[LPF] Evil Unto Evil

Systole

First Post
The old fishwife nods. "I'll answer your questions, but I'd not have the boy stay in a house that reeks of death. We'll take him down to the town proper and get him squared away, and I'll have a runner sent for the priest."

There seems to be nothing left in the house of any significant value -- or potential for evil -- although it definitely needs at good airing out at the very least. Gemma manages to get Davel to his feet and walking toward town. His eyes are glassy and the boy is clearly in shock. He mumbles occasionally, and you're able to make out a few snatches of sense. "... took my nets to wrap him in ..." "... the dagger, the dagger ..." "... secrets ... too many ... teaching me ... don't want to know, don't want to know, don't want to know ..."

Gemma eventually gets him to bed, then brings you to her house and sits you down around her table. She takes an earthenware jug out of the cellar, offers a cup or everyone, and pours herself a generous measure of moonshine to calm her nerves. In the day or so that you've known her, Gemma has never let her age get in the way of her vitality, but for once she looks shaken.

"Rosa Haal is ... was from a fisher family, back when Gandling didn't have La Famiglia or King's Gang or the other one. She's my goddaughter, in fact. But ... she always had the devil in her. Lying, stealing, carrying on other girls' betrotheds. When the criminal element came, about 18 or 20 years ago now, Rosa went over to them and never looked back. I know she's my goddaughter, but it was a relief to be rid of her.

"Mostly rid of her. She came back once, because she had Davel with one of them. At first, she didn't say who was the father, but we all knew it was the don, since the boy was the spitting image of him even when he was a wee baby. And since Rosa couldn't be bothered raising a child herself, she left Davel with her parents and the rest of us fisherfolk. We raised him right, and he grew up to be a fine netmaker. He's ... he's a little simple, to speak truthfully, but he's got a good heart.

"Once Davel started getting older ... once Rosa didn't have quite the same looks she used to ... she started coming back now and again. She wanted Davel to step up, join the criminals under his father, be the heir to the throne and such. She'd help him and advise him, she said. Davel didn't want that, and from what I heard the don was happy to let him be happy. It drove Rosa to shrieking fits, that both the don and her boy refused her so."

davel_150.jpg
fisher2_150.jpg

. . . . . . Davel . . . . . . . . Gemma Moressi . .

[sblock=Combat]Combat over.

Tyrien advances (advanced a bit back, actually). She is level 10 with 85079 experience as of today. Eanos falls just short of leveling with 70889 today, but will ding from TBX with 71005 tomorrow.

The brute minion has a +1 greatsword and +1 fullplate. The sneaky minion was using a pair of +1 small daggers.[/sblock][/QUOTE]

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

Eanos listens patiently to the tale, though his manner seems to grow slightly colder as Gemma reveals Rosa's history. He shakes his head.

"Not a lover, then, but her own blood," he said, his disdain clear. He cocks his head to one side, then, before offering, "And then the Don died. But that's been a long time gone. Don't tell me Rosa just went back to living like common fisher folk all this time?

"And where did all this undead magic come from? A body doesn't learn that kind of thing just over a long holiday. Davel, he mentioned a dagger."
He frowns, thinking. "A body might, though, if she was resourceful, manage to get her hands on a nasty little artifact, if she were willing to go to the right sort.

"First, then, did Rosa come back from any kind of trip just 'fore the trouble started? And even if she didn't, is there anywhere else in Gandling you know of that she might think of as safe, or as hers? She's not running this little puppet show from Davel's, at least, but don't imagine she'd want to be too terribly far."

[sblock=ooc]Did Eanos' detect evil show anything on Gemma or Davel?[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
EanosHead_zps0dbe2e86.jpg
Eanos Setirav

Initiative: +8
AC: 23 (26 w/ SoF, 25 w/Prot Evil)
HP:68 Current: 42
Senses: Perception 19 (23 scent w/ Bloodhound), Sense Motive 22/26
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +7 (+9 w/ purity, +10 w/ Prot evil)
Reflex: +9 (+10 w/ purity, +11 w/ Prot evil)
Will: +11 (+13 w/ purity, +14 w/ Prot evil)
***-4 saves vs odor based effects w/ Bloodhound

Conditions:
* Deadeye's Lore (8 hours, +4 Survival, track at full speed)
* Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim, -4 save vs odor based effects)

In Hand: Bow

Common Attacks:

+1 Seeking Comp. Longbow (Str +1)*: Attack: +13/+08 = [BAB (06/01)
+ DEX (05) + Magic (01) + Bracers (01)]
negates miss percentage chances
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 19-20/x3^, range 110'
Spiritual Weapon (Sbow): Attack: +09/+04 = [BAB (06/01) + WIS (03)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, range 170' Special: force / spell
All: +2 to hit & damage / +2d6 damage when using Bane ability

2 +1 Daggers (temporary)

* +1 to hit / damage within 30' (point blank shot),
* Deadly Aim available (-2 attack, +4 damage)
^ Crit range increased via Bracer's of Falcon's Aim
Many Shot: 1st attack of Full attack uses 2 arrows for damage on a hit.

Arrows: 22/31
Blunt Arrows: 16/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 22/50 remaining
Disguise kit uses: 9/10 remaining
Spider Climb (boots) minutes: 9/10 remaining

Used: none

Judgement (2 choice per): 2/3 Remaining
Determination: 4/4 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 3/7 remaining
Bane: 5/9 rounds remaining
Discern Lies (DC 17): 9/9 rounds remaining
Dimensional Hop: 70'/90' feet remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 14): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (5/6 remaining)(DC 15): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (4/5 remaining)(DC 16): Bloodhound, Ghostbane Dirge, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (4/4 remaining)(DC 17): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Invisibility Purge, Prayer

* Stealth bonus not stackable with ioun stone

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien sat at the table as they waited for a priest to come and deal with the draining touch of the wights. After the last encounter with undead, the archeress was more inclined to trust the old fisherwoman.

She commented, "Sounds more and more like Rosa is our girl and the key to finding the Don. We really need to locate her."

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +17 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 62 Current: 49 (-10 HP Energy Drain)
CMB: +8 CMD: 27(20ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +12 Will: +5 (includes -2 Energy Drain)
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO), -2 Level Energy Drain
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 2/3 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
Gemma shakes her head. "Truth be told, I've no idea what Rosa got up to after the Don died. I assumed she stayed in the other part of town making a living however a person such as Rosa makes a living. Or maybe she had enough of the don's money to last her a while."

She pauses. "But if there was black magic ... and Rosa did it ... well, there's a forgotten place on the far side of town. Elvish catacombs from a past age. We fishers don't go that way much, and I doubt any of the gangs even know about it. But there's old magic in there, and I know Rosa poked around it once or twice when she was a gel. I gave her a proper hiding once myself, after she'd been warned and gone there anyway. I can point you to them."

There's a knock at the door, and a young woman says, "Father Mackavoy is here, missus."

Gemma bigs them enter, and a man in a Stormlord frock walks in with the delicate grace of someone who is trying very consciously hard not to stumble, or perhaps not to vomit. "Who needsh fixin'? The Stromlerd ... the Shtrum ... the Mrost ... Tanager providesh. For a reashonable fee."

fisher2_150.jpg
mackavoy_150.gif

. . Gemma Moressi . . . Father Mackavoy . .

[sblock=Combat]Davel and Gemma are clear of magic and evil, although Davel does smell like someone who's spent the past week locked in a small four with four dead bodies.

Anything you want from the priest besides some restorations?[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Ah, Ancient knowledge. Always a likely source such as what we see. Is not a surprise she would go there, and that it would be find. Most ties safe magics like evocations of fire would be difficult to find where Necromancy seems to show up in places for the more innocent to find.

We will need to know where these Elvin ruins are. But while the priest is working, I am curious to know what happened to the lagoon to defile it so?"

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

At the arrival of the drunken priest, Eanos realizes he's not tended to his own wounds. He pulls out the wand from his belt, calling on its magic several times before he's satisfied that the scratches remaining are mild enough to warrant no further uses. He nods to Heinrich to let the wizard know he can use Heinrich's wand to heal any damage from the fire wizard, as well, knowing Tyrien has the skills to heal herself without his aid.

Eanos nods concession to the priest regarding the cost they'll need pay for the rituals. He holds off discussing the lagoon or the caves as long as the priest is around, but does considers carefully what he can say in his presence, finally wondering aloud:

"Our friend wound up in trouble like this because we ran afoul of a wandering bit of undead," he says, choosing his words carefully. "Think we saw another like it outside town that we're going after. Don't suppose you know the blessing that hides a body from those sorts of nasties, do you?"

[sblock=ooc]Dunno why I didn't think of it before, but Hide From Undead would be a handy little spell to have going while we're tracking this thing. It goes kerfluey once we attack, but sneaking past guard undead and saving resources might be a good idea, epecially if there's more level drain nastiness involved. Eanos has Invisibility, mind, but that's one casting / person, and doesn't last nearly as long. Figured if the priest can cast Restoration, he should be high enough level to cast Hide From Undead just once and cover all three of us for a fair amount of time, so it doesn't hurt to ask, at least.

As above, Eanos doesn't want to say anything more about what they're really doing until the priest is gone. Cagey is our little inquisitor. :)

CLW wand charges on self (1d8+1=5, 1d8+1=4, 1d8+1=8)
CLW charge (1d8+1=7)

SDW, you can roll Heinrich's wand uses if you want, and just assume Eanos uses his wand to do them, rather than a lot of back and forth deciding how many charges to use.

mini-stats should be updated for 10th level.[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
EanosHead_zps0dbe2e86.jpg
Eanos Setirav

Initiative: +8
AC: 23 (26 w/ SoF, 25 w/Prot Evil)
HP:75 Current: 73
Senses: Perception 20 (24 scent w/ Bloodhound), Sense Motive 23/27
CMB: +8 CMD: 23 Fort: +8 (+11 w/ purity, +12 w/ Prot evil)
Reflex: +9 (+12 w/ purity, +13 w/ Prot evil)
Will: +12 (+15 w/ purity, +16 w/ Prot evil)
***-4 saves vs odor based effects w/ Bloodhound
***Purity bonus doubled vs. curses, diseases, and poisons

Conditions:
* Deadeye's Lore (8 hours, +4 Survival, track at full speed)
* Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim, -4 save vs odor based effects)

In Hand: Bow

Common Attacks:

+1 Seeking Comp. Longbow (Str +1)*: Attack: +14/+09 = [BAB (07/02)
+ DEX (05) + Magic (01) + Bracers (01)]
negates miss percentage chances
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 19-20/x3^, range 110'
Spiritual Weapon (Sbow): Attack: +10/+05 = [BAB (07/02) + WIS (03)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, range 170' Special: force / spell
All: +2 to hit & damage / +2d6 damage when using Bane ability

2 +1 Daggers (temporary)

* +1 to hit / damage within 30' (point blank shot),
* Deadly Aim available (-3 attack, +6 damage)
^ Crit range increased via Bracer's of Falcon's Aim
Many Shot: 1st attack of Full attack uses 2 arrows for damage on a hit.

Arrows: 22/31
Blunt Arrows: 16/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 18/50 remaining
Disguise kit uses: 9/10 remaining
Spider Climb (boots) minutes: 9/10 remaining

Used: none

Judgement (2 choice per): 3/4 Remaining
Determination: 4/4 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 3/7 remaining
Bane: 6/10 rounds remaining
Discern Lies (DC 17): 10/10 rounds remaining
Dimensional Hop: 80'/100' feet remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 14): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (5/6 remaining)(DC 15): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (4/5 remaining)(DC 16): Bloodhound, Flames of the Faithful, Ghostbane Dirge, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (4/4 remaining)(DC 17): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Halt Undead, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
4th (2/2 remaining)(DC 18): Death Ward, Judgment Light

* Stealth bonus not stackable with ioun stone

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Wand use

OOC: okies. I will look and see how much damage he took. some questions that I would like answered soon:
1. how long has the lagoon been tainted?
2. does Gemma know how it became that way?
3. how far away is the Elvin caves [it was caves, right?]
4. What are the purported dangers of the ancient ruins ?
5. how old are the ruins?
6. who would make the best guide to get there and for around there?

also, I need to find out how much damage has he taken.

A whiff of breath soured by alcohol gives Heinrich's stomach a turn, but gets his mind on a side track about how alcohol and fire are not always good together. Best he not try and get any fire going in the fire place just yet.

Heinrich hands over his wand to the sly sleuth to receive healing while the crocked cleric restores the life to the Archeress of excellence stolen by the recently re-departed.

He notices the astute articulation of Eanos is avoiding the mention of the lagoon so he does not press the matter any further then his own afore worded inquiries. However his hands itch of wont to rid the fishing village's baleful bewitchment of the bight
[*]

[*] yes I know a bight is really a cove. deal with it! :]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien gestured to herself, "I am the one needing some divine blessing to counter the draining touch of undead creatures. Name your fee and perhaps my red-headed friend here will decide if it is reasonable or not, eh."

She nodded to Eanos and his silver tongue gesturing for him to go ahead with the haggling.

Tyrien had agreed with the idea of purchasing some extra magic to shield them from undead. She added as well, "We need to have some help in keeping such creatures like wights from getting up close too. invisible walls? Or summon up some fodder to keep them occupied?"

"Father, do you have spell scrolls for sale?"
she asked the drunken priest.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +17 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 62 Current: 49 (-10 HP Energy Drain)
CMB: +8 CMD: 27(20ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +12 Will: +5 (includes -2 Energy Drain)
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO), -2 Level Energy Drain
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 2/3 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock][sblock=OOC]Stats are still 9th level. I will update once the Restoration is cast and the level drains are gone.

Are we taking the cost of those out of the net gain on treasure? jkason, perhaps you can reduce the cost with some Diplomacy :)[/sblock]

Remove ads