• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic Missile vs. Mirror Image

Caliban

Rules Monkey
That applies to swords, too. If the caster can see the target and hit it, so can the sword wielder. Casters aren't special in their ability to not be fooled by the images.

No, but spells are. Ones that don't require an attack roll anyway.

So it wouldn't apply to swords, since they (generally) require an attack roll to hit.
But it would apply to a grapple attempt, since that doesn't use an attack roll. "Which image do you grapple?" "All of them, one big bear hug. This wizards new name is going to be 'George' and I'm going to hug him and pet him..."

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, but spells are. Ones that don't require an attack roll anyway.

I looked everywhere and nope, nowhere does it say that spells are omniscient and intelligent beings that cannot be fooled by mirror image. They DO say that the CASTER chooses the target, though. Caster, not spell. If a caster can choose the correct image, then a swordsman can as well. It's arbitrary and nonsensical for spells to be different. At least as the rules are written.

So it wouldn't apply to swords, since they (generally) require an attack roll to hit.
But it would apply to a grapple attempt, since that doesn't use an attack roll. "Which image do you grapple?" "All of them, one big bear hug. This wizards new name is going to be 'George' and I'm going to hug him and pet him..."
Another example of the arbitrary and nonsensical nature of the spell as it is written. You can't punch the right image, but you can grab it. Give me a break.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I looked everywhere and nope, nowhere does it say that spells are omniscient and intelligent beings that cannot be fooled by mirror image. They DO say that the CASTER chooses the target, though. Caster, not spell. If a caster can choose the correct image, then a swordsman can as well.

Dude, give it a rest. It's very clear in the rules. If it doesn't involve an attack roll, mirror image doesn't help.

Sorry you don't like it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Dude, give it a rest. It's very clear in the rules. If it doesn't involve an attack roll, mirror image doesn't help.

Sorry you don't like it.

I dislike capricious and arbitrary things. This spell is designed to screw over martial types even though it should by it's very nature be applied to spells, too.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I dislike capricious and arbitrary things. This spell is designed to screw over martial types even though it should by it's very nature be applied to spells, too.

Yeah, but the problem is you are complaining to ME about it. This is wrong on multiple levels:

A) I don't care. Really.

B) Even if I did care, I couldn't fix it.

Go tweet angrily at Crawford or something.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah, but the problem is you are complaining to ME about it. This is wrong on multiple levels:

A) I don't care. Really.

B) Even if I did care, I couldn't fix it.

Go tweet angrily at Crawford or something.

Me: Stuff about a subject.

You: Response to my stuff.

Me: Response to your response.

You: I don't care, go tell someone else!

If you don't want to be a part of the conversation, don't get involved with it. I really won't mind.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Me: More complaining.

I was responding because initially you had a point worth discussing. Now you are just complaining about a settled issue.

Seriously, I'm not your DM. If you don't like it, fix it for your game or ask your DM to fix it for you.

Telling me over and over again about how you don't like it is simply begging me for a level of empathy I don't have. :)

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I was responding because initially you had a point worth discussing. Now you are just complaining about a settled issue.

There's no such thing as a settled issue in 5e. It's a system designed around rulings OVER rules. ;)

Telling me over and over again about how you don't like it is simply begging me for a level of empathy I don't have. :)
Fair enough.

Brandegoris

First Post
Max person Winner
Caliban , Not so much. ( gets tired of discussion when someone doesn't agree, takes his ball and goes home with many insults).
LOLOLOLOL

Remove ads