• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Magic Aura" spell... for PERSONAL auras?

So what level would that Magic Aura variant be?

• 3rd level

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2nd level

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1st level

Votes: 2 100.0%

Jimlock

Adventurer
So... if we created a "Magic Aura" variant that allowed the caster to affect a single aura on himself instead of a single aura on an item (no other changes)... would that affect the spell's level?

So we get this:

Magic Aura
Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Brd 1, Magic 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched object weighing up to 5 lb./level
Duration: One day/level (D)
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: No
You alter an item’s aura so that it registers to detect spells (and spells with similar capabilities) as though it were nonmagical, or a magic item of a kind you specify, or the subject of a spell you specify.

If the object bearing magic aura has identify cast on it or is similarly examined, the examiner recognizes that the aura is false and detects the object’s actual qualities if he succeeds on a Will save. Otherwise, he believes the aura and no amount of testing reveals what the true magic is.

If the targeted item’s own aura is exceptionally powerful (if it is an artifact, for instance), magic aura doesn’t work.

Note: A magic weapon, shield, or suit of armor must be a masterwork item, so a sword of average make, for example, looks suspicious if it has a magical aura.

Focus
A small square of silk that must be passed over the object that receives the aura.

and make this:

Personal Magic Aura
Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Brd 1, Magic 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: One day/level (D)
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: No
You alter a personal magical aura (a single aura deriving from any spell cast by you or another, from any Spell-Like Ability or any Supernatural Ability) so that it does not register to detect spells (and spells with similar capabilities), or so that it registers as a magic aura of a kind you specify

Focus
A small square of silk that must be passed over the object that receives the aura.

EDIT: This variant would not replace the existing spell. It would simply be a new spell that allows one to alter personal auras

Last edited:

Jimlock

Adventurer
So, if I was Evil, this would hide the fact that I was evil to a Detect Evil, and I could appear as good?

No. That would make the spell overly powerful.
An "evil" aura (or any alignment aura) is not a magical aura.

The spell would only alter the auras perceived by Detect Magic, Arcane Sight and all (Sp)s and (Su)s based on those.
...In exactly the same way the core Magic Aura spell works.

Perhaps I should rephrase the spell but I think that when we talk about "magical auras" we are only talking about those auras detected/seen by Detect Magic and relevant abilities...

Last edited:

Jack Simth

First Post
So... basically you want Misdirection without a save, limited to one spell per casting? If it only affects one spell you're wearing, you've got a problem: The aura alteration spell itself will register (Magic Aura gets around this by way of it affecting the aura of the object).

Probably 2nd level, maybe 3rd, depends on the game.

Jimlock

Adventurer
So... basically you want Misdirection without a save, limited to one spell per casting?

Probably 2nd level, maybe 3rd, depends on the game.

Not Really.

Misdirection affects all auras:

By means of this spell, you misdirect the information from divination spells that reveal auras (detect evil, detect magic, discern lies, and the like). +Detect Undead+whatever else I'm missing...

whilst the proposed MA variant affects only magical auras, meaning that it affects/trumps only Detect Magic and derivatives.

This is enough to make the two spells very different. Moreover, as you mentioned, Misdirection can conceal/alter plenty of auras at the same time (both those concealed on the subject and those imported from the creature/object), a fact the differentiates Misdirection even more in regard to the MA variant (which can affect a single personal aura)

...Even without the save I don't see how the variant MA is relevant or even stronger in power compared to Misdirection.

I my self place it at 1st level.

Jack Simth

First Post
Not Really.

Misdirection affects all auras:

By means of this spell, you misdirect the information from divination spells that reveal auras (detect evil, detect magic, discern lies, and the like). +Detect Undead+whatever else I'm missing...

whilst the proposed MA variant affects only magical auras, meaning that it affects/trumps only Detect Magic and derivatives.
Err... when I mentioned the limitations on the variant vs. Misdirection, I mentioned "affects one spell". You even quoted me.
This is enough to make the two spells very different. Moreover, as you mentioned, Misdirection can conceal/alter plenty of auras at the same time (both those concealed on the subject and those imported from the creature/object), a fact the differentiates Misdirection even more in regard to the MA variant (which can affect a single personal aura)

...Even without the save I don't see how the variant MA is relevant or even stronger in power compared to Misdirection.

I my self place it at 1st level.

... you really don't see how it could get very useful? Granted, it's situational, but...

Intimidation: Well, yes, your spells are telling you I'm under the effects of a 9th level spell. I'm just that good of a caster.
Misdirection: He's the Wizard! Get him!
Stealth: Supplements other spells, such as Superior Invisibility, so that you don't trip certain types of things that would normally bypass it (and Arcane Sight can be made permanent).

Oh yes, and don't forget Days/level vs. hours/level, although that'll almost never come up as most spells don't last that long.

Lacking the save makes it very difficult to bypass, making it quite worthwhile for any mage interested in stealth, especially in combination with the normal version of Magic Aura. Leaving the save means there's a die roll every time it comes up, which is good for the game.

Jimlock

Adventurer
Err... when I mentioned the limitations on the variant vs. Misdirection, I mentioned "affects one spell". You even quoted me.

?

I quoted you so as to point out that it's different from misdirection in respect to the number of different kinds of auras each spells fools.

Misdirections alters ALL kinds of auras (as I quoted in green from the SRD in my previous post) while the variant affects ONLY magical auras, meaning that it affects only Detect Magic and derivatives. I don't see what the "affects one spell" has to do with that. With the variant I cannot hide my alignment, my lies, the fact that I'm an undead... etc...

So when you say:

So... basically you want Misdirection without a save, limited to one spell per casting?

the answer is no, because of the differentiation I mentioned above.

I hope its clear this time around.

Last edited:

Jimlock

Adventurer
Intimidation: Well, yes, your spells are telling you I'm under the effects of a 9th level spell. I'm just that good of a caster.

You can achieve the same thing with Magic Aura as is.

You simply alter one (or more!!!) item's aura and you make it blindingly powerful (caster level 9th as well).

From Detect Magic:
Magical areas, multiple types of magic, or strong local magical emanations may distort or conceal weaker auras.

Misdirection: He's the Wizard! Get him!

I mentioned that the variant is personal.

Stealth: Supplements other spells, such as Superior Invisibility, so that you don't trip certain types of things that would normally bypass it (and Arcane Sight can be made permanent).

So be it. Superior Invisibility is an 8th level spell. It deserves some respect.

A 3rd level detection spell that counters an 8th level stealth spell sounds a lot more broken to me.

Oh yes, and don't forget Days/level vs. hours/level, although that'll almost never come up as most spells don't last that long.

You can have that one. Even though, as you mentioned that doesn't change much.

Lacking the save makes it very difficult to bypass, making it quite worthwhile for any mage interested in stealth

Sure, but don't forget that it alters ONLY magical auras. It cannot save you from Detect alignment spells, Detect Undead, Detect Lies etc.... (Like Misdirection does alas with a save).

Remove ads