[LPF] The Forbidden Isle of Ancient Secrets

jbear

First Post
Relic tries to make sense of what the party is talking about without having the full visual reference to join the dots. He follows Kalinn's gaze to the base of the tower. Figuring he would get a better view from there he mutters: "Let's go and get as high as we can so I can see what it is our little friend is talking about. I do hope he does not mean that the Armillary Tower is floating around somewhere up in the sky!"

With that he moves towards the entrance of the broken tower. He stops at the doorway and beckons for his companions to enter first.

[sblock=OOC] Relic could use Animate Rope to assist in the Tower Wrangling. Or we could tie ourselves to the rope and Relic could cast levitate (unlimited amount of times) to float another 20 ft up above the tower base and jump on and tie off the rope somewhere (hopefully) [/sblock]

jackslate45

First Post
Aradra stands up and says "Relic, your guess is right, the tower is floating up there. It seems to circuit as well, so we do not have to rush into this. Speaking of rope... " Showing them the 100' of rope, about a 1/4 of which is now knotted to make the climbing easier. "If I get a good enough angle, I should be able to have the grappling hook latch onto something. I need more time to knot it however. "

Moving past Relic, the ranger starts climbing the tower.

[sblock=OOC]
From what I can tell, with the grappling hook Aradra can quite easily hook onto floating spire.
[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
Aradra moves ahead and up the stairs with Shadow following. The stones of the stairs seem solid. The next floor up has only half of its stone floor, the rest broken off and shattered on the ground below. Looking around, the stairs should get a couple people up to 15 feet above ground level. Looking over the outer wall, the tower is on the edge of the cliff. Falling down would be a 180' drop onto rocks or water. Sigils on the ground floor, while looking ominous are not glowing. If they had magic in them, that magic faded away long ago. Aradra studies the storm, and advises against the uses of levitation.

[sblock=ooc]Rope and grappling hook should work. Knotted rope even better. Multiple grapples possible, but there is limited space at the top of the stairs. Animate Rope spell, not that useful. If you reread the spell, it is quite limited in capabilities. Aradra guesses that you are going to get one clean round of attempting the grappling hook. The next round can be attempted at a major penalty as the tower has already moved past its base. The tower is moving at 50' per round.

Aradra studies the storm, and advises against the use of Levitation. Once within the storm's area of influence, it is considered a windstorm. Core p.439. Using Fly, DC 20 fly checks each round to control your movement, or be shunted 1d10x6 feet in a random direction. Using just Levitation, worse.[/sblock][sblock=map]Flat Gray at +0 ft. Cobblestone at +10'. Pink shading at +15'. Rough brown at -180'. Blue water at -190 ft. Tower moving at 50' per round.
island45.png
[/sblock]

jackslate45

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Rope and grappling hook should work. Knotted rope even better. Multiple grapples possible, but there is limited space at the top of the stairs. Animate Rope spell, not that useful. If you reread the spell, it is quite limited in capabilities. Aradra guesses that you are going to get one clean round of attempting the grappling hook. The next round can be attempted at a major penalty as the tower has already moved past its base. The tower is moving at 50' per round.

Aradra studies the storm, and advises against the use of Levitation. Once within the storm's area of influence, it is considered a windstorm. Core p.439. Using Fly, DC 20 fly checks each round to control your movement, or be shunted 1d10x6 feet in a random direction. Using just Levitation, worse.[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
Is hanging off a rope in the middle of a wind storm going to have a penalty to climb checks? Even with 100'of rope, if you knot it properly it would be down to 70' total, so i am not worried about length right now. At least till we are over the sea.

Also, Shadow has to be left behind, so someone will need to remain behind with him. I would recommend splitting the party at 3/3.
[/sblock]

Aradra keeps working at the knots inside the building, wanting to get as much as the rope in knots to make the eventual climb easier.

Satin Knights

First Post
[sblock=ooc]The bottom edge of the flying tower is at the edge of the storm, so it is not as bad as at the other end. Yes, it will make the rope climbing a bit more difficult, but not too difficult. Two people on the same rope is also going to be a bit difficult.
Have you ever been waterskiing where you sit on the edge of the dock to take off? Once the boat takes up the 10' of slack as it accelerates, that inertial jerk is a bitch.
Daylily's thought of simply lassoing the tower and stopping it isn't going to work. Mass time Momentum vs. Daylily's pride, well momentum wins.[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
"So we does it the others way? Fah. I am could do it, but we will climb if the voting is say climb." He takes off his hide shirt for the second time today and waits for the rope to be thrown. "You is first, Elder. Then I can catching you if your arm is not the good."

jackslate45

First Post
Once the rope was fully knotted, Aradra looks behind to his wolf and rubs his ears. "Shadow, stay here. I've got to go real quick, but I'll be back. Ok?" The wolf blinks a couple times, but proceeds to decend down the stairs

Moving to the top of the stair case, Ardara takes 20' of the rope and prepares it to be thrown, and his own part to grab once the hook clicks. The rest of the rope he throws over the side for the other two who were travelling with him.

Holding tight the rope in his left hand, and starting to twirl the grappling hook, Aradra looks ready to latch onto the floating spire.

When the spire returns for its most recent pass, Aradra waits for it to its closest point, looking for a place to hook it before tossing it towards the spire.
[sblock=Actions]
Shadow ordered to Stay.

Aradra: Grappling Hook time. +15 (DEX and BAB). And the toss: 1d20+15=26
[/sblock]
[sblock=Aradra Stats]
Aradra Longstrider
AC: 21 (15 flat-footed, 16 touch)
HP: 87/87
CMB: +11 CMD: 27
Fort: +8 Reflex: +14 Will: +6
Perception: +14
Initiative: +8
Current Weapon in Hand: Grappling Hook.
Weapon in Quiver: Bow +17/+12 1d8+3 or +12/+12/+7 1d8+9 1st hit deals double
Current Item in Right Hand Sheath: Wand of Abundent Ammo (46/50)
Current Conditions in Effect: Rapid Shot/Deadly Aim;Woodland Stride ; Evasion
Used Items: 5 charges of Abundent Ammo. 4 charges of CLW, AntiVenom
Adaptation: 80/80 Minutes Remain (Darkvision, Iron Will, Skill Focus Stealth)
Level 1 Spells:Delay Poison, Gravity Bow, <EMPTY SLOT>
Level 2 Spells: Perceive Clues, Barkskin (+3)
Extend Rod: 0/3 per Day
Pearl of Power lvl 1: AVAILABLE
[/sblock]
[sblock=Shadow Stats]
Shadow
AC: 22 (20 flat-footed, 11 touch) (-1 DEX from AC +1 NA bonus)
HP: 90/90
CMB: +14 CMD: 27 (31 vs Trip)
Fort: +11 Reflex: +8 Will: +5 (+4 vs Enchantment Charm/Compulsion)
Perception: +14
Initiative: +2
Current Weapon in Hand: Bite (+12/+5 1d8 + 16 + Trip) + d6 Shocking Amulet of Mighty Biting (activated)
Current Conditions in Effect: Power Attack, Furious Focus, Evasion, Share Spells; Scent;
[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
Relic turns his head towards Daylily and cocks his bushy eyebrow. "Climb? Me? No ... I don't think that is a good idea. I will wait here with Shadow. I am sure you will be able to find the lenses we need. If you can't then we will find a way for you to haul me up safely."

Satin Knights

First Post
Aradra hooks an iron torch sconce on the fast moving spire. The rope snaps taught, jerking Aradra sideways before ripping out of his hands. He steadies himself, with his toes hanging over the edge of the stairs, just missing a fall. Daylily's grip on the rope on the other hand is quite firm. With a howl he takes to the air, having to lift his feet a bit to clear the far side of the tower. Swinging from the rope, Daylily is on a private tour of the island.

[sblock=ooc]Aradra Weight 200 body + 24 carried = past heavy, DC 15 STR or climb check climb check to hold at jerk (1d20+7=12) failed
Daylily 120 + 63 (he stripped his shirt!) = medium, DC 5 STR or climb check climb check auto (1d20+6=20) Succeeds!!

Daylily is dangling from the rope, about 20' from the bottom edge of the tower as it heads out over the cliff to the sea.
[/sblock][sblock=map]Prep before the spire arrived.
island46.png
[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
Daylily laughs joyously as he sails away. "Uyah! Arrdara! Exercise your muscle until I am back! For next time better!" He begins making his way up the rope.

He climbs easily hand over hand, and not long later pulls himself onto the broken floor of the upper tower, where he looks around to make sure there is no immediate danger. Seeing none, he stands at the edge of the floor, unties the dirty leather cord that keeps his leggings up, and lets a long, yellow stream arc out over the town below. "Ahh..." he sighs, with an immense grin on his face.

[sblock]Unless there are other circumstances, knotted rope is DC15 to free-climb, so Daylily will take 10. Also, Daylily is at +9 Climb at the moment. He removed the shirt to clear the ACP, and I haven't put in the belt bonus yet.

I'll retcon this if he's under immediate attack, but just figured I'd try to minimize solo actions.[/sblock]

Remove ads