• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mac Users Identify Yourselves!

Aeolius

Adventurer
ssampier said:
...I'm actually considering a Mac Mini (MacMini or MiniMac). My concerns is that the machine will run slow; I'd probably do web surfing and content creation (such as amateur video editing, garage band, and maybe web editing).

You might want to wait a few weeks, until WWDC07 , to see what Apple has up its sleeve. I have a Mac Mini that I bought to test a few ideas. I have it hooked up to a TV, to use as a DVD player, but the video isn't the best for playback. Next, I'll hook it up to a touchscreen panel, for use in home automation.

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
ssampier said:
By the way, I use Linux at work, I can do most things on the command line and compile software. How different is the UNIX underpinnings compared to Linux?
My 'nix experience is all FreeBSD, and I'd say that the BSD underpinnings of MacOS X are mostly identical. Your Linux expertise will port over easily. X11 comes built-in as well.

Bad Paper

First Post
ssampier said:
considering a Mac Mini
I would not bother. As I post this, it has been almost nine months since the Mini was updated. This is essentially a death knell for an Apple product. The mini will soon go the way of the cube. Speculation is that it is too similar to the AppleTV, and that Apple will close the gap between them.

Leopard will be out in four months, so that's not too long to wait to see what Apple does with the Mini line. They need some kind of cheap <$1k desktop. The Mac Pro spirals up well above $2.5k and beyond.

Well, I am serious considered buying a Macbook Pro at the end of June - so if the next few weeks see an upgrade for the Macbook Pro, all the waiting might have paid off.

Though I am still not entirely convinced that I should spent so much money on a notebook I might not use as my primary computer. But may I am wrong - the Macbook Pro seems a lot better equipped then my current desktop machine (even after I upgraded it a few months ago).

buzz

Adventurer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Well, I am serious considered buying a Macbook Pro at the end of June - so if the next few weeks see an upgrade for the Macbook Pro, all the waiting might have paid off.

Though I am still not entirely convinced that I should spent so much money on a notebook I might not use as my primary computer. But may I am wrong - the Macbook Pro seems a lot better equipped then my current desktop machine (even after I upgraded it a few months ago).
We're deploying MacBook Pros at work, and they rule. Performance is very comparable to my Dual G5 at home.

ssampier

First Post
Bad Paper said:
I would not bother. As I post this, it has been almost nine months since the Mini was updated. This is essentially a death knell for an Apple product. The mini will soon go the way of the cube. Speculation is that it is too similar to the AppleTV, and that Apple will close the gap between them.

Leopard will be out in four months, so that's not too long to wait to see what Apple does with the Mini line. They need some kind of cheap <$1k desktop. The Mac Pro spirals up well above $2.5k and beyond.

Interesting. I thought the Mini was popular - always better things afoot, I suppose.

I'd like to see a normal desktop model, but what do I know. :lol:

Bad Paper

First Post
ssampier said:
Interesting. I thought the Mini was popular - always better things afoot, I suppose.

I'd like to see a normal desktop model, but what do I know. :lol:
I totally agree with you. I like the mini form factor, and think it's perfect for what it is. Except that it's getting slow. A few months ago a friend of mine wanted a cheap PC for <$600. I convinced her to drink the Kool-Aid and pony up a bit less than $800 for a loaded Mini. She is completely happy with it, and it will last a long time.

Rackhir

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:

They just introduced reved Macbook Pros today. Minor speed bump on the processors (2.2 and 2.4 core2duo), Santa Rosa Chipsets (main improvement is an 800mhz FSB). The most awaited change is the LED backlighting on the screens, which makes the battery life longer and should improve the brightness/color consistancy on the screens.

They've also gotten a bump on the graphics chip, it's now a Geforce 8600 mobile vs the older Radeon x1600. Supposedly good for about a 50% boost in 3D games.

MIA is usage of some sort of Flash Memory as cache/storage. I'm guessing you'll see them in the January rev.

Edit: Apparently the 17" model does not have the LED backlight yet. Probably at the Jan rev for that model then.

Last edited:

Rackhir said:
They just introduced reved Macbook Pros today. Minor speed bump on the processors (2.2 and 2.4 core2duo), Santa Rosa Chipsets (main improvement is an 800mhz FSB). The most awaited change is the LED backlighting on the screens, which makes the battery life longer and should improve the brightness/color consistancy on the screens.

They've also gotten a bump on the graphics chip, it's now a Geforce 8600 mobile vs the older Radeon x1600. Supposedly good for about a 50% boost in 3D games.

MIA is usage of some sort of Flash Memory as cache/storage. I'm guessing you'll see them in the January rev.

Edit: Apparently the 17" model does not have the LED backlight yet. Probably at the Jan rev for that model then.
Yeah, I read about this already. IIRC, on top of that, it also good 100 $ (or 100 €?) cheaper - seems like I picked a good time to consider buying a Macbook Pro. :) I guess, I will get out to order one at the end of this month. (During my vacation - want to be home when the shipment arrives)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads