• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mac Users Identify Yourselves!

Hello everyone,

A very long time Mac-user when it was called Apple/Apple II, Brother is a genius with computers and worked at computer Stores and brought home an Apple and assembled the Apple for the Family. I would just like to say hello and would like to stay away from all the debates that are going on on this forum and let's stick to the plan.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Well I was never a "mac user" so to speak. My main computer is still a Windows machine, but I love fooling around with OS's. Anyway the G4 was old and getting slow, it was having trouble playing some video files and stuff, and I had most of the parts of my old windows machine, an Athlon XP 1.8Ghz CPU with memory and a motherboard just laying around. So I decided to take the DVD drive and the hard drives out of the Mac and put them in an old case with that stuff and put Linux on it. If the Mac had been faster I may have stayed with it, but I probably would have put Ubuntu PowerPC version on it then anyway, or maybe dual booted. OSX is cool, but I just wanted to try something else.

What kind of sucks is I had just bought a flashed AGP video card to replace the old Rage 128 card in the mac. Oh well, it was only 40 bucks.

Ubuntu 6.06 is excellent but you may have to edit a few config files to get everything working properly. I only had to tweak 2 files though, and I don't mind working from the command line. It detected all my hardware fine, but video drivers can be tricky. If you like getting into the heart of a system its fun though.

Mycanid

First Post
Sigh ... I am an old time mac fan who was forced to go into the pc world because the office I manage uses a single program that is only windows based (believe it or not).

We had a Mac IIfx that worked for 12 years without a HITCH! And it worked very well ... long story what it did, but it was bulletproof.

greymist

Lurker Extraordinaire
buzz said:
Welcome to the cult, greymist. :)

How has it been so far?
I have to admit, it just worked! I plugged it in, turned it on, and I could surf the web!

I did have one problem which took me a couple of weeks to figure out, that was getting the wireless to connect to my network instead of my neighbour's. I forgot that I had my D-Link router running in accelerated mode, not standard 802.11b, once I put it into standard mode, the iMac stayed connected to the network without a problem.

I don't know enough about the Mac too really play around with it, but I have installed Firefox and I use it daily for surfing and e-mail. I am planning on finding a course that will give me some background knowledge, but if I have to, I will just buy a book. I haven't had the time to play around with iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD yet, even though that was the reason for buying the Mac. Soon, I hope!

ssampier

First Post
Holy thread resurrection, batman

I haven't yet took the Mac plunge. I'm not adverse, I'm actually considering a Mac Mini (MacMini or MiniMac). My concerns is that the machine will run slow; I'd probably do web surfing and content creation (such as amateur video editing, garage band, and maybe web editing).

By the way, I use Linux at work, I can do most things on the command line and compile software. How different is the UNIX underpinnings compared to Linux?

In any case, I'll wait until the next OSX is released.

Remove ads