• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Compendium

hong

WotC's bitch
Kerrick said:
It would seem that way, yes... but they've also got those rules for combining several enchantments into one item. For instance, you have a Rog 18 (440K gp). He can get:

Bracers of armor +7 with +6 Dex (103K)*;
Amulet of natural armor +5 with +4 Con (74K)*;
Ring of protection +5 with a +10 skill bonus for climbing (55K)*;
Ring of mind shielding (8K);
Rapier +7 (market value, 98K);
Dagger/short sword +3 (market value, 18K);
Shortbow +3 (market value, 18K);
Cloak of resistance +4 (16).

That's 390K, meaning I've still 40,000 gp to spend on miscellaneous things, and I've still managed to get most of my "big six" items - a weapon, armor, two stat boosters, natural armor, and save bonus.

[I think I got those prices right; the paragraph in the MIC that explains combined item pricing is really ambiguous and unclear.]

It's pretty simple, really. If you want only big-six enchantments on an item, you add up the individual costs without any +50% fee for extra enchantments on the same item. You only pay the +50% extra if you want more than one funky special effect.

So:

Bracers of armor +7 with +6 Dex = 7^2*1000 + 6^2*1000 = 85000
Amulet of natural armor +5 with +4 Con = 5^2*2000 + 4^2*1000 = 66000
Ring of protection +5 with a +10 skill bonus for climbing = 5^2*2000 + 10^2*100 = 60000

Kerrick

First Post
It's pretty simple, really. If you want only big-six enchantments on an item, you add up the individual costs without any +50% fee for extra enchantments on the same item. You only pay the +50% extra if you want more than one funky special effect.
That's.... insane. Before, adding multiple abilities of ANY kind was "multiply the higher price by 2"; now it's "Multiply the lower by 1.5" and adding bonuses is straight "add the prices together"? No way. I told my friend about that, and he said, "I"m a powergamer DM, and *I* wouldn't allow that."

My rogue would have 61,000 gp left over - enough for a nice set of boots, a couple wands, several potions, and miscellaneous nonmagical gear, and probably still have some gold left for a night on the town.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
On this topic, why are runestaffs such high level. They sort of powerup as a player powers up. Why wouldn't you give them out earlier and let wizards grow into their more powerful uses?

I think that many, many items have a level much higher than I'd prefer.

MarkB

Legend
Stalker0 said:
One thing to consider with the whole "lower max gold per item" thing that's going on in the tables, is this is exactly the mindset MIC is encouraging. Look at the prices of most of the items, they are very very cheap. I think the MIC is encouraging players to have lots of little toys instead of throwing all their gold into a few uber items. The tables simply reinforce this further.
Exactly. You've got to look at those tables in the context of the new approach to magic items that the book is encouraging. The idea is to offer players a wide enough choice of items at any price range that they'll invest in a range of different items instead of just concentrating on the one or two essentials. And if you buy a wider range of items, then inevitably the amount you can afford to spend on any one item will go down.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
James McMurray said:
Can you wuote it here for those of us that aren't registered at circvsmaximvs?

Sure.

Adding Common Item Effects to Existing Items

One of the most frustrating roadblocks to using interesting, unusual magic items is that they take up body slots that you need for an ability-boosting item (such as gauntlets of ogre power), a ring or protection, or another must-have item. To address this issue, Magic Item Compendium presents official rules for adding common item effects to existing magic items.

Table 6-11: Adding/Improving Common Item Effects presents a list of common item effects, from ability score enhancement bonuses to energy resistance, and the price to add that effect to an item.

The table also indicates the appropriate body slot (or slots) for each effect. For example, you can add an enhancement bonus to Charisma only to an item that occupies the head or shoulders body slot (such as a headband or cloak). A DM can choose to deviate from this guideline, but should avoid nonsensical combinations (such as gloves that provide a bonus to Wisdom).

Adding one of these effects to an existing item works much like creating an item from scratch. The crafting character must meet the given prerequisites, must expend gold equal to one-half the price and XP equal to 1/25 the price, and must spend 1 day per 1,000 gp of the price.

Example: Lidda has a pair of boots of striding and springing, and she wants to add a Dexterity bonus (rather than buying gloves of Dexterity). Her friend Mialee isn’t around, so Lidda must track down a stranger to do the work. She pays the wizards 4,000 gp, and four days later her boots now also grant her a +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity. When Lidda later decides to improve the bonus to +4, she manages to talk Mialee (who has the Craft Wonderous Items feat and knows the cat’s grace spell) into performing the work. After spending eight 8-hour days of work and expending 6,000 gp of components (likely supplied by Lidda) and 480 XP, Mialee succeeds in increasing the +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity to +4.

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=03242007231138mt4.jpg

two

First Post
MerricB said:
I'm quite happy that they didn't up the price to include material I wouldn't use.

Cheers!

Felon said:
Please elaborate on this peculiar response. How exactly do you know that everything they cut was material you wouldn't use? Then we can go into the implicit notion that all the new items they included instead was stuff you have greater use for.

Just the normal and expected knee-jerk Merric defense of all things holy, i.e. WOTC.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
two said:
Just the normal and expected knee-jerk Merric defense of all things holy, i.e. WOTC.
Moderator's Notes
Absolutely inappropriate, two. I need you to not post in this thread again, and I need you to review the forum rules. You must maintain civility, courtesy, and respect, even toward your archnemesis, should said archnemesis ever choose to post on this board.

Daniel

shilsen

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
Shil,

Only YOU would make the comment about intelligent loin cloths as intelligent magic items. :p

Hey, you have Orcus - I have intelligent loincloths! Everybody needs a ... um ... er ... specialty. Yeah, that's it!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads