• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

magic items and rewards for Adventurer's League

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I like the new system overall and think it make more sense than what LFR did (allowing multiple PC to select the same found item within an adventure).

Last edited:

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Hmm...

We want to keep magic items special in D&D Adventurers League play. They are meant to be rare, wondrous things
During an adventure, there may be a few (usually about 1-3 per four-hour session) consumable items found.
For permanent magic items...Each four-hour session averages about one
Anyone else see something wrong here?

Wraithdrit

First Post
Hmm...

Consumables need to be thought of as not magic items. Anything permanent is what they are talking about being rare. I think that is why you see one per adventure.

I for one really love the idea of 5th editions changes to magic items. I got really tired in previous editions of magic items being such a large part of the power curve. While I know that with the power curve adjusted so dramatically they are still important to the minmaxed characters, but for my more rp campaign it speaks to where I have wanted things to be for a long time.

- Wraith

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Hmm...

Compared to the official living campaigns for the last couple of editions, 1 permanent magic item for a table of 6 players each adventure slot is pretty rare.

One might have to play 6 adventures or more before one gets an item. And once one has a permanent magic item, one will have to sit at a table where everyone else has at least one item before getting a real shot at a second.

Thaumaturge.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Consumables need to be thought of as not magic items. Anything permanent is what they are talking about being rare. I think that is why you see one per adventure.
They said one per session. That means after 5ish sessions, everybody has one. Obviously it depends on how long the season is and how fast you level up, but that sounds like a lot to me.

I thought Scourge of the Sword Coast was a bit on the fast side, and that was like 5 items over 13 sessions and 3 levels.
Compared to the official living campaigns for the last couple of editions, 1 permanent magic item for a table of 6 players each adventure slot is pretty rare.
Wow. That must have been insane. I guess it shouldn't surprise me, though, given how 3e and 4e expect an ultra-high-magic world.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
They said one per session. That means after 5ish sessions, everybody has one. Obviously it depends on how long the season is and how fast you level up, but that sounds like a lot to me.

I thought Scourge of the Sword Coast was a bit on the fast side, and that was like 5 items over 13 sessions and 3 levels.

At this rate, a level 10 character would have about 5?

Would like to keep it at 3 or 4, so not a big dif, but a dif.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)

In living campaigns "session" is synonymous with "adventure" and covers roughly 4 hours of play.

And the 5 ish sessions will, likely, be with different groups of people. It would be quite possible at a convention to play 6 sessions, moving to a new table after each one, and sit at a table of other people who also don't have magic items. I wouldn't be surprised if some people go for more than 6 sessions without getting one.

Wow. That must have been insane. I guess it shouldn't surprise me, though, given how 3e and 4e expect an ultra-high-magic world.

Yeah, LG and LFR were both close to "by the book" on magic items. I had characters in both with pages of items both found and purchased.

Adventurers League has a magic item pace I'm, personally, much happier with.

Thaumaturge.

I don't know about this. The whole "certificate" thing is setting off alarms. Actually distributing the items makes sense to me, but how can you then not trade it unless you have a certificate? And certificates are only given out for particular items, only allow you to trade the item twice (IRM - Imaginary Rights Management), and can be found randomly when you pick up a "faction pack"? But some non-tradable items are also presented on certificates?

I notice that I am confused. Something that I believe must be false. This sounds like a lot more work than it should be.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
When they talk about things that you can spend gold on at the end of a session, they left out the most important items: Ale and Whores! ;)

As for the magic item distribution rules, this is where Role Playing and Game come into head-to-head conflict. They make great sense for playing a public game, but they make absolutely no sense in any kind of real-world role playing arena. ("What do you mean, I can't just give something I own away? Or sell it?")

Remove ads