Magic Created Items

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Kemrain said:
Transmutation is awsome.

Use a Stoneshape-like spell to give any object touched the consistancy of clay for the duration fo the spell. This way, you can mold glass, or rock, easily. The truely interesting art, however, is made by hand sculpting steel or precious metals at room temparature. Smelting objects together becomes tremendously easy. The only difficulty comes in trying to keep the structural integrity of the material once it's properties return to normal. A great way to make intricate things out of hard things. Don't cut gems, mold them! Can you see diamonds and a Play-Doh Spaghetti playset?

- Kemrian the Odd.

And think of the manufacturing processes possible with this. Diamond beads, mit holes and everything. Sapphire bumble bees, marble statues with no scrap, armor pieces pressed into shape instead of beaten.

I like your idea. :D

alsih2o

First Post
mythusmage said:
Ah, I did not know that.

Now, does this produce a single piece of glass, or many pieces of glass joined together by sutures? How small can the pieces be?

It is one piece of glas when you are done, where magic might come in in the size limits.

The pieces can be pretty darned small, the only thing you have to watch is to not have too broad a variation in dimension. They can be 1 inch to 3 feet as long as they are all the same relative thickness. :)

Frequently it takes the place of colored glass on a clear sheet, for better control and strength.

It can make some amaingly cool effects, I am shocked more people don't do it..

Either way, it's pretty neat. I'll use that in my campaign.

How about a potion that contains a memory for someone else to experience? (Like the old movie Brainstorm.) I use these in my campaign and I think I put them in BoEM. Yeah, it's a magic item in and of itself, but it's really more just the result of magic--the benefit is only in conveying something nonmagical.

Or, how about an item that stores an image or a sound to be experienced later?

shilsen

Adventurer
Monte At Home said:

How about a potion that contains a memory for someone else to experience? (Like the old movie Brainstorm.) I use these in my campaign and I think I put them in BoEM. Yeah, it's a magic item in and of itself, but it's really more just the result of magic--the benefit is only in conveying something nonmagical.

Doesn't Complete Arcane have a bottle which can do that (IIRC, it allows storing XP too)?

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
alsih2o said:
It is one piece of glas when you are done, where magic might come in in the size limits.

The pieces can be pretty darned small, the only thing you have to watch is to not have too broad a variation in dimension. They can be 1 inch to 3 feet as long as they are all the same relative thickness. :)

Frequently it takes the place of colored glass on a clear sheet, for better control and strength.

It can make some amaingly cool effects, I am shocked more people don't do it..

You learn things every day.

So uniformity of thickness matters. What about situations where you want or need to layer the glass? Or where you're using really small pieces? Micro or even nano beads for example.

And while I was thinking about this an idea came into my head. Apply the tone, color, tint, quality, whatever to a pane of glass, as if applying ordinary glass paint. Then cast a dweomer that allows the substance to sink into the glass to a specified depth. A different way to 'paint' glass.

Add a glass shaping spell (ala Kemrain), a number of 'tuning' spells applied to different sections, and enchant the item so moving air 'plays' it, and you could have rather unusual windchimes. Say a set of glass figurines that, with animate spells addded, dance in the wind on the porch rail to their own music. (Be sure to add a casting that wards the figurines from the edge.)

I think that makes sense.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Monte At Home said:

That has possibilities.

Some people are said to have the ability to 'read' items. To get psychic impressions from them. What's happened to them and/or around them. Who owned them or possessed them. That sort of thing. One could have a spell that 'embeds' information in an item. Sensory impressions, bits of knowledge. Taking a bit from Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light, even concepts and natures. Ballness for instance, or doorness.

Design the magic so the effect can be broadcast and you've got a new form of entertainment.

So, any possibility of a book of daily magic any time soon? ;)

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Just Thought of This

It involves a modified gem shaping spell. As the gem shaper molds the gemstone into its final shape (a small animal usually) the magic reshapes the interior so it takes on the appearance of the animal's anatomy. In the case of translucent or clear gems these muscles, bones, blood vessels, and organs can be seen. When the gem shaper is done the final enchantment takes place. This is when the gem animal appears to come to life, and the organs appear to start to function. According to some schools of thought the construction does come to true life.

There are said to be dweomers that allow the owner to see, hear, smell, touch, and taste things through the gem animal. A more advanced version of the gem shaping spell is said to allow spell casting through the gem animal. Though it's more likely that capability is gained through a separate magic.

Tables and chairs made of a tree grown into that shape.

Irons and bars with no seems or joints.

Fabric with no seems.

Swords made of one solid piece of metal.

All this could add a +2 to an break check or Escape Artist checks, due to having fewer material weaknesses.

The classic of steel turned partially into glass, so as to have strength AND transparency.

Now thats a thought. Use magic to fuse two dissimilar materials together in impossible ways. Steel silk, wooden armor that grows and repairs in sunlight and water, glass cloth, (grr, baby), ceramic paper, gold ink, inherently poisonus caltrops, coal fused wood that burns hotter and longer, solid oil that wont leak from a broken container, wooden arrowheads a strong as steel, yet flammable, and so on.

Last edited:

mythusmage said:
It involves a modified gem shaping spell. As the gem shaper molds the gemstone into its final shape (a small animal usually) the magic reshapes the interior so it takes on the appearance of the animal's anatomy. In the case of translucent or clear gems these muscles, bones, blood vessels, and organs can be seen. When the gem shaper is done the final enchantment takes place. This is when the gem animal appears to come to life, and the organs appear to start to function. According to some schools of thought the construction does come to true life.

There are said to be dweomers that allow the owner to see, hear, smell, touch, and taste things through the gem animal. A more advanced version of the gem shaping spell is said to allow spell casting through the gem animal. Though it's more likely that capability is gained through a separate magic.

Ooh, how about a clockwork or liquid metal heart? Replacement bones made of Mithral? A gem ar a glass eye that you can actually see out of?

With Stone to Flesh and the like, you could mold and repair scars or lost limbs. You could even alter your features, which would be permanant upon your return to flesh. Fantasy plastic surgery and a great black market niche villains would love.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
mythusmage said:

"I'm a REAL boy!"

Remove ads