• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Compendium

Kerrick

First Post
If you are referring to the tables on page 227 - these are for npcs, so you have to compare it to npc wealth. Take level 7 for example: the most expensive items are set at 1/4 wealth!
Right, they're mainly designed for NPCs, and they do very well in that regard. However, it states in the paragraphs above Table 6-3 (which is the item levels table):

Coincidentally, an item's level also provides a useful guideline to the DM as to when such an item becomes appropriate for the PCs. In general, PCs should own items of their own level or lower.
All items in the book use this level system - that's how they came up with the levels. Therefore, all PCs are constrained by it, if the DM chooses to use it as a guideline.

It does, however, go on to say:

Be warned that this system consciously trades precision for speed... it does [not] replicate what you could purchase with the "normal" system available. When making an important NPC, building a player character's equipment list for a long-term campaign, or designing a treasure hoard... consider using the normal rules in place of these.
So... what was the point of using item levels again? *scratches head*

Vocenoctum

First Post
Kerrick said:
So... what was the point of using item levels again? *scratches head*
Speed for random NPCs, rather than intricate types like master villains or PCs.

Whether it was worth the page-count dedicated to it, I can't say. :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I think there is no point to this book other than to confuse the hell out of us people that liked magic items the way they were. Or at least something like they were.

JustKim

First Post
Nightfall said:
I think there is no point to this book other than to confuse the hell out of us people that liked magic items the way they were. Or at least something like they were.
What way were they?

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Its just lovely -
tonight the players found
Acrobatic boots, 900gp
armor of improved agility. +4000gp
Gloves of the starry Sky 1,100gp

total gp value = 6000
total dollars = 34.95
fun = priceless

I can be value stingy, and fun generous
One problem I had is that the greater crystals are found long before the +3 weapons
so I'm just discarding those.
Only the starry gloves were given to the wrong PC, I don't think that Psionic points can power a spell slot item.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well whatever works for you mister Halfling. Me I like my stinginess with a side order of "You can do that with spells!" :p

Stalker0

Legend
In general, love the new books. There's a few items I scoff at, but in general I think the abilities are pretty good. I will say though, that many of this items would be overpowered if allowed as slotless items. The x2 cost does not make up for the mass variety of powerful abilities you could rack up.

Also, looking in the back, it seems that you can now add stat bumps to items with other powers AT COST!! I can have a belt of awesome whatever and add +6 str to it for only 36000 instead of the 54000 it would cost under current rules (x1.5 for merging items).

I'm guessing this is so players can have their big 6 items and still have other cool stuff too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads