• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lumi, The Kistune Oni-Sorcerer

Daniel Runge

First Post
Introduction:
A friend and I want to introduce another friend to Pathfinder (Pen & Paper in general), so we are 3 people in total. My first friend wants to DM, as he says he has something cool prepared. Our new friend will be playing either a Ranger or a Fighter, so I felt it would fit with a little magic, and having never played a Sorcerer before, I've gone with that.

Information:
We start at level 1, mostly for the sake of our new player.
We get to start with 2 traits

Lumi, The Charming Kitsune Oni-Sorcerer
Stats: Str: 6 Dex: 15 Con: 13 Int: 13 Wis: 10 Cha: 19
Feats: Magical Tail
Skill Ranks: Diplomacy 1, Sleight of Hand 1
Spells: Distracting Bee

Character background:
Once there was an evil spirit. He had not always been evil, but he had failed in his task, and thus he was corrupt.
On one particular day, the evil spirit was floating around in a beautiful grove, corrupting as he went. When he came upon a source of light, the like of which he had never seen, he stopped dead in his tracks.
The source of light was actually a breathtaking, stunningly beautiful, young female kitsune, and the evil spirit fell in love - for while he was corrupt, he still felt loves bittersweet, and in this case, blinding, embrace.
The source was working hard, trying to remove the stains of corruption that the spirit had wrought. So the spirit stopped corrupting, and simply silently observed the source, bathing in its light, as it penetrated his imperceptible, incorporeal form.
As the beautiful kitsune succeeded in cleansing the now non-spreading corruption, the spirit had a thought, and so it took a physical form of its own; that of a handsome, male kitsune, and sought her out in the grove.
Over the course of time, she, Nielle was her name, fell in love with him, who had taken the name Jobell, as well, and they had 6 children: Lumi, Pinar, Kolef, Taran, Juli, and Kini. 4 boys and 2 girls.
But their happiness was bound not to last, as the spirit had kept his true form a secret, keeping up his diguise, not trusting Nielle's love to last through the unveiling.
So on one dark, fateful day, Nielle's goddess visited the small family to extend her blessings. Immediatly sensing the corrupt spirit, the goddess attacked, blasting the spirit out of its body, baring its corruption for the world to see and, inadvertedly, destroying the body in the process. As the spirit lay wounded on the forest floor, its physical body destroyed, the goddess stopped her attack, stunned by the havoc wrought by her own hand, and looked to Nielle. Neither had known, but as the spirit lay in the dirt before them, the truth dawned on them both.
Nielle looked at the spirit with an expression she had never shown before - a face twisted in pain and full of disgust, directed at the spirit - The goddess prepared to strike again, and end the spirits life.
The spirit realized that pleading was not an option, and defended itself. The goddess was taken aback by its strength, not expecting it to match her own, and was gravely wounded before retreating.
... To be continued

I havnt gotten around to the details yet, but somehow Lumi's siblings are taken by the goddess and cleansed of the oni's corruption, but Lumi is not, and becomes a sorcerer as a result.

Details on Lumi:
He loves to gamble, but rarely does it fairly.
He considers himself fortunate, even about his parentage, as his magical powers and his looks are probably the only reason he is even alive to this day.
His natural charm and his sociable and loyal winners attitude attracts a great deal of friends.
He tends to inadvertently rub "alpha males" and insecure people the wrong way, but he knows why, and so can often avoid the worst trouble.
He is driven by a desire to prove himself, and to spectacularly exceed the expectations of his peers.
He is generally the same coloration as an ordinary kitsune, but he has a few white parts and streaks, as Jobell took the shape of an arctic fox.
Taking some fluff from the 5e, a sorcerer using magic has the source of the magic take partially over. As such, Lumi's features are twisted slightly when he uses magic heavily.
His magic is themed somewhat - Animals, Weather, and Charm. An example of a 1st level spell I came up with myself: Distracting Bee (mix of Distract and Buzzing Bee from 3.5)
- Aspect of the Nightingale, Commune with Birds, and Rain of Frogs are other example spells I could take later on.
He was born with 2 tails.

My goals for the character:
As we're introducing a new player to the game, I want to:
Have ways to enhance RP-events and;
To let the new player have the spotlight in combat, but not feel bored.

Issues:
#1 I have never played a sorcerer before, so I don't quite know what spells to pick to fulfill my character goals and stay in character - I'm allowed to come up with my own spells and ideas, which we will then review together
#2 I have also never played in a game with so few people - how important are skills in this case? I plan to take Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, and Sleight of hand, a trait to make Diplomacy a class skill. Is this good enough, or should I perhaps take some feats to improve on our skills for out tiny party?

Plan so far:
Focus on Enchantment spells, shape-shifting spells, and spells that either debuff or buff. Perhaps some spells in the Divination school, due to his connection to the spirit world, I'm also a huge fan of spells such as Augury.
Get the Fox Shape feat when I can - I love contingency plans, and shape-shifting is amazing contingency and utility.

Questions:
1st - critique of what I have.
2nd - Inspiration for the continuation of my background.
3rd - Ideas for spell selection, and homebrew spells.
4th - If I wanted an item such as a necklace granting the wearer Cultural Adaption, and a few uses per day of Tongues, how would I calculate the cost of such an item?
5th - In golarion, what are the implications of the tails on a kitsune? How impactful is it to be born with 2, like Lumi has?
6th - Augury is not a sorcerer spell, but is there a way to get access to it without multiclassing?
7th - Multiclass / Presitge class ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help
Runge

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Regarding extra tails - there is a feat "Magical Tail" that allows your kitsune to have an extra tail and providing a benefit (see link).

Other than that, I don't use Golarian, nor read any of the Setting guides specifc to Tian Xia. I do develop the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG) as an imprint under Rite Publishing. Kitsune work differently in Kaidan - you gain an extra tail every 100 hundred years of life, so you can have multiple tails that provide multiple benefits, but no kitsune in Kaidan is born with more than 1 tail at the start of their life. Our players guide to the Kaidan setting is still in development, so this information isn't readily available yet - so probably not helpful for you. My setting is bulit to cleave closely to Japanese folklore (far closer than Golarian, or any other published setting).

Remove ads