M&M - Chosen (Recruiting Closed)

Shalimar

First Post
I was wondering if you would consider a house rule proposed by Steve Kenson regarding the Rage feat. Specifically the 1st rank of Rage being excempt from the PL Caps.

I think the feat would be flavorful for Overdrive but I don't want to constantly use it.

He probably doesn't need it considering all the other powers he has going for him: Pheromones, Impervious Toughness 10, Enhanced Dexterity, Self-Healing, Flight (Hoverboard). With the Impervious toughness 10 losing the -2 to defense is fairly meaning less. To even hurt him someone would have to be thowing around PL 10+ attacks which would be pretty killer to everyone else.

A Passing Maniac

First Post
I think I am going to have to withdraw my application. The game sounds like it's going to be great, but, even ignoring some issues in my offline life, I just can't seem to create a character that really clicks for me, either in mechanics or in fluff. I wish you all luck with the game, though!

Walking Dad

First Post
Okay, here's a sample to get things rolling, but mechanically speaking this is a complicated concept, and I could really use some input. What I have is a pair of supersenses that work by touch to sense either a genetic pattern or the material composition of the target. Once the target has been "scanned," the character can mimic it's properties, using a Shapeshifting or Object Mimic pool...

ShapeShift +3 (Only to acquire traits from 'scanned' individuals) 21pp
Object Mimicry +4 24pp

Why so complicated? You can just use Shapeshift to 'mimic' Alternate form:

ShapeShift +6 (Only to acquire traits from 'scanned' individuals and materials) 42pp

3pp unspent

Jemal

Adventurer
She scans a pigeon. Then later on she scans a reporter. She can then become that reporter (via Morph purchased with Shapeshifting), and still grow pigeon wings as well...because she scanned the pigeon traits earlier. And then, when using this winged reporter form, she could touch the sidewalk and become concrete as well...

Shapeshift/object mimicry seems like a way to do this, but are there better ones? I was looking at using the Mimic power, for example, but I'm not sure it's legal, or would do what I'm looking for. It may also be that what I'm looking for is too broad, or too vague to be useful.
Hmm, the problem is that it then becomes exponential. The ability to turn your skin into metal (wood/stone/etc) is powerful. The ability to shift into an animal and use it's 'powers' (Flight, speed, blending in, attack, etc) is powerful. The ability to turn into any person(Disguises) is powerful. The ability to do all of them at the Same Time AND combine them? Too powerful. I'd be fine with you able to turn into anything you'd touched (Hmm.. sounds like animorphs with objects added on), but combining traits like that is a bit too much.

What I DO suggest is taking the Shapeshift Power with Limit : Requires you to have 'sampled' the creature you want to turn into, and take equal ranks of Object Mimcry as an Alternate Power. Then you could turn into any object/creature/person you've 'sampled', but not into a winged, metal martial-arts master with tiger-claws.

Also, why all the regen? (And to ressurection, I just say "no, thnx".)

Maniac -
Sorry to hear that.

Relique -
Only problem: You haven't noted what senses your Illusions affect.

H4H -
The rage seems OK, provided you just take the 1 rank. I must say though, nothng I read made me think of him as Impervious(The powers are described as ignoring pain, which doesn't seem to lend itself to 'impervious'). I'm not sure if I like that on a toughness-traded character with regen anyways - as I believe I stated somewhere else in this thread, I'd prefer not to have any 'invincible-man' characters.

Also, could I get a little more info on your Involuntary Transformation drawback?

Shalimar -
looks good.

Shaggy -
You seem to have misunderstood me, I said you could take the normal identity if you DIDN'T make Excalibur a device. If it's a device, then normal identity is not a drawback, as loosing the sword would loose many powers anyways.
It also means that anybody can use the sword, and there's nothing really special about your character other than he found this nifty magical sword.
What I was suggesting was that Arthur actually HAS all of the abilities, and then you take the normal identity drawback to LINK them to the sword, making it a 'focus' instead of a device. Now, I'm not saying you can't use it as a device, but if you do then loosing it can't be a drawback. (As stated before, and in the book, that's allready a part of the Device's reduced cost).
I'd be ok with it being a low-rank device (Just strike, for example), as long as you took the majority of the powers

Other issues:
Just making sure you know that using Block or the Deflect power is a standard action, thus you can't attack if you use it.
For Autofire I'm going to need to know WHICH 2 ranks you took: interval of 1, max +5(or half normal bonus) OR interval of 2, max +10(or normal bonus)

Bialaska -
Looks good, just two things
First : 10 ranks of super strength is... a lot. with a 32 strength, that puts your lifting strength at 82, which seems a bit much for now. (Also, your load limit suggest a carrying capacity of 90, which is erroneous).
Second : I'd prefer if you didn't max-out both trade-offs. Perhaps if you could reduce one of them to a 2-point, instead of both being 3?

WalkingDad - Why do you only have a single rank of blast as your AP?

Mal Malenkirk - Haven't heard anything new, you still interested?

Allright.. from what I've seen, here's an updated list

ShaggySpellsword - King Arthur(Nuff Said)
Hero4Hire - Overdrive (Self-Adrenal Boosts)
Bialaska - Daisy-Lyn (Metal girl)
Rellique - Edgar (Artist)
Shayuri - Facade (Shape-shifter)
Shalimar - Carly Pope (Reflex Memory)
WalkingDad - Iceman(Cold Control)
Mal Malenkirk - Jean Van Den Abel(Telekinetic)

A couple Notes:
1 - Depending on responses to this post I'll pick the final few characters by the weekend.
2 - Please include what trade-offs your character has somewhere easy to see, for simplicity of calculations.

Shayuri

First Post
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :)

Jemal in particular, that was very helpful. In fact, I'm even considering just dropping the Object Mimicry to narrow the concept a bit. Shapeshift, even with a limit, would still allow some "hybridization" if I interpret it correctly. The Shapeshift points could be allocated to traits from different creatures at the same time, as long they were all sampled. Of course, once I stopped maintaining the power, or overwrote something with something else, I'd have to scan again to get it back.

I like the idea that she has an incentive to seek out good genetic traits. Since Shapeshift is sustained, every time she sleeps, the pool resets. So she has to keep going out and acquiring abilities from other creatures.

Does this sound accurate to you, or do you see it working differently?

At this point I just want to make sure I understand what to expect going in. I think mechanically, your suggestion is an excellent solution. :)

Edit - oops, missed the regeneration comment. I've always associated regeneration with shapeshifting. For someone who can control their body to the point that they can change their organs, their bones, their physical structure, it seems like closing a wound would be pretty easy. That said, if it's a sticking point I'm not married to the idea. :) Let me know what's acceptable...what if the regeneration were tied to shapeshifting somehow? Or maybe it worked more like Healing for the self only? That is, it requires conscious effort to heal, and falling unconscious is therefore more dangerous? Just kicking ideas around.

Last edited:

Bialaska

First Post
Bialaska -
Looks good, just two things
First : 10 ranks of super strength is... a lot. with a 32 strength, that puts your lifting strength at 82, which seems a bit much for now. (Also, your load limit suggest a carrying capacity of 90, which is erroneous).
Second : I'd prefer if you didn't max-out both trade-offs. Perhaps if you could reduce one of them to a 2-point, instead of both being 3?

Well 10 ranks Super-Strength from the power plus 2 ranks of Super-Strength from Density. Hence 12 x 5 = 60 str for carrying capacity plus the 32 ordinary strength. I just took the nearby 90, rather than start calculating 92.

The reason I went for maximum trade off in both is because I just don't see her in any way as a competent warrior, but instead she's brute force and durability. Her total Defense+Toughness is 11 and her total To hit+Damage is +11, since she has no attack bonus and no defense bonus at all, being an ordinary untrained human. Was hoping the higher damage and toughness would be able to prevent me from going down in first combat.

And I can reduce both the damage and Super-Strength. Is 4 Super-Strength (and 2 SS from Density, for a total of 6 SS) acceptable? For a total lifting strength of 60, which is 50 tons in heavy lifting. Should I also reduce Immovability accordingly?

hero4hire

Explorer
H4H -
The rage seems OK, provided you just take the 1 rank. I must say though, nothng I read made me think of him as Impervious(The powers are described as ignoring pain, which doesn't seem to lend itself to 'impervious'). I'm not sure if I like that on a toughness-traded character with regen anyways - as I believe I stated somewhere else in this thread, I'd prefer not to have any 'invincible-man' characters.

Also, could I get a little more info on your Involuntary Transformation drawback?

Subtle Impervious is to represent Immunity to Pain and Damage that would otherwise knock someone out. The sfx is he is actually being damaged but ignoring it. But 10 is fairly high for the concept. 5 work?

He needs to switch his array and take an Full Round Action to Heal so he isn't getting free Recovery checks like most regenerating characters.

He has 20 rounds of superhuman prowess before becoming fatigued and "relatively" wussy. That should be good for most fights sure but he has to be pissed off sufficiently (GM's call) to get the Adrenal Surge due to his Emotional Flaw to begin with.

Involuntary Transform represents him occasionally being at the mercy of his Adrenal Rush turning into a Hulk Like Rage. In this state he basically can become an NPC, cause massive property damage, attack allies..."Odie smash!"

So basically yeah he is a powerful melee guy which the GM has many ways to control just when he gets to be unleashed or take control of him during a fight.

Let me know if this is reasonable or if it is still too much. I would be happy to tweak him until we are both happy.

Last edited:

hero4hire

Explorer
He probably doesn't need it considering all the other powers he has going for him: Pheromones, Impervious Toughness 10, Enhanced Dexterity, Self-Healing, Flight (Hoverboard). With the Impervious toughness 10 losing the -2 to defense is fairly meaning less. To even hurt him someone would have to be thowing around PL 10+ attacks which would be pretty killer to everyone else.

Eh..With Power Attack those +10 damage attacks have little chance of hitting others and nailing OD. (A pretty common tactic).

Also a few ranks of Penetrating trumps many ranks of Impervious.

BUT as I said 10 is high for my concept and the 1st sheet was "very rough"

Remove ads