Magic items in Playtest

Croesus

Adventurer
Personally, I would LOVE if it was a "play it/use it" kinda default...but I seriously doubt that would fly with a LOT of players.

As a player, I completely agree. I remember checking out items in OD&D and 1E, with sometimes memorable (and hilarious) results.

As a GM, it was kind of a pain. I had to remember that the player had item X that did A, B, C - but couldn't tell the player, because his character didn't know all that. One item like this could be managed okay. Multiple items...? Not so much.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I hate wands providing +s to hit. That is a personal preference.

I don't want to play Harry Potter as a default and "need" (in order to keep the power curve) implements to cast spells. I found that, FOR ME (and me alone, not speaking for anyone else) a needless kludge from 4e.

I was hoping since magic items would be less common and not readily available for sale, things like that would be gone.

Implements are one of my favorite things from 4e. Wands, staffs, etc. make far more sense to me as spellcasting aids than they do as expendable spell storage devices. Though I do agree with you that players shouldn't "need" implements to keep up with the game's math. I feel the same way about +X weapons and armor. Hopefully, with 5e's flatter math, it will be easy to remove them from the game or hand them out sparingly without the PCs ending up being too weak.

If I had my way, there wouldn't be +X magic items at all. I'd prefer to focus on other interesting powers for weapons and implements, like flaming swords or staffs that let you apply metamagic-like effects to your spells.

Raith5

Adventurer
If you're going to balance the game so that melee combatants and spell casters are on equal footing without magic items and still want to have +3 Swords of Awesome you kind of need to have +3 Staves of Awesome. Thems the breaks.

Agree. I like the idea of +2 wands, holy symbols etc. They are one thing about 4th ed items that really impressed me. 4th ed magic items generally left me a little unimpressed, Im not sure if was the items, or the original limit on the number of times you could use them per day.

Stalker0

Legend
The staff of curing is a great item in the context of limited magic items.

If items are truely rare by default, then this staff is basically the equivalent of an extra HD or two of healing, nice but not game breaking.

Now if you could acquire 10 of these things, then you start getting into the problem.

Remove ads