• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] The Forge of Fury, Pt1

mfloyd3

Explorer
OOC: Perhaps I missed it, but I thought we were still having this discussion on the night they camped. Iago made his proposal when he took out his rations for the night. I deliberately wanted to start the discussion so that we would be able to change spells in the morning. PM, can you confirm?

mfloyd3

Explorer
Iago mulls the situation over. "It seems to me our biggest choice is whether to try and scout the area, or ascend as a group. We have no one who is skilled in stealth, and no means to help them quickly if they come under attack, so it seems safest to go in force."

He looks over at the peak again. "That trail is the obvious way, but I fear they are watching it. We could try to ascend another way, perhaps at the north where the slope is gentler, but it may not be easy and we will be vulnerable if we are seen and attacked. What say you all? Ascend the trail, or look for another way?"

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Marcus still looks as if he would be willing to risk it, but having been outvoted 3 to 1 (Fae'shiel, Iago and Fae'shiel's Sword), he resigns himself to finding alternate ideas.

"I'm not sure that making it up the path is feasible since we know they will be watching it. We would have to look for what would seem to be the safest path if we went up the gentler side. That might be doable, though a tad bit slow and as dangerous as the path if we are spotted."

He sits down, stepping out from between the two now that the threat of bloodshed is near zero and pulls his knees under his chin, looking thoughtful.

"Too bad we don't have Orc disguises. We could just clomp right up the trail without being bothered."

He blinks and shifts, pulling his travel sized book from his pack.

"Wait a second."

He pulls the book around and opens it, trying to read in the near dark proving to be a bit difficult for his eyes. He tilts the book and carefully runs fingertip along the contents of a couple of pages until he finds it. His brows furrow as he tries to read the script there.

"Lady Fae'shiel, do you remember when we translated this one? Didn't it say something about images of another or something? Or was that an object?"

He offers the travel book to Fae'shiel, his finger pointing to the symbols that make up the name of the spell "Prestidigitation".

DalkonCledwin

First Post
Fae'shiel curiously looks over the spell that Marcus had pointed to, trying to remember what the symbols were for. She then recalls that page in his spellbook was for the prestidigitation spell, unfortunately if she recalls correctly the power of that spell was insufficient to create the kinds of effects that they were looking for. She says "If we had more time, and were better prepared, I might have been able to have taught Marcus the two perfect spells for this venture, though I myself can't cast them. The ability to generate phantom noises and phantom images would have been particularly useful for sneaking our way onto this mountain."

[sblock=OOC]Please note, Marcus has never informed Fae'shiel that his opposition schools are Illusion and Necromancy...[/sblock]

mfloyd3

Explorer
"I'm not sure disguises would help in any case," says Iago. "Their lookouts probably know the raiders who go out, and strange orcs may get no warmer reception than other strangers."

He shrugs. "Let's wait until dawn, and then circle the mountain and look for good ways up. We can stay under cover of trees so we're not spotted. We can also check the orcs' tracks and see what trails they use, and perhaps that will tell us something."

Iago finishes his meal, and begins setting aside his weapons for the night.

[sblock=ooc]Anyone else have other plans to do? Otherwise, we should probably advance the scene. Everyone figure out what spells they will memorize for the next day, with the idea of this kind of ascent in mind![/sblock]

DalkonCledwin

First Post
"You misunderstand. The spells to create phantom noises and phantom images would allow us to appear to be in two places simultaneously, thereby sowing confusion amongst the Orc Ranks. They are a manner of illusory projection that creates the image and noises of whatever we wish to project. Unfortunately the range is limited, but it is sufficient to allow us to travel a little more freely than we would be able to otherwise. Plus it would give better protection to whoever was to scout than my invisibility spell would be able to grant." Fae'shiel says by way of explanation of what it was she was attempting to say earlier. She then ponders for a moment and says "Then again, the alter person spell would be the one you are thinking of, where by we would be able to take on the appearance of Orcs or other humanoids. But I agree that strange Orcs would probably recieve no warmer a reception than strange humans. Afterall they did attack you on sight and you at least are of Orcish descent, are you not Iago?"

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Ariel Esimae, Female Aasimar Cleric (NPC)

Nicki-Aycox_9-29-03_Wescyde-Scan.jpg

Ariel does not offer an opinion on the planning, content to let the others decide what to do. She gets up from her spot by the fire and moves to her bed roll.

"I do not have any spells to help us with ruses or hiding from the orcs. If we are decided, then I shall turn in to rest first as I have the last watch."

[sblock=Mini Stats] Ariel Esimae
Initiative: +2
AC: 26 (23 without shield, 24 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 37 Current: 37
CMB: +5 CMD: 18 Fort: +6 Reflex: +4 Will: +8 (+10 vs. Fear)
+1 for all with Resistance
Resistance: 5 Cold, 5 Acid, 5 Electricity
Conditions if Effect: None

Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
Javelins: 5/5 Remaining

Fire Bolt: 6/6 Remaining Channel Energy: 5/5 remaining (3d6/DC14)
Deflection Aura: 1/1 remaining
Spells Remaining: Orisons: (Light, Resistance, Guidance, Detect Magic)
1st Level 5/5* (Shield of Faith, Doom, Bless, Divine Favor, Burning Hands)
2nd Level 4/4 (Lessor Restoration, Hold Person, Sound Burst, Barkskin)
3rd Level 3/3 (Fireball, Searing Light, Dispel Magic)[/sblock][sblock=Stone Tooth Area Map]Note: North it to the top, and you are down on the southwest corner

TheStoneToothMap_zps18b7a480.jpg
[/sblock]
GM: The night will pass uneventfully since you rolled well for your campsite.

mfloyd3

Explorer
Iago gives Fae'shiel a hard look at her comment on his ancestry, but lets the comment pass. "We seem to lack the spells and talents for a ruse in any case. So let us scout the mountain tomorrow and proceed." He nods to Marcus. "Will you take the first watch?"

perrinmiller

Adventurer
GM: *BUMP*
All other players have posted elsewhere in the last 48 hours, yet ignored this thread. The night will be uneventful and I am waiting for you to post actions. You can even make it the next morning if that helps.

Remove ads