• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic weapon that pierces DR/cold iron AND DR/silver?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Right, I'm working on a weapon that's effective against both tanar'ri (cold iron and good) and baatezu (silver and good). The more powerful ones, that is; the lesser ones only have DR/good, which blessed (BoED) takes care of.

So... Are there any weapons in 3.5 that can count as either material, as appropriate?

3.0 had a weapon quality (for +1) that let the weapon pierce DR up to +5. Is there something similar in 3.5?

Shin Okada

Explorer
There is a specific weapon called "Weapon of transmutation" in Miniatures Handbook. When this weapon hits a creature with DR, in the next round, it gains the appropriate properties to bypass that DR.

Last edited:

Go with a double-bladed sword. Make one side out of Cold Iron, the other out of Silver. Make both sides Holy. :)

There's also a property in the City of the Spider Queen module that allows the weapon to mimic any material-based DR, I believe. Called metalline, I think.

Alternatively, make the weapon out of Cold Iron, and give it the ability to coat itself in Silversheen (treats the weapon as silver) X times per day.

UltimaGabe

First Post
Darkness said:
So... Are there any weapons in 3.5 that can count as either material, as appropriate?

3.0 had a weapon quality (for +1) that let the weapon pierce DR up to +5. Is there something similar in 3.5?

I believe there's an ability in the Underdark supplement called Metalline (+2 bonus, I believe) that allows you to take a Standard Action to change the makeup of the weapon from any metal to another metal.

Anyway, the ability you're thinking of is Surestriking- it's been converted to 3.5, but it makes the weapon count as any alignment. So a +1 Surestriking Metalline longsword would overcome pretty much any (no, on second thought, any) damage reduction, with the exception of X/epic.

Tarril Wolfeye

First Post
UltimaGabe said:
So a +1 Surestriking Metalline longsword would overcome pretty much any (no, on second thought, any) damage reduction, with the exception of X/epic.
My Lich and my Clay Golem disagree (you forgot Bludgeoning/Piercing) :p

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Yeah - you want a Sure Striking, Metalline bite attack!

I always liked the idea of a schizophrenic Gyrspike - Axiomatic Holy Silver longsword, Anarchic Unholy Cold Iron flail. Both heads intelligent.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
drnuncheon said:
Make it Holy Bane (Evil Outsider) and remember that simply overpowering the DR is a viable path to take in 3.5.

And if it's +4, you'll even get past the Fiends with DR X/Epic!

-Hyp.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Thanks, guys. You rock! :)

Weapon of transmutation is good, but a too expensive addition, considering the cost my weapon has already. :heh:

Double-bladed sword is good but I need to make it a shuriken. ;) I should have mentioned that. My bad.
Don't have CotQS handy so I can't use that, alas.
Cold iron + silversheen is a good idea, considering that it (originally) was created for a monk, who's more likely to primarily slay CE outsiders.

Metalline... Well, that's just what I need. :cool: I think I'll create a custom ability based off of it that only allows silver (and back). (I already built the weapon as cold iron so I only have to add silver to make it work.) Very cool - thanks! :)

I don't know exactly what a gyrspike is, but the thought of a schizophrenic double weapon makes me laugh so hard that I'll have to build one some day. :D

Overpowering DR is good too. Alas, even with bane, I can't get the damage output high enough (i.e., to ca. 16) on a puny +1 returning cold iron shuriken. (The shuriken's main power is a slaying effect, BTW: Only works against fiends, Fort save DC 20 to survive. I just need to get through DR to get it to work.)

True, it wouldn't help against epic fiends but they are above the power level of this particular game anyway. If needed, though, it can be upgraded. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads