Lycanthropy

Rechan

Adventurer
I'm saying good depends upon one's desire for use.
Which is what I was saying above. The implication though that I got what you were saying was "Good=alignment", not implication. At least your initial post.

True lycanthropes would have to be a starting race in D&D to account for the change in power level.
Or class choice, or power choice. 4e's philosophy is effect based, and that effect can be reached through multiple sources.

ki11erDM

Explorer
Good to me means the players are scared of the big bad wolf. Right now the werewolf is just another monster. That is not acceptable for what is about to happen in my campaign.

It does not have to be save or turn into a WW but something more than it is now.

Rechan

Adventurer
Good to me means the players are scared of the big bad wolf.
In my experience, stats don't create fear. The DM creates fear. You want a memorable Werewolf adventure or encounter. So, let's play with that.

If werewolves are somewhat rare, then the mere presence of the werewolf in the community or area is causing problems; animals are acting more savage. Humanoids are acting on their baser, dark drives and desires (the greedy man robs people for his money, the covetous man takes his neighbor's wife). The werewolf brings a supernatural air of fear with its sheep-like prey, that know the wolf is among them; the villagers are growing paranoid, and they start pointing fingers at their neighbors, whipping up into a torch-and-pitchfork mob at the least provocation.

But let's now turn to the stats. Let's make something that is more "Werewolf" than the current stats. I'm going to assume that "The Big Bad Wolf" in this sense is a solo monster, rather than a bunch of werewolves.

Werewolves are fearsome. Frightening Presence (encounter power, attack vs. will; stun until the end of the werewolf's next turn; after-effect, -2 to attacks (save ends)). Although a Stun is rather harsh; the Presence might just daze. Alternatively, pick one effect: an aura that causes -2 to attacks, or an encounter howling burst that dazes/stuns.

Werewolves are sneaky. In the sense that you never really see them until they're right on top of you, bursting through a window or whathaveyou. So, perhaps an ability that allows it to avoid detection until it's right on top of the PCs.

Werewolves never quite die the first time. Much like a troll must be killed by an attack that deals fire or acid, if a werewolf is not killed by an attack with a silver weapon, it stands up at the beginning of its next turn with ten hit points. (Alternatively, allow it to make a bite attack when reduced to 0 HP).

Finally, an encounter with a Big Bad Werewolf should not be a slug fest. It should not be "Everybody surround the werewolf and wail on it". It should be a panicked situation, possibly in the middle of a storm on a narrow platform, with buffeting winds, or in a tower that's on fire, or in the vicinity of lots of children who are shrieking and running around in the way of the PCs. Perhaps some place where the Wolf can dart away, only to double back and attack the PCs from the other side.

Last edited:

Remove ads