• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Items and XP cost

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Hey, how do you calculate 1/25 of a magic item's cost? I tried multiplying the gp cost by .25 and that seems to be wrong (resulting XP costs too high compared to DMG examples).

Math is NOT my strong suit!!! :D

MythandLore

First Post
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
Hey, how do you calculate 1/25 of a magic item's cost? I tried multiplying the gp cost by .25 and that seems to be wrong (resulting XP costs too high compared to DMG examples).

Math is NOT my strong suit!!! :D
Try x0.04

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Thank you!!! Why this wasn't mentioned in the DMG, I'll never know. D&D may have helped my vocabulary, but it sure hasn't done my math skills much good, LOL!

Storm Raven

First Post
Kaptain_Kantrip said:

Why didn't you just divide the cost by 25?

dcollins

Explorer
Maybe he's one of them thar newfangled cyborg computers thingies that only has add and multiply operations on his CPU...

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Here's an easy rule of thumb:

1000 GP / 25 = 40 XP.

So for every 1000 GP a magic item costs (market price), it takes 40 XP to create.

Simple example: A cleric IMC wanted to make a +2 weapon. A +2 costs 8000 GP, so 8 * 40 XP = 320 XP to create the weapon.

Simple enough?

Remove ads