• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lvl 7 Sorcerer build advice

kalle

First Post
Hejsan,
I just got my hands on a PHII and am currently converting my lvl 7 human warlock to a sorcerer (wild magic). Any advice on powers, feats and desirable items would be greatly appreciated :).
cheers
Karl

talarei07

First Post
used the auto build on the character builder and got these suggestions:

At-will Powers: chaos bolt [phb 2], Acid orb [phb 2], lightning strike [ap]

Encounter: mists of disarray [lvl 1 ap], essence prism [lvl 3 ap], chaos storm [lvl 7 phb 2]

Daily: blinding bolt [lvl 1 ap], serpentine blast [lvl 5 phb 2]

Utility: spatial trip [lvl 2 ap], swift escape [lvl 6 phb 2]

dont really know how well it works cause i have never and probably will never play sorcerors

Thanee

First Post
I have recently started a thread about sorcerer feats, which might be helpful for you. :)

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-4th-edition-rules/259954-sorcerer-feat-choices.html

Human is definitely a good race for a Sorcerer.

At-Will:
Chaos Bolt is pretty much a must-have for a Wild Magic Sorcerer.
Burning Spray is another must-have (3x3 area), though Blazing Starfall can also work.
If you choose Blazing Starfall, you probably want Storm Walk as your extra, otherwise I would probably go with Dragonfrost.

Encounter/Daily:
Lots of good choices here, I would try to focus on attacks that affect an area.

Bye
Thanee

Eldorian

First Post
How long are you planning on playing this dude? Into paragon? Demonskin Adapt is probably the best paragon path for Wild Sorcerer. Arcane Reach is probably the first feat you'll want at 11.

Definitely take burning spray as an aoe at will, I'd say burning spray, chaos orb, and one of the ranged basic attack at wills. Then, I'd focus on close type attacks for encounters, and wierd stuff for dailies. Flame Spiral and Bedeviling Burst are two of my favorites.

Go for the two weapon defense feat, gives you some AC. Oh, and leather armor prof. Consider multiclassing rogue for thievery and 2d6 more damage once an encounter. Nimble blade is a good feat too, especially if you can get CA a lot. My Wild Mage is Drow, so he can use his darkness to get CA, and our warlord charges things a lot, and has a feat that gives his allies CA on targets of his charges.

Have you considered Hybrid sorcerer/rogue? It's pretty cool, mine is a level 14 Drow hybrid sorcerer rogue. Been playing since 4e was released hehe.

I'm playing a level 8 human wild sorcerer.

Feats include, if I recall correctly: Melee Training (Cha to melee attacks instead of Str), the one that gives +1 damage for thunder and lightning, the one that gives +1 to attack after hitting with an at-will, Human Perseverance, bard multiclass for a bit of healing and a skill, and Eberron's Mark of Storms.

I focus on striking with a bit of control, since Mark of Storms lets me move people around with most of my attacks.

Chaos Bolt, Burning Spray, Storm Walk (very useful with Mark of Storms!)

Thunder Slam, Swirling Stars (cold and thunder damage), Spark Form

Howling Tempest, Thunder Leap

Dragonflame Mantle, the 6th level flying utility

Magic items are a +2 retribution dagger, +1 bloodthread armor, some random +2 necklace.

I trained in Acrobatics and Athletics, and I spent most combats running around, jumping to high ground, and so on. A typical turn is to stormwalk so I can shift, hit a foe and slide him, then run and jump to safety.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
At-Will powers:

Chaos Bolt: great power for you. Single-target (but may bounce), range 10. IMHO, this means you don't need any other single-target, range 10 powers. So I'm going to ignore all of the rest of those.

Blazing Starfall: 3x3 radiant damage. Low damage die, but who cares, you're a Sorcerer and you add lots of damage on top. Also, radiant damage. Oooo yeah.

Acid Orb: range 20, basic attack. It's your Magic Missile. Do you have a Bard in your party? Do you have an Archery Ranger? If you have either, this might be a good choice.

Burning Spray: 3x3 close blast. Do you expect to be in melee range very often? Does your DM allow White Lotus Riposte (from Dragon magazine)? If either, this is a great choice.

- - -

Encounter powers:
These could be used to consolidate your role (e.g. close blasts for melee-range dude), or to compensate for gaps in your at-will powers (e.g. taking area bursts if you don't have Blazing Starfall).

Level 1:
Tempest Breath, Thundering Roar: 3x3 close blast powers, both are decent, don't take either if you have Burning Spray.
Pinning Bolt, Explosive Pyre: single-target with some nice control. I like both.
Ray of the Moon: single-target with poor control, unless you have a Fighter in the party -- then it becomes good.
Bedeviling Burst, Mists of Disarray: these look like they'd play quite similarly. Not great control, but nice area Psychic damage.

Level 3:
Essence Prism: Ooooo yeah!
Swirling Stars: Two damage types in an area burst. Tolerable.
Thundering Gust: Decent as a "get away from me!" power.
Dancing Lightning: Nice to kill minions screening a controller.
Flame Spiral: VERY nice targeting, VERY nice to kill minions swarming you.
Spectral Claw: Single target, good control.

Level 7:
Chaos Ray: Situational, but can be hilariously good.
Spark Form: Mobility power with an attack glued on. Good.
Chaos Storm: Meh.
Thunder Bomb: Area damage, but only good control vs. one of the targets.

Daily powers:

Level 1:
Dazzling Ray: ZOMG awesome.
Howling Tempest: movable damage zone? Not bad at all.
Shocking Magnetism: you get an aura of kill minions. Nice.
Cosmos Call: are you playing Wild Magic because you love unpredictable effects?
Chromatic Orb: as above, but even more random.

Level 5:
Slaad's Gambit: Nice way to negate a crit AND give a monster the finger.
Glacial Armor: Do you plan to suffer many melee attacks?
Reeling Torment: Could be nice.
Moon and Stars: Great if you have a Fighter in the party; otherwise situational.

Cheers, -- N

kalle

First Post
Thanks for all the input. I am currently leaning towards the following:

@will
Burning Spray
Chaos bolt

Encounter
Explosive pyre
Flame Spiral
Chaos Ray

Daily
Dazzling Ray

Utility
Elemental shift
Swift Escape (for this one, do you take the dmg and then teleport or do you teleport before dmg is dealt?)

That leaves one @will (since human) and one lvl 5 daily power. Since many of the powers I have above are single target powers I was thinking of adding some area powers. Currenlty I am thinking Blazing Starfall and Suns Illumination (though I think the Acid Orb would be quite useful as well). Any ideas?

With regards to feats they currenlty include Action surge, Armour Proficiency Leather, Arcane Spellfury (an additional +4 sounds comforting when unleashing that crucial daily power after an action point), Wepaon Focus, Distant Advantage.

I haven't thought about multiclassing at this point. My dex is rather lame (15) but I must admit that the Rogue/Sorcerer build sounds interesting.

With regards to items I have the equivalent of a Lvl 10 +2 implement and a Lvl 5 +1 leather armour and Gautlets of Fire to account for. I was thinking of suggesting the Tooth of Chaos dagger (lvl 9) and something like Deathcut Armour +1 ... thoughts?

cheers
Karl

LamilLerran

First Post
That leaves one @will (since human) and one lvl 5 daily power. Since many of the powers I have above are single target powers I was thinking of adding some area powers. Currenlty I am thinking Blazing Starfall and Suns Illumination (though I think the Acid Orb would be quite useful as well). Any ideas?

You're only going to use Acid Orb over Chaos Bolt in one of four situations:
1) The target's Ref is so much lower than its Will that it's worth giving up a ~30% chance of hitting at least two targets (That percent assumes you hit on a 10 or higher). You also need to know that the target's Ref is much lower than its Will, which may not come up depending on the DM and game style.
2) You want to hit a target 11-20 squares away from you. Most ranged attacks need to be within 10, and many need to be within 5, so in most cases this won't come up as 10 squares is already behind the rest of the party. But in certain campaigns, this could be useful.
3) You get granted a free basic attack (or are granted a bonus to your basic attacks). If you don't have acid orb that attack is wasted. However, for most parties, this won't come up much if at all (You can make it come up with itemization -- with, say, Eagle Eye Goggles or an Impaling Dagger. The latter is a bit cheesy.).
4) You are fighting something Psychic resistant (a rare resistance).

You will use Blazing Starfall over your other At-Wills in one of two situations:
1) You are fighting undead.
2) You want to make an AoE attack without getting close to your enemies.

Personally, I think the situations where you want to use Blazing Starfall come up much more than the situations where you want to use Acid Orb, but it definitely depends on your campaign. And if you're not interested in Blazing Starfall, you can itemize to make Acid Orb be better than Chaos Bolt in certain situations (but probably still worse in generic combat).

Remove ads