expect to rule the game anytime soon. You're a level behind, and it will show for a level or two. Aid another, use that Longbow, make use of your Knowledge skills, cross your fingers you'll survive till next level.

BTW, I'm covering just your side of the story, and purely mechanics, since I have no idea what the roleplaying in your group may be like - you did have an idea how to make this work before everybody brought their shiny new all-over-the-place characters, didn't you?

Last edited:

xigbar

Explorer
Fire Resistance only helps me in the most extreme heats where it's fire damage, heat damage being separate. While I do have a general understanding of how to do things for the specifics of *this* dungeon, I'm speaking in general. As I mentioned earlier, I bought 4 scrolls of endure elements, but I was asking more how these character would fill the traditional brute/sneak/arcane/divine roles, mechanically, to make it through the lower levels. As an outsider, I also have better Alter Self options, and my 20 Int gives me 2 bonus 1st slots, plus another one for focusing in conjuration.

Remove ads