Magic Item Compendium - DMG Magic Item Prices

Sejs

First Post
SeRiAlExPeRiMeNtS said:
Some DMG magic itens really shoud be repriced in MIC.. the Rod of alertnes for example is horrible overpriced.

It's the animate objects ability that drives the price way up, I'm almost certain of it. Remove that and it'd be much more reasonable.

The one that drives me nuts are Goggles of Night. Let's see, I can drop 12k and get 60' darkvision, or I can drop 14.9k on a Belt of Dwarvenkind and get 60' darkvision plus a whole lot more.

Feh.

Remathilis said:
Why are amulets of mighty fists soooo much more than buying "gauntlets" +1?

Why are they more than buy gauntlets of ogre power?

They're more expensive than a gauntlet because monsters get claw/claw/bite/rake/wing/wing/tail/rend/crush.

But yeah, it's overpriced. It's also frustrating there's no items that boost attacks and damage for thrown weapons.

Remathilis said:

Because they affect all unarmed and natural attacks. This includes bites, slams, unarmed strikes, claws, tail-slaps, and other such attacks. A gauntlet wouldn't allow you to make claw attacks and would do nothing for your attack forms that don't use your hands.

amethal said:
Yes, some were repriced.

The only example I know off the top of my head is Helm of Underwater Action, which had a pretty big price cut.

Its kind of a stealth errata, and if you use the accepted methods for resolving conflicts between sourcebooks, text in the DMG is going to easily trump a table in another sourcebook.

I couldn't find anywhere in the MIC that specifically said they were deliberately repricing DMG items, but I'm pretty sure Andy Collins said they had in an article on the WotC site (maybe in design and development).

EDIT http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20070302a

He didn't actually say it, on re-reading the article. He did imply it - and helm of UA was one of the specific examples he gave.
If I can be excused for quoting myself .....

Seems I chose an unfortunate example :)

Looks like they just copied the table in the DMG not realising (as I didn't) that it doesn't agree to the text.

Right, this calls for a random sample of magic items I've never seen anyone buy, ever.

Helm of Telepathy - same price
Well of many worlds - same price
Iron Flask - same price
Cloak of the bat - same price
Periapt vs poison - same price
Lantern of revealing - same price
Ring of improved climbing - same price

Apologies if these are some of your favourite magic items ....

I think none of the magic items in the DMG were repriced. I also think I owe Mistwell a retraction. Oh well, life is hard and then you die.

hong

WotC's bitch
Remathilis said:

They are balanced so that all those people playing hydras can't cheaply get up to 15 attack bonuses from the one item.

Nyarlathotep said:
?

Don't all potions follow the same pricing scheme... 75gp X Spell Level X Caster Level
I think you mean 50 gp x SL x CL

Per the table on MIC page 256, potion of enlarge person is 50 gp. No other enlarges on DMG page 230 that I could see.

Last edited:

Remove ads