D&D General Luke Gygax Brings Back Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg

Luke Gygax is bringing back his father's creations starting with the Castle Zagyg.

Luke Gygax is bringing back his father's creations starting with the Castle Zagyg, Yggsburgh Campaign Setting. Written by Gary Gygax and first published by Troll Lord Games in 2005 and dropped from publication in 2008. It is available now in preorder. The intent is to ship in September/October.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 11.23.43 PM.png

For the near future this is the first of three planned products, the second being The Hermit followed up by the Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds series, probably via Kickstarter or other crowdfunder, maybe in January. The executor of the estate seems to have granted access to just these things so far. If they do well then more will be available and Luke intends to get the entirety of the Castle printed.

If you preorder the Yggsburgh book you will get a PDF and a docx with conversion notes to D&D 5E. The book is as it was in 2008 and they currently intend to leave it that way, other than updating the PDF via new software, and change the logo on the cover and the product number on the spine.

They intend to make the PDF available as a separate product, via their store and DriveThrRPG.

This book uses Castles & Crusades as its system--you can get the 7th edition Player's Handbook in PDF for free.

Other items mentioned:
  • They don't intend to print Gary's notes, as his wishes were they not to be published.
  • They will see about other creations of Gary's if they can show the executor of the estate they are good stewards. Good sales will absolutely work towards that goal.
  • Luke doesn't want to attach this to anything he's doing separately, like his own setting.
  • Gord the Rogue books are also on the list of things they'd like to bring back.

The transcript of the youtube video is in the spoiler block.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
My point still stands. IMO the game needs new stuff. Stuff we haven't seen before (whenever it was created). Catering to the grognards like me will not grow new players. Or am I wrong and new players are flocking to old school content?
You're right, but I don't really think this particular publishing effort is terribly relevant on the hobby-wide scale that, say, WotC operates at. This thing is just a "by grogs, for grogs" sort of project, and I suspect it will have zero impact on any new content released by major publishers aimed at younger and/or newer gamers.

You're right, but I don't really think this particular publishing effort is terribly relevant on the hobby-wide scale that, say, WotC operates at. This thing is just a "by grogs, for grogs" sort of project, and I suspect it will have zero impact on any new content released by major publishers aimed at younger and/or newer gamers.
I would love to see all the old stuff that has never been published. And I really should take this in context, there is a great deal of new stuff being created; just look at MCDM, CR, etc. Even WotC has gotten in with Theors etc. I just have been hoping for something new and big you know? None of them has inspired me, yet.

Ravenheart87

Explorer
I'm glad there is some effort to get the old stuff that was never released released. But this has been released before... maybe it's a necessary step to get to the unpublished stuff?

I don't know, as a grognard, I'm kind of over the whole republishing of everything old. I would much rather see new material; new settings, new everything rather than just re-editing what we have seen for decades.
It has been out of print and unavailable for many years - unless you were willing to pay collector's price on eBay. I'm glad it's back, because back when it was available I was a dirt poor university student and couldn't afford it. Keeping out of print products available is just as important as releasing new material.

Froderik

Explorer
In true Troll Lord Games fashion, the email they sent out was not proofread closely enough and it lists the 2005 price of $39.95. The actual cost for the book + PDF in 2023 is $65.

Another note: TLG’s current plan is to print the book as it was, errors, typos, and all. So be sure to hunt down all the errata for the 2005 printing of the book.

Last edited:

I enjoyed Gord the Rogue back in the day. I reread a few of them a few months ago, and while they hadn't held up from a literary perspective, they were still good gaming reading.
I read the whole series back in the day and they were a slog. Gygax was very talented but fiction was not his forte.

I would love to see all the old stuff that has never been published. And I really should take this in context, there is a great deal of new stuff being created; just look at MCDM, CR, etc. Even WotC has gotten in with Theors etc. I just have been hoping for something new and big you know? None of them has inspired me, yet.
This is probably an unpopular opinion but a lot of Gygax’ later stuff was not great. Sure there is the nostalgia but from a writing perspective it was just fair.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
In true Troll Lord Games fashion, the email they sent out was not proofread closely enough and it lists the 2005 price of $39.95. The actual cost for the book + PDF in 2023 is $65.

Another note: TLG’s current plan Is to print the book as it was, errors, typos, and all. So be sure to hunt down all the errata for the 2005 printing of the book.
Typos and all? Well, that's disappointing.

Von Ether

Legend
Typos and all? Well, that's disappointing.
True that should be done but from a gaming perspective for C&C, they don't need to change the stats. I enjoyed C&C as how I remember playing AD&D, not how it actually went, if that makes sense.

I wonder how the news of pre-orders will impact the secondary market because my copy is pretty near mint and had no idea they were going for so much.

Remove ads

Remove ads