• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Pricing: Fast Healing 5

Thanee

First Post
What would you set as a base price for a ring of fast healing, which works exactly like Fast Healing 5 (only heals damage, that has been taken while the ring was worn)?

Bye
Thanee

Scion

First Post
ring of regen regrows limbs, and is way overpriced for what it does anyway (since nothing really cuts off limbs in a useful fashion that ability is moot, and gaining hp every hour as though you rested a night is weak when you can afford a 90k item.. at that point if you are relying on hours and hours to heal you then you are in trouble.. especially since you could've gotten a real healing item for less ;) )

But yeah, I think it would wind up being more than the price for ring of regen anyway.

Maybe something like 100k + 2*(fast healing rate)^2

So this item would be 150k.

Going by spells and such I believe there is a 1st level spell that gives fast healing 1 for about a minute (dont have the book and going off of memory so this may be completely wrong). That would put the price for the item 'very' low.

Looking at the uses of such an item though, fast healing 1 means almost nothing in battle.. basically you wont bleed to death and for really long battles it might net you a few hp. Also, so long as you have a few minutes to rest up before your next battle you dont need to be healed (10 points/minute = 600 points/hour, raise your hand if your character wont be completely healed in an hour so we know who is 'way' into the epic range). So this item would basically make it unnecissary for you to recieve healing outside of battle most of the time. The price of 102k given above seems all right for that ;)

Fast healing 5 is actually more useful in battle, as it is a psuedo DR 5 against any one attack. So, the higher the plus gets the more useful it is by far. Also, you have to wait much less time to be healed (3,000hp/hour? if it takes more than an hour to get your hp back now I dont think you are playing d&d anymore..lol)

So really, just off the top of my head I'd go with the 100k + 2*(fast healing)^2. There is likely a better way, or more useful calculation, but there is that at least.

Azazu

First Post
Complete Divine has a 5th level spell that grants Fast Healing 4 for 2 rds per level. Its called "Greater Vigour".

So by using this spell to make an item that would grant Fast Healing 4 is would cost:

(spell level)5 * (caster level)9 * 2000 = 90,000gp

this is then multiplied by 4 becuase the effect is continous based on a round length spell. (We could say maybe to multiply by three or three and a half since the spell duration is really 2 rds/level)

So total cost would be 360,000 gp.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Regenerate Critical Wounds from MotW grants Fast Healing 4 and lasts 10 rounds + 1 round/level. Maybe it would be a good basis for pricing. It's Clr 6 or Drd 5.

6*11*2000 = 132,000 gp.

Andargor

strongbow

First Post
Check the Epic Level Handbook, b/c I think that the Ring of Fast Healing 3 is 200,000 gp in there somewhere. Fast Healing 3 is an Epic Feat. Fast Healing 5 is arguably why the Vampire Template has such a high ECL. WOTC values Fast Healing a lot.

Azazu said:
Complete Divine has a 5th level spell that grants Fast Healing 4 for 2 rds per level. Its called "Greater Vigour".

So by using this spell to make an item that would grant Fast Healing 4 is would cost:

(spell level)5 * (caster level)9 * 2000 = 90,000gp

this is then multiplied by 4 becuase the effect is continous based on a round length spell. (We could say maybe to multiply by three or three and a half since the spell duration is really 2 rds/level)

So total cost would be 360,000 gp.

Multiply by 10x because it's an epic item.

Seriously though, the item is just begging to be broken. Tell the player/make the NPC have to take the epic feat or cast a spell instead.

Thanee

First Post
Ah, didn't know about the ring in the ELH, thanks. So about 330k then.
To base it on Greater Vigor is also a good idea... and comes close to this price, too. :)

To explain...

There is noone who wants to make such an item, but we found one (it was a replacement for a ring of vampiric regeneration, which was listed in an older adventure) recently.

We changed it, that it only heals damage taken, while the ring is worn, tho, to keep it from being a constant party healer. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Firzair

First Post
A bit OT, but instead of a ring of regeneration I'd buy a ring of cure light wound with 225 uses a day (90.000 gp / 400 gp). Sure a ring of regeneration functions without using an action, but the ring of CLW can be used on others and in shorter time.

Greetings
Firzair

Remove ads