M&M - Chosen (Recruiting Closed)

Shalimar

First Post
Right now Carly has a reflex memory pool of 35 pp to play with, and an equipment pool of 25 ep, below is wha she generally has allocated.

Carly's equipment: 25/25
Undercover Shirt (Protection +2, Subtle) [2 EP]
Pepper Spray (Stun +6, Dazzle +6) [18 EP]
Stun Gun (Stun +6) [1 EP as AP of Pepper Spray]
Asp (Quarter Staff: Strike +4, Subtle) [1 EP as AP]
Cellphone [1 EP]
Laptop [1 EP]

Reflex Memory: 30/35
Feats:
Martial Strike 2 (Adds 2 to the damage Carly deals in melee)
Attack Focus Melee 6
Dodge Focus 5
Evasion 1
Sneak Attack 1
Hide In Plain Sight 1
Defensive Attack
All out Attack
Power Attack
Instant up
Improved Initiative 1

Skills:
Acrobatics +12, Stealth +12, Perform Keyboard +12

The above is a mix of Ninjutsu, Karate, and Fencing that Carly has picked up from a movie marathon that some of her friends dragged her to, she isn't conscious of actually having acquired the fighting skills yet since it hasn't come up. She does know about the Perform key board since it was the first thing she consciously used her power to do.

Jemal

Adventurer
Mal - Ah, that's too bad. If you get more time in the future, feel free to drop in and If I have a spot I'll work you in. :)

Shalimar - Looks pretty good so far. Ordinarily, I'd be following the suggested ruling that reflex memory only works 'in person', but I'll allow this marathon thing as a special case so that your character doesn't start the game with nothing.
Also, the way you word the Equipment seems as though you're looking at it like a shifting pool, but they can't be just interchanged, once you pick your equipment it stays until you actively do something to change it (Like buy/sell more/spend more points on EP).
And finally, why do you have the quarterstaff listed as a 1 point AP? AP of what?

H4H - To me, Impervious means you don't GET hurt, not that you don't register the hurt. Tha's enough for a high toughness save, but not impervious. The best example I can think of is: WHY would a bullet to the head not injure your character? What about his power makes him immune to "knife in the eye", as someone with even Impervious 1 is immune to normal knives?

Bialaska - I would HIGHLY suggest not taking such a hit to your combat stats. I didn't want everybody to be highly trained martial artists, but neither do I want you to be innefective. I'd suggest at least adding Accurate onto an attack (Or taking Attack Specialization: melee) just to indicate that the power and speed of your blows makes them not-so-easy to dodge.
Also, Removing a few ranks of that Strength would, indeed, be nice. (I have no problem with your super-strength increasing after play begins, just trying to keep the 'starting levels' in check.) Immovable I have no problem with.

Shayuri - Allright, I understand the regeneration, it does make sense for a shifter, but I'd prefer if the 'levels' of regeneration were toned down a bit.
As for the shifting, The way I was proposing was actually that you took some sort of touch-based super sense that lets you 'scan' the genetic make-up of any creature you touch (Say a standard action requiring an attack roll if the target is actively unwilling/hostile), and then you can 'store' that genetic make-up. THEN with your shape-shift, you can use your points to take on the traits of any creature you've 'scanned and stored'. Since the limit is based off your super-sense, it wouldn't reset every day, meaning you WOULD get more powerful with each passing day, but if you just take shapeshift and drop the object mimicry as you suggested, that wouldn't be too bad.
How's that sound?

Allright, Roster so far:
ShaggySpellsword - King Arthur(Nuff Said)
Hero4Hire - Overdrive (Self-Adrenal Boosts)
Bialaska - Daisy-Lyn (Metal girl)
Rellique - Edgar (Artist)
Shayuri - Facade (Shape-shifter)
Shalimar - Carly Pope (Reflex Memory)
WalkingDad - Iceman(Cold Control)

I think with the drop-outs I'm gonna just go with everyone who's left unless some serious problems come up, so could everyone post a copy of your most-recently-revised character to the new Character Thread ASAP for me to look them over again?

Last edited:

hero4hire

Explorer
H4H - To me, Impervious means you don't GET hurt, not that you don't register the hurt. Tha's enough for a high toughness save, but not impervious. The best example I can think of is: WHY would a bullet to the head not injure your character? What about his power makes him immune to "knife in the eye", as someone with even Impervious 1 is immune to normal knives?

No prob I will drop the Impervious altogether. :)

But to answer the question the bullet does 'injure' the character at least it appears to but he keeps on going. The bullet penetrates, blood splatters. But mechanically it does not effect him. Using the abstractness of the M&M injury system he was not injured but to all observed he was and maybe should be dead. That is why it was subtle. Kind of a super-version of someone on PCP. Criticals (a bullet to the head and a knife to an eye) might just effect him. At least that was the kewl sfx I was trying to emulate.

Shalimar

First Post
Shalimar - Looks pretty good so far. Ordinarily, I'd be following the suggested ruling that reflex memory only works 'in person', but I'll allow this marathon thing as a special case so that your character doesn't start the game with nothing.

Also, the way you word the Equipment seems as though you're looking at it like a shifting pool, but they can't be just interchanged, once you pick your equipment it stays until you actively do something to change it (Like buy/sell more/spend more points on EP).
And finally, why do you have the quarterstaff listed as a 1 point AP? AP of what?

Er, ok thats very limiting compared to shapeshift. I'm paying 8pp/rank to only be able to pick up skills and feats that I see people actually use whereas shapeshift costs the same amount and lets you do powers, feats, skills, and attributes at whim.

My mistake on the equipment, I thought it gave you a pool of equipment that you could fill out however you wanted whenever you got back to base. Was that maybe a rule from 1E or somethig? I'll stick with what I have though even if it can't be changed out.

As far as the staff, equipment can be aps of other equipment. The staff is an ap of the pepper spray as well.

hero4hire

Explorer
Took away Impervious added low-level Super-Speed.
Added 1 rank of Rage. Shifted saves to stay within PL caps for Fort.

"----------Character Details---------
Player Name: H4H
Character Name:
Character Alias: Overdrive
GM's Name: Jemal
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 145
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green
Power Level: 8
Power Points: 120
Appearance:
350911370_418414084f.jpg

--------------------------------------

----------Background---------
Oliver; or "Odie" to his friends, was the son of the rich industrialist Donald Danvers. For the past few weeks Odie had been constantly getting into trouble and was expelled from his boarding school due to his rebellious and aggressive behavior. Little did anyone know this was due to the radical hormonal changes his body was undergoing. Odie realized something was strange very recently after he nearly crippled the whole Offensive Line of the Football Team in his last school. He discovered that in times of stress or danger he experienced what he called "The Rush" and his body's flight or fight response kicked into overdrive. Soon after the incident he was sent to his father for punishment. There his father was busy working on developing of Plasmagnetic Levitation for the government. His first prototype was considered a failure as test subjects who attempted to use the Floating Board found it too difficult to use and often crashed out of control and ordered the prototype to be destroyed. Curious, Odie "rescued" the prototype and found the movements needed to control the device to be extremely similiar to those needed while skating. He then affixed normal skateboard wheels to the Board so no one would ask questions when he carried it around.

----------Ability Scores---------
Strength: 30/10 (+10/0)
Dexterity: 24 (+7/+2)
Constitution: 30/10 (+10/0)
Intelligence: 10 (0)
Wisdom: 10 (0)
Charisma: 10 (0)

----------Saves---------
Toughness: +10/0
Fortitude: +11/1
Reflex: +13
Willpower: +7

----------Combat---------
Attack Bonus: +6 (melee), +3 (ranged)
Damage Bonus: Unarmed +10/0
Grapple: +16
Defense Bonus: +6 (+2 flat footed)
Initiative: +15

----------Lifting Capacity---------
Light Load: 532 lbs
Medium Load: 1064 lbs
Heavy Load: 1600 lbs
Max Load: 1.6 tons
Push/Drag: 4.0 tons

----------Movement Rate---------
Base Speed: 30 ft/r / 60 ft/r / 120 ft/r
Super-Speed: 25mph
Leap: 20 ft / 10 ft / 5 ft
Flight: 100mph

----------Skills---------
  • Acrobatics - 8 (+15)
  • Bluff - 8 (+8)
  • Climb - 5 (+15)
  • Disable Device - 5 (+5)
  • Drive - 3 (+10)
  • Escape Artist - 0 (+7)
  • Intimidate - 5 (+5)
  • Knowledge: Business - 1 (+1)
  • Knowledge: Popular Culture - 4 (+4)
  • Knowledge: Streetwise - 4 (+4)
  • Notice - 5 (+5)
  • Pilot - 1 (+8)
  • Ride - 1 (+8)
  • Search - 5 (+5)
  • Sleight of Hand - 1 (+8)
  • Stealth - 8 (+15)
  • Swim - 0 (+10)

----------Feats---------
  • Acrobatic Bluff: Feint and trick using Acrobatics rather than Bluff
  • All-out Attack: Reduce defense bonus to increase attack bonus
    Attack Focus (Melee) (3): +3 bonus to melee attack rolls
  • Dodge Focus (3): +3 dodge bonus
  • Elusive Target: Double penalties for ranged attacks against you in melee
  • Equipment (1): 5 points worth of equipment
  • Evasion (1): Suffer 1/2 damage from attacks allowing a Reflex save
  • Fast Overrun: Make multiple overrun attempts in a round
  • Fearless: Immunity to fear effects
  • Improved Overrun: +4 bonus on trip checks while overrunning
  • Move-by Action: Move both before and after a standard action
  • Power Attack: Reduce attack bonus to increase damage bonus
  • Rage: +4 Str, +2 Fort, +2 Will, -2 Def
  • Taunt: Demoralize using Bluff rather than Intimidate
  • Uncanny Dodge: Retain your dodge bonus while flat-footed

----------Powers---------
Adrenal Surge {} - Power Rank 20 - Cost 21 (1 * 20 + 1)
Extras: Total Fade
Flaws: Emotional

Alternate Power 1 of Adrenal Surge (20/20)
Healing {} - Power Rank 10 - Cost 20 (2 * 10)
Extras: Total
Flaws: Personal

Enhanced Dexterity {} - Power Rank 10 - Cost 10 (1 * 10)

Immunity (Fatigue Effects, Pain Descriptor) {} - Power Rank 7 - Cost 7 (1 * 7)

Pheremones {} - Power Rank 1 - Cost 4 (4 * 1)

Super-Speed {} - Power Rank 2 - Cost 10 (5 * 2)
Power Feats: Rapid Attack

Suspended Animation {} - Power Rank 2 - Cost 2 (1 * 2)

Device (Hoverboard; Easy to Lose) {} - Power Rank 1 - Cost 4 (3 * 1 + 1)
Power Feats: Restricted (20+ Dex)

Component of Container Device (Hoverboard; Easy to Lose)
Flight {} - Power Rank 4 - Cost 4 (1 * 4)
Flaws: Platform

Component of Container Device (Hoverboard; Easy to Lose)
Feature (Can disguise as a real skateboard) {} - Power Rank 1 - Cost 1 (1 * 1)

----------Drawbacks---------
Involuntary Transform - Points -3
Description: 'Roid Rage - Freq DC 15 - Sev DC 15

----------Cost Summary---------
Abilities: 4
Combat: 12
Saves: 14
Skills: 16
Feats: 19
Powers: 58
Drawbacks: -3
Total Cost: 120

Trade-offs -3 att +3 dmg/-3 def +3 tou
--------------------------------------"

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Shayuri - Allright, I understand the regeneration, it does make sense for a shifter, but I'd prefer if the 'levels' of regeneration were toned down a bit.
As for the shifting, The way I was proposing was actually that you took some sort of touch-based super sense that lets you 'scan' the genetic make-up of any creature you touch (Say a standard action requiring an attack roll if the target is actively unwilling/hostile), and then you can 'store' that genetic make-up. THEN with your shape-shift, you can use your points to take on the traits of any creature you've 'scanned and stored'. Since the limit is based off your super-sense, it wouldn't reset every day, meaning you WOULD get more powerful with each passing day, but if you just take shapeshift and drop the object mimicry as you suggested, that wouldn't be too bad.
How's that sound?

Re: Regeneration - That's fine. I'll tone it down and redirect some of that into saves and combat, so I can try to 'hit' with that scan.

Re: Scan - I think that's how it already works. The "detect" I have doesn't have the Ranged mod, so it's touch only. It's a Detect, which means it requires an action to use (as opposed to a Sense, which I believe does not). So I'd call it Detect Genetic Structure, since that's clearer than Detect DNA. I give it the Acute and Analytic modifiers, which has interesting ramifications...she'd know about genetic disorders, genetic strengths...at the GM's discretion it might let her know about powers and drawbacks that were genetic in origin. In short, it gives her the knowledge to use her shifting power effectively. One idea I was tossing around too was the notion of "cellular telepathy." That would be an ability to interface with the nervous system of someone she's in contact with, and access their thoughts and so on. It'd be a limited form of Telepathy, with a Fort save perhaps instead of a Will save, and range reduced to Touch. Might be too much even so, but I like the visual image of little nerves snaking out of her hand and piercing into the subject to merge with their nervous system. :)

Re: Shifting - I'm not sure I follow your logic. Let me explain how I understand it working, and you can correct me, and then I will understand.

Step 1: Scan. Touch someone and spend standard action to activate sense. This gives me knowledge of their genetic structure, and alerts me as to what traits of theirs I can imitate.

Step 2: Change. I reallocate the points in my Shapeshift pool to accommodate the traits I want. I can freely reduce existing traits, or remove them, but I cannot add traits unless they're from something I just scanned. Traits added are limited by my Shapeshift rank, or by the rank of the scanned creature, whichever is lowest.

Now, I thought that Shapeshift's pool would reset (that is, I'd lose the scanned traits currently in it) when I couldn't maintain the power anymore. Buying it with the Continuous duration modifier would stop that from happening.

Now...what are you suggesting, with that in mind?

Edit - To Shalimar: My Shapeshift is going to have the limit: Only scanned genetic traits. So I can't do skills or anything like that. Intentionally trying to keep clear of your stomping ground. :)

Edit - To Jemal: I had the weirdest thought the other night. If I buy a rank of that power that lets you detach body parts, would the detached part still have Facade's powers? Like, could she break off her hand, have it change into, say...a hummingbird...and fly off to snoop around? If a detached part scanned something, would that count for Facade too, or just the part?

Hee hee

Last edited:

Bialaska

First Post
Bialaska - I would HIGHLY suggest not taking such a hit to your combat stats. I didn't want everybody to be highly trained martial artists, but neither do I want you to be innefective. I'd suggest at least adding Accurate onto an attack (Or taking Attack Specialization: melee) just to indicate that the power and speed of your blows makes them not-so-easy to dodge.
Also, Removing a few ranks of that Strength would, indeed, be nice. (I have no problem with your super-strength increasing after play begins, just trying to keep the 'starting levels' in check.) Immovable I have no problem with.

Character revised. Made all Enhanced Strength into Density, which cut out one power. Super-Strength and Immovability are kinda linked in my simple mind, so they are both now only 6 in total (3 from Density, 3 from the power). Changed the Will Save to Mind Shield. Added a Shield power to represent how she can swap away attacks with her arms without having to worry about damage. I think that was the major changes.

Remove ads