D&D 5E Magic Ammunition

"At the end of the battle, you can recover half your expended ammunition by taking a minute to search the battlefield."

Surely you'll get back half your magic arrows after every fight.
Oh? I must have missed that. So, on average, you get two shots out of each magical arrow.

I'm still not seeing how they're ever worth using, unless you're fighting something which specifically requires a magical weapon in order to damage.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Magical ammunition is "expended" on a successful hit.

You have a bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this piece of magic ammunition. The bonus is determined by the rarity of the ammunition. Once it hits a target, the ammunition is no longer magical.

Last edited:

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
Aha!

I missed that. Now we're back where we started. Er, not quite.. They're not expended unless they hit. I guess it's up to the DM if they're part of the half ammunition you get back or if they fly off into the stratosphere (or an innocent bystander just off-camera)

I'm going to be honest and say I think magical ammo is intended to be a resource you expend when you absolutely must have the extra oomph. Which, from looking at 5E, is going to be pretty rare; most of the time, a magical bow and normal arrows will probably do the job.

So, I would say to think of it less as being a necessity or item that players must have and more of a temporary resource they gain to use when they absolutely need it.

My players found a +1 arrow as part of a treasure in our last session. I'm letting them recover it every combat until it actually hits something. I think it's a fair compromise with a magic item that - we all should agree - is not very exciting. That said, at this point in the campaign they have no other magic weapons, and fought against creatures with resistance to non-magical weapons twice. Since their archer is a rogue, I expect the +1 arrow to do more than add 1 to damage when it finally connect. :)

CapnZapp

Legend
The plus bonus is so coveted because it applies to every attack, of which you will be making many throughout the game. In most games, the attack roll will be your single most common type of d20 roll, so adding a bonus to that will have a greater (cumulative) effect than adding the same bonus to any other type of check.

But arrows ignore the part about the plus that would actually make it useful or desirable in any way. No matter how many attacks you make, that +1 arrow will only ever modify a single d20 roll. If your attack misses, in spite of that +1 bonus, then the item was entirely worthless for you and you would have been better off had the thief replaced your magical arrow with a non-magical one. If your attack hits by a margin greater than 1, then the +1 bonus on the attack roll was entirely worthless but you still gain a ~10% boost to the damage roll (which, itself, only matters at all if the enemy is brought to exactly 0, and dealing one damage less would have left it alive and acting with 1hp).

So that's not my view of +1 arrows. It's a mathematical fact that a +1 arrows only meaningfully increase your efficacy ~5% of the time, and the rest of the time it either does nothing or increases your damage by a negligible amount.
Look: the glass is half empty!

No, it's half full!

What I mean by this is that magic ammo provides you with an opportunity to give out a fraction of a coveted bonus. That's mathematical fact! :)

So, no. It's not worthless. It's an opportunity to enjoy the plus bonus so coveted for a while but not permanently.

Sure, a single +1 arrow isn't much. But it's not nothing, and it's not worthless.

As soon as you have ten of them, you have a reliable source of your plus bonus for a good part of a fight, especially at low levels. Not to mention a way to hurt non-magic resistant monsters.

So, since you like maths, I have a question for you.

How many attacks do you make during a session? 10? 20? 100?

Because no matter your reply, ten +1 arrows will still represent a tangible (coveted even!) bonus to a significant share of those attacks.

Which is perfect for the DM when handing out a +1 bonus permanently is a bit too much. After all, you only get three such bonuses and you're filled up. Unless you only want three presents in your life, magic ammunition is a great way to provide little extras that are sure to be appreciated. :)

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm going to be honest and say I think magical ammo is intended to be a resource you expend when you absolutely must have the extra oomph. Which, from looking at 5E, is going to be pretty rare; most of the time, a magical bow and normal arrows will probably do the job.

So, I would say to think of it less as being a necessity or item that players must have and more of a temporary resource they gain to use when they absolutely need it.
Or...

...you could not hand out magical bows... and then those arrows will look mighty tempting... :)

CapnZapp

Legend
My players found a +1 arrow as part of a treasure in our last session. I'm letting them recover it every combat until it actually hits something.
If you mean the arrow doesn't break on a miss, then yes: that's actually part of the core rules.

If a character shoots it down into the Cliffs of Doom, however, I would make it an adventure to retrieve it at the very least.

Paraxis

Explorer
I don't do magic arrows like +1-3 in my games, I don't like that they stack with magic bows and I think having odd magical effects on them is funner.

So arrows of frost (damage + slow effect), fire (damage + burning effect), grappling arrows, darkness, silence, all that stuff just like potions or scrolls, and because of that I normally only hand out one or two at a time just like potions and scrolls.

If I did +1 arrows, it would be for those guys who don't have magic ranged weapons and they would come in bundles around 10 or so I guess.

Remove ads