• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Compendium

just__al

First Post
VirgilCaine said:
Personally, a RESTRICTION like that is distasteful to me. More, smaller items being more effective, well, that's up to the PCs to decide. I go with 1/2 wealth.

When characters come in above 2nd level they can spend 40% on one item and no more than 20% on other items (but I'll let them reach if somehting rather useful is 41-45%)

Seems to have worked out well. I don't want to see somebody come in with an intelligent greatsword and a loin cloth...

shilsen

Adventurer
just__al said:
Seems to have worked out well. I don't want to see somebody come in with an intelligent greatsword and a loin cloth...

What about a greatsword and an intelligent loincloth? Or a greatsword in an intelligent loincloth, IYKWIMAITYD?

Inquiring (and slightly disturbed, or so say my players) minds want to know.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Just a brief note on the "item level" system. After reading it, you can trade in two items of a particular level for one of the next level up. The book mentions that this is a way for a character to have one or two powerful items, at the expense of most of the rest of their equipment. So it is possible for a PC or NPC to have a more powerful item than "normal" and still use the system.

Thought you'd like to know.

--Steve

Arnwyn

First Post
SteveC said:
Just a brief note on the "item level" system. After reading it, you can trade in two items of a particular level for one of the next level up. The book mentions that this is a way for a character to have one or two powerful items, at the expense of most of the rest of their equipment. So it is possible for a PC or NPC to have a more powerful item than "normal" and still use the system.

Thought you'd like to know.
Indeed - I did notice that, and that does put it closer to a 25% limit.

But still, wow... that's a far cry from the 50% that some ENWorlders use. And I do wonder what the WotC designers' assumption was/is when they develop CRs. 25 point buy? Check. GP wealth per level? Check. Maximum value of magic item? Maybe 25%...(?)

[Note that my MIC-related posts re: Item Levels are just a musing about the assumptions and expectations built into the system - knowing the guidelines allows me to better understand how the decisions I make affect the game.]

Vocenoctum

First Post
Arnwyn said:
Indeed - I did notice that, and that does put it closer to a 25% limit.

But still, wow... that's a far cry from the 50% that some ENWorlders use. And I do wonder what the WotC designers' assumption was/is when they develop CRs. 25 point buy? Check. GP wealth per level? Check. Maximum value of magic item? Maybe 25%...(?)

[Note that my MIC-related posts re: Item Levels are just a musing about the assumptions and expectations built into the system - knowing the guidelines allows me to better understand how the decisions I make affect the game.]

PHB2 has a "how to buy" guide, I don't have it handy, but IIRC a weapon was suggested as 40-50%, then armor and other stuff.

hamishspence

Adventurer
Randomisation

I thought that the table had one big advantage. If you are a lazy dm, and randomly generate treasure, the table heavily nixes the risk of having an item way above character level. Using the DMG system, a (VERY LUCKY) roll on the major magic item table might mean that 10th level party beating 10th level monster gets a staff of power. BAD idea. And resentment if DM takes it away from party. with MIC table, you need a very lucky roll at 20th level, a 19th level party cannot find one.
the table implys that the lower limit for items should be 5 levels lower, upper limit 5 levels higher. Pretty sensible.

I liked the runestaffs. Augment crystals were a little too good, but if kept rare should not be overpowering.

Pity there are no artifacts, but I suppose they should have a book to themselves.

Stalker0

Legend
One thing to consider with the whole "lower max gold per item" thing that's going on in the tables, is this is exactly the mindset MIC is encouraging. Look at the prices of most of the items, they are very very cheap. I think the MIC is encouraging players to have lots of little toys instead of throwing all their gold into a few uber items. The tables simply reinforce this further.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Shil,

Only YOU would make the comment about intelligent loin cloths as intelligent magic items. :p

Aggy,

Don't worry mate. I felt the same way even BEFORE I read more than a couple pages. The weapons didn't do much for me, nor did the armors. The rest...meh.

Kerrick

First Post
PHB2 has a "how to buy" guide, I don't have it handy, but IIRC a weapon was suggested as 40-50%, then armor and other stuff.
Yeah, it's under "A la Carte Shopping." They provide this section if you're in a rush, or don't know how (or are uncomfortable with) making/equipping a PC above 1st level. It says to check the NPC lists at your level for a rough idea of what you'll need, then gives you a remaining budget after you buy all that stuff. With the remainder, you spend 50% on a weapon, 75% of what's left on armor, and the rest on miscellaneous items - stat booster first, then whatever else you want and can afford.

I thought that the table had one big advantage. If you are a lazy dm, and randomly generate treasure, the table heavily nixes the risk of having an item way above character level. Using the DMG system, a (VERY LUCKY) roll on the major magic item table might mean that 10th level party beating 10th level monster gets a staff of power. BAD idea. And resentment if DM takes it away from party.
If the DM rolls out in the open, instead of rolling in secret to determine what the party gets, then he's an idiot, and he deserves what he gets. Random treasure should always be vetted for appropriateness before it's handed off to the players, no matter if the DM's doing it beforehand, when they find the loot, or after they crack open the chest in the town to see what's inside.

One thing to consider with the whole "lower max gold per item" thing that's going on in the tables, is this is exactly the mindset MIC is encouraging. Look at the prices of most of the items, they are very very cheap. I think the MIC is encouraging players to have lots of little toys instead of throwing all their gold into a few uber items. The tables simply reinforce this further.
It would seem that way, yes... but they've also got those rules for combining several enchantments into one item. For instance, you have a Rog 18 (440K gp). He can get:

Bracers of armor +7 with +6 Dex (103K)*;
Amulet of natural armor +5 with +4 Con (74K)*;
Ring of protection +5 with a +10 skill bonus for climbing (55K)*;
Ring of mind shielding (8K);
Rapier +7 (market value, 98K);
Dagger/short sword +3 (market value, 18K);
Shortbow +3 (market value, 18K);
Cloak of resistance +4 (16).

That's 390K, meaning I've still 40,000 gp to spend on miscellaneous things, and I've still managed to get most of my "big six" items - a weapon, armor, two stat boosters, natural armor, and save bonus.

[I think I got those prices right; the paragraph in the MIC that explains combined item pricing is really ambiguous and unclear.]

Remove ads