M4: Under the Volcano [Nimisgod judging] -CONCLUDED

Manzanita

First Post
Leaving the hard-working ants, and their weird ant-bridge behind, the party heads back the way they came, turning left at their first opportunity. They travel about 100 feet down this rough corridor without incident. As they walk, the earth shakes again, and a distant roar is heard. The party can feel some dust in the air as the tunnel quivers.

Razh can feel the tunnel slope up somewhat as they walk, and soon he sees that there are three long, 'hairy' roots dangling into the passage, from the ceiling to the floor. It is impossible to proceed w/o touching a dangling root. They seem to be tree roots.

Velmont

First Post
"We are coming closer from the surface... I hope it doesn't go directly into a trap." whispers Rinaldo, trying to get rid of a root that is dangling in his face.

[SBLOCK=Crude Map]
Code:
       Ants   Trees
         \     /
          \   /
           \ /
            |
            |
            |
            |
Light ------X------
            |
            |
            |
            |
[/SBLOCK]

jkason

First Post
Eanos, human monk

"I see why they didn't bother keeping us bound," Eanos says. "Every tunnel out of here seems in some way obstructed." He tries to keep his ears open and his fists ready even Rinaldo chooses to touch the roots.

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]Hmmm... we didn,t enter the are where the roots are dangling? If we didn't, i doubt Rinaldo will go there like that. It would need Razh to lead him there, as he cannot see anything anyway. I was thinking we were already walking though it, but jkason post make me doubt... (and make me feel paranoid too, now I see constricting plant everywhere! I have to get rid of the flower decorating my shelves... ;) )[/SBLOCK]

rln

Explorer
"It's probably just normal roots. We've been going upwards, so we must be close to the surface. Perhaps we can dig through to the surface if we're lucky? Razh, buddy, lift me up and I'll check the ceiling."

Ogrin checks if the ceiling is dirt or rocks. If the ceiling seems impossible to breach, he then asks Razh to keep an eye on him while he forces his way through the roots. "Better that I get stuck than you."

If it succeeds, without the roots entangling him (or worse), Ogrin will try to tear down one of the roots. Perhaps it can be useful in the future.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Escape artist to push through: 18
Strength check to tear down a root: 8

Look like's he's going to need a hand with tearing one down at least...

Fun-O-meter value: 1[/SBLOCK]

Manzanita

First Post
The roots quiver a bit, but don't display any dangerous properties. They are just roots. They are thick and tough. Ogrin realizes he'll need something sharp and hard to cut them. I don't believe the party has accumulated such an item yet. If the party could convince the ants to part with their sharp stone or spike, that could probably cut the roots.

Ogrin also realizes he has no hope of digging a way out of the ceiling. It is tough dirt, root, and stone. The party is able to walk through the roots and continue down the passage.

fun-o-meter [sblock]Are you not having fun, rln? Sorry. This adventure was one of the high points of my DnD early years when I went through it as a player 20 years ago. Hopefully you'll get into the swing of it soon.[/sblock]

rln

Explorer
Ogrin suggest the party continues down the tunnel.

[SBLOCK=Fun-o-meter]Anyone that thinks it's fun to run around almost naked with 7 other men in a pitch-black cavern ought to have their heads examined :)

On a more serious note, it just feels like the tempo in the game went down quite dramatically once we were thrown down here. 6 out of 7 characters are quite worthless in any critical situation due to not seeing anything in the dark, which means noone wants to take a risk. It'll pick up eventually, I'm sure.[/SBLOCK]

Velmont

First Post
"I agree, let's get out of here as soon as possible." Rinaldo continue to follow Razh.

[SBLOCK=OOC]It's true I feel very vulnerable and I am less daredevil like that... with only Razh seeing and only Eanos armed (happy fist), and knowing that there is all kind of enemy around, it is easy to feel paranoid. But I think for teh smae reason, it make it some interesting challenge. I wonder if all the items we took up yet will really serve us.

Fun-o-meter: 3.5 / 5[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads