• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic Items You'll Never Give Out

Zardnaar

Legend
Vorpal Sword - rolled for it and gave one out when my group got higher level. Foresight + Vorpal Sword = Nope never again.

Ioun Stone of Reserve - Wizard loads that up with Shield spells and gives that to the Paladin. Nope never again.

Deck of Many Things - Campaign Ender.

Magic bows - Just leads to Sharpshooter shenanigans.

That's it off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.
I had a staff of striking end up on a Monk

Pauln6

Hero
I don't like things that monkey too much with the bounded accuracy so no weapons above +3 and more weapons at +0. No stacking of magical bonuses when it comes to armour and shields.

I've already house-ruled Gauntlets of Ogre Power and Girdles of Giant Strength so that they don't give a static strength score but instead add +2 for the former, capped at 19 and +4 for Girdles capped at 20-25. The Gauntlets allow the wearer to be treated as large for the purposes of carrying, shoving, etc. The Girdles allow the wearer to be treated as huge for the purposes of carrying, shoving, etc.

It means the character has to invest in strength to benefit from the high bounded numbers (including a magical strength boost to hit 25 for Girdle of Storm Giant Strength) but it gives other tangible benefits that actually make the items feel like they are genuinely making you more gianty.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Weapon of warning got cut entirely, as did the helm of comprehend languages (linguistics is a big thing in my campaign, so screw uncommon items that ignore that hurdle); I also made the items that grant flight at low rarity a higher rarity, or removed them entirely.

On the one hand, I like giving out magic items. It's fun, for me. On the other hand, I treat them like precious works of art; selling them is much more difficult then going to NPC A and just dumping it for gold. You could be walking around the city asking for offers for literally weeks before you find a buyer, all according to how lucky the player's are, and how rare the item is.

In addition, I always roll for magic items at all times; I removed the ones that needed to be removed. Beyond that, the dice determine what kind of magic items they get. My players know this, so if they find something, they know its there by fate and luck.

Of course, they're always retardedly lucky when it comes to those treasure rolls. This is how they got a luck blade at level 10.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I like the Weapon of Warning, but it should only work for the owner. Who still has to have the presence of mind to yell WAKE UP! to his friends.

discosoc

First Post
I seem to avoid bothering with the trash magic items that have overly-niche uses (create an anchor!), but I don't mind if they show up in random loot. I also don't like handing out magic armor in 5e because of the way the math works.

Other than that, the most common item for me to ban or avoid is the simple bag of holding. All that item tends to do is remove any thought as to what treasure the players want to take. That's fine if you want to run a generic dungeon crawl or consider roleplaying to consist of nothing more than grinding out combat encounters. It's just not for me.

whats wrong with giving your pussy , I mean pally some catnip? Besides didnt they nerf the :):):):) out of holy avengers in 5e?

Compared to 2e, yeah of course the 5e Holy Avenger is greatly nerfed. Compared to most other 5e weapons, though, it's still pretty damn good. But not overwhelmingly so.

But then again, the Holy Avenger had to be that good in 2e. A Paladin without it was pretty mediocre. 5e's Paladin is strong enough as a base class to not need the Holy Avenger to be that powerful.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads