• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Low Magic Settings?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Warhammer's 'Old World' is excellent (though it's not a 'd20' setting; I'm not sure if that's important to you). The Hyborian world of Conan is also cool.

tetsujin28 said:
Settings? As Akrasia mentioned, you can't get more old-school low-magic than Conan's Hyborea.

That's on my wish-list, along with Thieves' World, Black Company, and apparently the new Dark Legacies book. I likes my grim'n'gritty.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I don't understand why people keep mentioning Grim Tales. While a fine product, GT is not a setting. (And neither is Iron Heroes, for that matter, despite including a brief blurb on the 'sword lands' or whatever.)

Crothian

First Post
Akrasia said:
I don't understand why people keep mentioning Grim Tales. While a fine product, GT is not a setting. (And neither is Iron Heroes, for that matter, despite including a brief blurb on the 'sword lands' or whatever.)

Because low magic setting is worthless without low magic rules.....

GlassJaw

Hero
Crothian said:
Because low magic setting is worthless without low magic rules.....

Right, and Grim Tales is the best place to start for those rules.

Seriously though, there aren't that many low-magic settings per se. Most of them still only exist in non-gaming form. Midnight, Conan, and Dark Legacies just to mind first on the short list.

If you want to run a low-magic campaign, your best bet is to start with an idea of the world you want first and then find a ruleset that fits your vision.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads