• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic Items You'll Never Give Out

ccs

41st lv DM
What's the equivalent of a Holy Avenger for a Rogue? For a fighter, etc? (Thinking Staff of the Magi would be it for the arcane spell casters).

EDIT: And would you give one out to the PCs?

Of course I would.
1st, trying to get them is great fodder for adventures. :) If I KNOW you want an ____? Then I can write for that.
Once you have the _____? Then I can write for that too.
2nd, these things probably won't be found just lying about in a treasure vault. Odds are if you want that vorpral sword? Then you're going to have to take it from the master swordsman who's currently wielding it....
3rd, If you DO find one of these things just lying about in a treasure hoard? I've probably got something written up....:)

Deck of Many Things

I almost said this. But while I think the Deck is a horrible thing to throw in randomly, it can be fun if you plan for it in advance.

I particularly like the idea of some entity challenging the PCs to a game with one. Where it's a simple "each side takes a card--or more than one--and keeps going until one side is wiped out or refuses to draw."

transtemporal

Explorer
In general, I find that magic items are a major source of friction between me and my players. They want more of them, they want to buy all the most powerful ones, and they hate finding one-use items. Like almost every DM ever, I prefer fewer magic items, and to avoid ones that'll unbalance the game (i.e. all the ones that the players want).

I DM and I don't worry about balance anymore. The last adventure I DMed I think I've given out more magic than I have ever given out, because magic items are fun.

The only item I maybe slightly regret giving them is a Cubic Gate since they bloody use it to teleport everywhere. Cest la vie.

Valetudo

Adventurer
I like to mix in a couple boring items with something fun and different. Something that either just seems to go with the pc or something that can cause problems for the group because its so special that it draws attention.

DaveDash

Explorer
Vorpal Sword - rolled for it and gave one out when my group got higher level. Foresight + Vorpal Sword = Nope never again.

Ioun Stone of Reserve - Wizard loads that up with Shield spells and gives that to the Paladin. Nope never again.

Deck of Many Things - Campaign Ender.

Magic bows - Just leads to Sharpshooter shenanigans.

That's it off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads