• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic Blacksmith Soldier

Wepwawet

Explorer
Hey guys, I need your help implementing a character.

One player wants to play a blacksmith, with the ability to make magic weapons and armour, enchanting them with runes and stuff.
It's an army blacksmith, that got tired of fighting and decided to retire and create a family and live in a small village.

What do you think? Is there any way to make it? What is the closest we can get to this concept?

Unadvisedgoose

First Post
From what I understand, magic item creation, and the majority of concrete info on magic items in general, will be found in the DGM. So, personally, I'd wait until then. But if you're asking for an alternative system to use until that comes out, someone more experienced than myself will have to speak up.

Wepwawet

Explorer
Yeah, I mean a way to emulate that. No way a 1st level character would forge magic items. In any case we don't have item creation rules.

So, from a brief conversation we had I suggested him an Eldritch Knight... Like, it's a fighter, and it has magic... But it doesn't feel much like a blacksmith

Another option is taking the soldier (blacksmith) background with a magic-user class. I think Wizard (Transmutation) would fit with the artificer theme...

Is there any better way?

Astrosicebear

First Post
Hey guys, I need your help implementing a character.

One player wants to play a blacksmith, with the ability to make magic weapons and armour, enchanting them with runes and stuff.
It's an army blacksmith, that got tired of fighting and decided to retire and create a family and live in a small village.

What do you think? Is there any way to make it? What is the closest we can get to this concept?

The DMG will have this info. For now, treat it as 3.5. Feats required, and since 5e tops out at +3 arms and armor, treat +3 as 3.5 +5 and adjust the costs accordingly.

But if hes retired and with a family, is he going to be OK being an adventurer? Gathering the proper components and materials will require research, study, and a good team of explorers, and possibly years away from his family... not something he may be up for. Makes a great NPC tho.

GameDoc

Explorer
I'd make a wizard with the soldier background. On the table for soldier specialties have him choose the last one, which if I recall correct reflects support personnel like cooks, armorers, etc. Let him swap out the gaming set proficiency for proficiency with armorer's tools.

The real trick is coming up with a magic item creation system until the DMG comes out. You could look at the Pathfinder system for an ideas. But generally the ability to create items costs a feat or some other investment to and up for introducing such a powerful resource to the player.

Wepwawet

Explorer
But if hes retired and with a family, is he going to be OK being an adventurer?

Either he left the army before having his family, or the cultists attack his home while he's away and kill everyone inside. That should give him a very good reason to adventure and fight the cult of the dragon.

GameDoc

Explorer
You could also limit him to minor, temporary enchantments until the DMG hits and we have more solid rules for creating permanent magic items. Basically, he can infuse a weapon, shield, or suit of armor with thing "a like true strike, blade ward, protection from evil/good, magic weapon, etc., but for only so many uses. Say, 50 gp per use, max 5 uses stored at any time. In all other respects use the rules for crafting mundane items to determine the time needed. Effectively you have a low-level artificer.

Wepwawet

Explorer
I'd make a wizard with the soldier background. On the table for soldier specialties have him choose the last one, which if I recall correct reflects support personnel like cooks, armorers, etc. Let him swap out the gaming set proficiency for proficiency with armorer's tools.
Ahh of course! Proficiency in armorer's tools, thank you, forgot that detail

You could also limit him to minor, temporary enchantments until the DMG hits and we have more solid rules for creating permanent magic items. Basically, he can infuse a weapon, shield, or suit of armor with thing "a like true strike, blade ward, protection from evil/good, magic weapon, etc., but for only so many uses. Say, 50 gp per use, max 5 uses stored at any time. In all other respects use the rules for crafting mundane items to determine the time needed. Effectively you have a low-level artificer.
Hum, good idea!

Unadvisedgoose

First Post
Yeah, I mean a way to emulate that. No way a 1st level character would forge magic items. In any case we don't have item creation rules.

So, from a brief conversation we had I suggested him an Eldritch Knight... Like, it's a fighter, and it has magic... But it doesn't feel much like a blacksmith

Another option is taking the soldier (blacksmith) background with a magic-user class. I think Wizard (Transmutation) would fit with the artificer theme...

Is there any better way?

Is the player intent upon playing a fighter, or martial character in general? I really want to homebrew an artificer class but I also need to wait for the DMG. Perhaps the Thief's Magic Item use feature will be useful as well? Otherwise, I think a Transmutation Wizard might be the best way to establish what he's looking for, for now. If he goes Eldritch Knight, maybe allow him transmutation spells in place of either abjuration or evocation?

Wepwawet

Explorer
Is the player intent upon playing a fighter, or martial character in general? I really want to homebrew an artificer class but I also need to wait for the DMG. Perhaps the Thief's Magic Item use feature will be useful as well? Otherwise, I think a Transmutation Wizard might be the best way to establish what he's looking for, for now. If he goes Eldritch Knight, maybe allow him transmutation spells in place of either abjuration or evocation?
It's more about enchanting weapons and armour than about using other magic items, the Thief's Magic Item feature wouldn't help much.
And yes, he's looking more at an actual fighter. I'll explain him about a war cleric or transmuter mage that could fill that same space... but I think he'd prefer a fighter.

That's a really good idea, using transmutation instead of evocation. I could also extend the duration of his spells that affect weapons and armor. Actually i don't even know which spells are those or how they work.. It won't be too unbalanced, will it?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads