• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic Items You'll Never Give Out

ccs

41st lv DM
I think it's safe to say that the only items I'll never hand out are Psionic items. (I assume these exist in some edition?)

Most items have a work around and are usually use-limited. The one I find the most broken is the Cloak of Displacement, especially with high AC, though many high-CR creatures can pierce the effect and there are methods of neutralizing the effect without a to-hit roll. Cube of Force can be potent, too, as it provides many minutes of coverage and can be very useful to a Polearm Master/GWM who sets it to 'no living creatures' mode.

Eh. That's a pretty goofy example, too. I mean, what self-respecting assassin is going to carry a trained chicken around with them when they go out on a job?

I assume you're joking, but to point out the obvious: your readied action is readied for whoever has the turn right before yours. It doesn't have to be a chicken.

The fact that this makes no sense from an in-character perspective (how do you even KNOW what the turn order is? why is there a "turn order" in the first place?) is all the fault of the cyclic initiative system.

The fact that this makes no sense from an in-character perspective (how do you even KNOW what the turn order is? why is there a "turn order" in the first place?) is all the fault of the cyclic initiative system.

Not to hijack too far, but the the cyclic initiative order is simple. Like most modern game design, in 5e simplicity trumps complexity. It's not perfect from a 'realism' stand point, but, take it from a guy who's actually played Phoenix Command, the alternative can be faaar worse.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Fair enough. The few times I've included sentient weapons in my games, I've mostly just let them fade into the background.

Exactly! That is one of my issues with it too: because of the way the 5e dying rules work, the periapt makes it so the PC can't be killed except by massive damage or by a deliberate effort on the part of the NPCs (read DM) to gang up on the downed PC.

I considered entitling this thread "DM/Player Hypocrisy", because I've found that, like you, when I DM, I want to limit what the players have access to for balance reasons and whatever else, whereas when I play, I want all the best things and to the Nine Hells with balance!
I would think that, in a world where magic jewelry is pretty common, of they found they couldn't kill him they would start removing anything that looks remotely magic. He's still unconscious, you know, and can't stop them.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Sir Brennen

Legend
You don't need even that. It would be easy to kill a periapt user as an Assassin. "My character draws an extra dagger." Main hand attack probably a crit. Off hand attack, probably a crit. Dead.

Definitely crits. A zero HP character is Unconscious. Per SRD on that condition:

• Attack rolls against the creature have advantage.
  • Any attack that hits the creature is a critical hit if the attacker is within 5 feet of the creature.
The question is, is the DM really going to have the assassin waste a turn on a downed character if there are other PCs up and more threatening? I could see it only if the DM needed to explain why the Periapt wearer didn't survive a TPK.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Bag of Holding and it's ilk.

I like players to establish supply chains and the likes. Cargo conveys for when they loot a dungeon complex, or raid a mountain lair. Which all gets negated by a Bag of Holding or Portable Hole.

Bag of Devouring's fine though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads